Front Range Community College

Updated November 13, 2014
2.9

Michael Kupcho

Stagnant and Stultifying

I have been working at Front Range Community College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relaxed Culture. People are generally pleasant, if incompetent

Cons

Relaxed Culture. Very bureaucratic and stale

Get with the 21st Century. As an educational institution, one would think that Front Range would require and support a higher level of business and professional acumen

Education with purpose

I worked at Front Range Community College

Pros

small cozy academically forward, technologically strong, mixed ages, and a working photographic darkroom!

Cons

light on the degrees/certificates offered, art labs understaffed and inappropriately managed,

Play the favorites game

I worked at Front Range Community College

Pros

Dedicated staff, committed to student success, collaborative departments coming together to boost each other up, in the trenches together

Cons

Advancement is limited and intelligence and independent thought is seen as a threat rather than an asset

Listen to the people on the ground, things you may be missing and are driving hard-working folks out

This was a wonderful place to work, lots of students wanting real information, good support staff.

Former Employee - Part Time Adjunct Instructor in Loveland, CO
    Former Employee - Part Time Adjunct Instructor in Loveland, CO

I worked at Front Range Community College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You get to teach people who are really interested in learning

Cons

Finding full time employment and staff that tell you how you can improve your skills at teaching.

Help those who really like and want to teach to be great at what they do.

It has potential...but...

I worked at Front Range Community College

Pros

There are some really great people who genuinely love their job. They do care about the students. The new VP of Finance is impressive. Doing a lot to improve the campus. Pay is decent.

Cons

A lot of transition taking place and a sense of no real leadership. While they do care about the students, I don't believe staff or faculty are happy long term. Be prepared to scratch and fight through red tape for EVERYTHING.

Insist on proper training and support a program to develop such.

Good school, rough times

I have been working at Front Range Community College full-time

Pros

The work culture here at the library is excellent, lots of decision-making authority on the lowest levels.

Cons

Limited advancement, little opportunity for training.

Don't get trapped in the Adjunct Hell!

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Front Range Community College part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Better than not working.
    Adds experience to your resume.
    If you're a teacher in between jobs, it counts towards your retirement.
    New students each semester makes the class constantly new. They're the only good thing about the place.
    Dept chair mostly stays out of my way--not that I need supervision, just nice not to be hovered about.
    Once you've developed your course, you're good to just to do little updates for each semester.

Cons

Talk about second-class citizens! Adjunct are treated much worse than students--who are the paying customers.
    You get a class, Yay!, but then you're stuck with it. It's hard to switch, other teachers think you're mooching on their classes.
    Loss of benefits. We used to get so much more. Now, I'm only there, because they haven't decided I'm all used up yet.
    Full-time faculty treat you like you're a transient, even if you have your 10-year service award.
    Keep cutting pay. Cuts, cuts, cuts! There's nothing left to cut.

You say you like to promote from within, but really the dept chairs only promote those they like. It has nothing to do with who is the better person for the job, the chair picks their fave then "tailors" the job description to fit ONLY that one particular person. Check out some of the weirdly worded job descriptions for something that SHOULD be universal. Make universal job descriptions--take that "subjectivity" away from the chairs.

Adjunct Instructors are second or third class citizens

Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Front Range Community College part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The students work hard. The instructors really care about teaching.

Cons

Being a contingent worker with no say and low pay is exhausting. It's especially demeaning to have to prepare lessons AND pay for ones own substitute if Ill. The severe limit on number of courses assigned to avoid paying benefits is past humiliating.

Think about how demeaning your policies are.

In desperate need of leadership

I worked at Front Range Community College full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For the most part, the staff are great. The students are fun and challenging to work with.

Cons

The President's leadership is weak, which has enabled many nasty personality types to take over and cause harm to subordinates. HR is not helpful, and often harmful to employees. The effective faculty have, in large part, left the college. Bringing new ideas to the table (by staff) is, at best, not encouraged, and other times completely ignored. Loyalty is demanded, but not returned nor rewarded. Solid contributions and accomplishments unrecognized by leadership. There are still a few departments within FRCC that are great to work for (only two come to mind), with very supportive supervisors, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Those departments I would recommend to a friend.

To the President - many people went to bat for you, including me, when you decided to go for the leadership role. We all had faith in your leadership potential, but you let us down. Many have suffered because of it.

I have worked with them for six years and as salary for state is frozen, haven"t had a raise

Current Employee - Adm Assist in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Adm Assist in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at Front Range Community College full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with students trying to improve their level in life

Cons

Very structured community college atmosphere with little attention to needs of students and more to keeping job security and levels of control

Spend more time with the upfront employees in learning staff needs and student needs