Froehling & Robertson Reviews

Sam Proctor

1. Flexible company that wants the best for it's employee's

Current Employee - Construction Materials Technician
    Current Employee - Construction Materials Technician

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible. I am a student and from day one I was told that I could come and go as necessary to attend classes and study for tests as long as I get my daily work done. The branch manager and the senior technician actively encourage my schooling stating that it will help, not only my career, but F & R as a whole. They were also quick to give me a shot even though I had little experience and are actively trying to get me certifications which will help my career immensely in the future. Also, they provide a company phone, company trucks (for work purposes) and will help you buy the necessary footwear (expensive steel-toed boots) by providing 200 dollars that you don't have to pay back if you work there long enough. I am very pleased with the overall atmosphere of helping employees to succeed and the trust and autonomy granted by the management.

Cons

Rate of pay much lower than the competition for the same job, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The 401K matching isn't all that great (6%). All of the trucks are older and have a lot of mileage. Upper management is a bit out of touch with what is done by the techs on a day to day basis.

Advice to Management

It is important, even for higher up personnel, to know how to do what the guys on the lowest levels do so you can more effectively and efficiently manage human resources.

2. Terrible Management

Former Employee - Leadership in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Leadership in Arlington, VA

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Unresponsive, stalling on reviews, promises of raises and bonuses that never come. Buys used equipment, and in poor condition. Labs are dirty. Staff morale is very low and they know they are underpaid

Cons

More of the same. Out of touch leadership. The CEO is not an engineer. He inherited the company.

Advice to Management

Work twice as hard to create a pleasent work place. Hire a VP responsible for morale and work-life experience.

A very cheap employer

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time

Pros

Company truck to take home, very little office work if you like that

Cons

Upper management has no clue how to run the business. It is an extremely old business and very small to have been in the industry for so long. Upper management is extremely cheap with regards to tools, equipment, and supplies. No bonuses or raises, and pay can be low at times if work is not there. Not guaranteed a paycheck,

Worst job ever

Former Employee - Environmental Program Manager in Chesapeake, VA

I worked at Froehling & Robertson (More than 5 years)

Pros

The comraderie will the field staff

Cons

Management out of touch, very opportunistic at expense of staff, business acumen v lacking, no healthy or encouraging oversight (always belittling), the worst benefits (401K was a joke to invest in)

Advice to Management

Retire or bring in fresh minds

Poor management

Former Employee - Environmental Program Manager in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Long standing company with good reputation

Cons

Very poor benefits, poor mentorship, non existent team work environment. Not an ideal work environment at any point in ones career

Will do anything at corporate, at employee's detriment

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are no pros to this company. Plain and simple. None. Stay away and above all else, learn to watch your own back!

Cons

Let me give one example that best exemplifies the way this company operates. My superiors in the Charlotte branch, and the VP's from Roanoke, per advisement of corporate in Richmond, cut bargains with competitors to NOT compete with them within certain regions of my sales territory, while I was totally unaware that my efforts to win work would have just been handed over, unbeknownst to me, to my competitors, in a "gentleman's agreement" that if F&R would stay out of the competitors back yard (Hickory), so the competitors would not venture into areas in which would have put F&R branches in jeopardy (Asheville). Imagine working for a company where you are putting your best effort into selling in your entire territory, and your own company is cutting bargains with your competitors behind your back! Truly a weakly led company!

Advice to Management

Go make a fool of someone else with your behind the employee's back shenanigans!

Conniving Liars

Current Employee - Project Manager/Geotechnical Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Geotechnical Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place is great if you need to learn how to tolerate lairs and cheats. They use people and are constantly re-shuffling staff to maintain family gleaned profits.

Cons

The office culture is one that oversteps reason as result of emotional decisions in a witch hunt, shark tank like environment.

Advice to Management

The family that runs the company should find jobs where they tolerate others like themselves, so they get a full dose of experience of what it's like.

Good people, bad practices.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

People are great! All nice and friendly and very helpful! Everyone is very willing to help out a new person. They do great quality work as well.

Cons

If you have any issues in your personal life that require you to take a day off, it will be held against you. When they overextended their finances, they will fire you for being new. No severance, not a single penny. You will get a sorry and good luck and a so ft kick in the butt on your way out.

Advice to Management

Put people first, don't take contracts that you aren't currently equipped to handle. Don't punish people for your mistakes and greed.

Enjoyed working here while there were projects available

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High potential for growth and movement in the company. I was given the opportunity to manage several projects after my initial employment period. Great work experience and opportunities.

Cons

Lack of supervisory and upper management support. It was very difficult to find someone who was available to give second opinions on matters that required engineering judgement.

11. Excellent company with deep roots in their market

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Richmond, VA

I worked at Froehling & Robertson (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, very approachable ... they have been around FOREVER

Cons

Salaries not as competitive as other firms

RSS Feed </> Embed