Froehling & Robertson Reviews

Sam Proctor

1. Flexible company that wants the best for it's employee's

Current Employee - Construction Materials Technician
    Current Employee - Construction Materials Technician

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very flexible. I am a student and from day one I was told that I could come and go as necessary to attend classes and study for tests as long as I get my daily work done. The branch manager and the senior technician actively encourage my schooling stating that it will help, not only my career, but F & R as a whole. They were also quick to give me a shot even though I had little experience and are actively trying to get me certifications which will help my career immensely in the future. Also, they provide a company phone, company trucks (for work purposes) and will help you buy the necessary footwear (expensive steel-toed boots) by providing 200 dollars that you don't have to pay back if you work there long enough. I am very pleased with the overall atmosphere of helping employees to succeed and the trust and autonomy granted by the management.

Cons

Rate of pay much lower than the competition for the same job, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The 401K matching isn't all that great (6%). All of the trucks are older and have a lot of mileage. Upper management is a bit out of touch with what is done by the techs on a day to day basis.

Advice to Management

It is important, even for higher up personnel, to know how to do what the guys on the lowest levels do so you can more effectively and efficiently manage human resources.

Company rumored to be for sale.

Current Employee - Environmental Geologist
    Current Employee - Environmental Geologist

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company if you are working in a branch that is winning cocktail conversation level projects.

Cons

Poor management. Lack of concern over employees. Anything you read stating different is probably written by management. Out of touch. Upper management is only concerned over making scapegoats of others, when the profits are marginal.

Advice to Management

Go ahead and sell the company. Quit extending the misery, and the paranoia.

Closely Held, Family Owned Firm

Current Employee - Leadership in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Leadership in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

To a certain degree there is some loyalty, unless you are a high paid employee. Their projects are very good quality, and their reputation for quality work is second to none. In the past they have developed an amazing resume of very high profile projects.

Cons

Higher paid employees are on thin ice. Since the family owns all the stock, every dollar in salary comes out of their pockets and they watch that like a hawk. The firm was established over 120 years ago so their is a long history that the firm reveres, almost like a cult. Politically they are VERY VERY VERY conservative. If you have any left leanings you will be in the minority.

Advice to Management

Time to look at your culture. The staffing opportunities are getting younger and younger and will require a more flexible open environment. While the history is nice it tends to create a "closed" clubish feel that is not particularly welcoming to new comers. Finally, you are going to have to shed the political agenda of your leadership. They just have to keep it to themselves.

Conniving Liars

Current Employee - Project Manager/Geotechnical Engineer in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager/Geotechnical Engineer in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This place is great if you need to learn how to tolerate lairs and cheats. They use people and are constantly re-shuffling staff to maintain family gleaned profits.

Cons

The office culture is one that oversteps reason as result of emotional decisions in a witch hunt, shark tank like environment.

Advice to Management

The family that runs the company should find jobs where they tolerate others like themselves, so they get a full dose of experience of what it's like.

Good people, bad practices.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson

Pros

People are great! All nice and friendly and very helpful! Everyone is very willing to help out a new person. They do great quality work as well.

Cons

If you have any issues in your personal life that require you to take a day off, it will be held against you. When they overextended their finances, they will fire you for being new. No severance, not a single penny. You will get a sorry and good luck and a so ft kick in the butt on your way out.

Advice to Management

Put people first, don't take contracts that you aren't currently equipped to handle. Don't punish people for your mistakes and greed.

7. Enjoyed working here while there were projects available

I worked at Froehling & Robertson full-time (less than a year)

Pros

High potential for growth and movement in the company. I was given the opportunity to manage several projects after my initial employment period. Great work experience and opportunities.

Cons

Lack of supervisory and upper management support. It was very difficult to find someone who was available to give second opinions on matters that required engineering judgement.

8. Excellent company with deep roots in their market

Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Environmental Scientist in Richmond, VA

I worked at Froehling & Robertson (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, very approachable ... they have been around FOREVER

Cons

Salaries not as competitive as other firms

They'll use you until you're burned out.

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson full-time

Pros

Typically, there are hours available. They will get you certified. Most of the people are quite nice and allow you to build friendships. If you can get yourself a senior title, you're set.

Cons

They'll promise you promotion opportunities, but it will always "not be a good time". Raises are non-existent unless you're a higher up. As long as you're billable they're happy.

Advice to Management

Take a long hard look at your staff and get rid of the dead weight at the top.

Environmental

I have been working at Froehling & Robertson

Pros

None, other than the fact that all the tech level personnel (goe, env) are united in friendship through common distrust of corp , and branch lvl mgmt.

Cons

Poor benefits, health insurance changed ea year, retirement very poor for company of this size (300-400). Talk of team work but actions are quite the contrary, Env. PMs are alone in their jobs - no real support, its a thankless position, except thsoe in corp HQ of course, refer to previous comment - only good for "yes men" esp those how hale from Clarksburg Univ. - what a joke. Management full of opportunist, period. Br Mgr in VB took credit for others successes and never took personal responsibility - how he attained this position, no one knows. Worst boss by far (coincidentally second time for me). No mentorship at all. Of 20+ years in consulting, worse experience I ever had and forced me to start my own biz w no prospects.

Advice to Management

Advice? overhaul from the top, nuf said. A sign as to how bad this long standing company is, the competition is 3x as large.

11. Great Company To Work For

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Froehling & Robertson

Pros

Great people, reasonable hours, friendly work environment, ability to work on many different types of projects. Also given responsibility early and often. Proud to have worked there.

Cons

The hardest thing about working there was for advancement. Economy was tough and hard to move up/in without having known someone.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing. I still remember when senior leadership came down and talked with me. Knew my name even though I was a low level employee. Makes you feel like you are just as important, great experience with this company.