Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

CEO

Current employee - range staff

Current Employee - Hand Gun Instructor in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Hand Gun Instructor in Pahrump, NV

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very rewarding to teach people how to properly and safely handle a handgun. Every class, we have students thank us for an experience beyond what they expected. We personally get better since we live the life. Great job if you have down time from your "every day" career.

Cons

Pay is the first down side. Above, msomeone said the "sell" a 50k salary. Not true. They clearly state a full time range master makes "up to" 50k / year. Those that can afford to work here as a full time job, such as retirees that have a pension, and this is additional income, work out very well here. Work here or stand at the front door of a retail store....I'd pick here for sure. That brings us to the egos here. You'd better be prepared to put up with those better than you that think they're G*d! Management is great if you're in the "click". If not, look out. They threaten your job (as if they're paying me 100k / yr). I comr here to teach, help people, and learn even more, yet they believe they can treat you likeyou're nothing. Then wonder why you get an attitude. You can promote at your own pace, however, if you don't domit at a pace they consider normal, they wonder what is wrong with you and you get even less respect. Promotions work on how many lectures you learn. They fail to realize that most of us work part time and we continue doing this because we love it...not because of the salary or benefits (there are none and we work at our own risk) they give us. Taking time to learn more is on a back burner (for me anyway). If you're someone looking for a career move, this is not the place. There are very few openings at the top and those few who hold those positions are not going anywhere soon.

First, I think this area is pointless. This organization has run well for years the way it is...why should they change it. Hey, if I could pay my employees next to nothing, not pay for benefits, talk crap to them on a daily basis, and have them keep coming back......you get the idea. Last year, promotional raises were made harder to get...AND those that HAD made thepay raise by the old standard, had money taken away to match the new criteria. That's BS right there.
    Every employer wishes they had employees that really loved their job. You have that and you don't appreciate it. I guarantee that if the management in Pahrump in fact read this, they're laughing at the complaints and at the same time mad as hell at them......how DARE I say such things!!!

Good work. wont get rich

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute

Pros

It is rewarding to help people learn how to defend themselves
    I enjoy working outdoors
    you are being paid to carry a gun

Cons

low pay
    work rain or shine
    uncaring company
    uncaring management
    can be difficult to get scheduled during slow months
    no work during summer

A very gratifying job.

Current Employee - Handgun Instructor in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Handgun Instructor in Pahrump, NV

I have been working at Front Sight Firearms Training Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You choose which classes you want to teach. You advance as quickly as you want to. Great people to work with and for.

Cons

You are outside in every kind of weather. It can get very hot in May-June, and September.

Instructor

Current Employee - Instructor in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Instructor in Pahrump, NV

Pros

It is fun and rewarding to teach firearms skills to students. Many of the other staff members are good people. They hire every month as the turn over is really high, so it is easy to get hired.

Cons

They sell the position as a $50,000 per year job. Starting pay is only $10.00 per hour. You may not get full time hours, and they are closed over the summer, and over Christmas. As the student numbers go down, so does the work hours. The turn over is really high, with people taking the job there thinking it is a career move, to understand the mistake in about two weeks. They do not have full time employment for range staff, and although they say you can work as much as you want, you have to wait until the last minute to see if you are getting hours for the next week.