FrontPoint Security

FrontPoint Security Reviews

Updated Jul 13, 2014

FrontPoint Security Co-Founder & CEO Chris Villar

Chris Villar

Pros
  • The work environment is really great(in 7 reviews)

• Monthly company events are a great way to meet new people in a growing organization(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Members of my training class were written up for their sales performance while in training(in 5 reviews)

• Now about the "churn and burn" issue(in 3 reviews)

For the first time I have a job I don't dread every morning.

Something In Customer Support (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsI have work on the customer support side for ever a year and I absolutely love coming to work every day...even on my worst day it has been better than my best day at other jobs.

FrontPoint stood out from day 1. The training was amazing, we even had one of the founders show up and visit during our training orientation. Training consists of 5 weeks of in depth training, after that you get 4 weeks of help 1 on 1 with a mentor.

I am 100% treated with respect by management. I feel like the senior leadership and management team in customer support work hard to cultivate talent. I was promoted after approximately 6 months. For once hard work will get you somewhere. There is a lot of room for growth in various aspects of the support department.

FrontPoint works hard to make sure it's employees feel valued.

ConsThere could be more transparency between departments but I have seen improvements in that aspect over the last 2 - 3 months. It is a bit of a boys club in our department, not just in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Also to add on the many of the other posts, we could use some better vending machines.

FrontPoint Security FrontPoint Leadership responded to this review

Jun 9, 2014

Thank you so much for this great review. Your comments really hit home with some of our top-priority goals here at FrontPoint, especially treating employees with respect and making them feel valued ... More

Things Have Changed

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsCool employees including most of the mid level managers. Somewhat fun company events and contests; decent compensation. Come here only if you want something short term to make some money quickly. The attendance policy could use a few tweaks, but it's okay.

ConsToo many to name, but very little trust of upper management is high on the list. Very little growth opportunities and promotions are not based on tenure and consistency but more so who they like. Most of the things you read in these responses and on the homepage are BS. We used to feel valued, but that has changed. There are very few tenured sales consultants left, and that't not on accident, it's out with the old and in with the new. Lately there is tons of micromanagement, no job security and very little transparency. You say you provide a work/life balance and care about your employees but that isn't evident in the robotic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind people for upper management who are in line with the culture of valuing employees and also makes sales improvements. There were changes to management around September of last year and since then the culture has changed drastically. How can upper management say they want to hear people's feedback and opinions, when they don't even speak to employees when face to face with them around the building. Every month management seems to focus who can be fired and then starts scheduling the endless training classes to bring in new reps.

Good products, management you can't trust

CSS (Former Employee)

ProsVery good home security software and good customer service function and training. My teammates were great to work with as well.

ConsThe company is run by very smart but inexperienced executives who run the company with no transparency and with a very tight wallet. Salaries are low with a few exceptions. The benefits are extremely lacking: no 401K, no flex spending accounts, no life insurance (which is very cheap for a company to add) and medical insurance is VERY expensive unless you are only covering yourself. Also, when you quit they don't pay out any vacation you haven't used (I have never seen that before at any company which I worked for), so my advice for anyone who works there who wants to leave: use all your vacation before you put in your notice.

Also, the company is very paranoid about any negative (real or imagined) PR that the company might receive. Mid level management is also big on not delivering what they promise. Very sneaky executives and quite a few "yes men" at the management level.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating nickels like manhole covers

Jul 8, 2014

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. In fact, we’re growing stronger and smarter all the time, based specifically on employee feedback and suggestions. Our new 401(k ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work for the right temperment

Security Consultant (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsVery lucrative job that offers tons of additional benefits as far as sales contest, company events. You will meet great people that you will be able to foster friendships with. Can be very relaxed at times

ConsWork life balance is not what they make it seem. You will have to make up days you take off in order to reach sales goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more up front when people interview. Gain more diversity in senior management. Be more open to a persons past experiences you cant claim to be a company that is forward thinking if you feel your way is the best way.

Jul 14, 2014

Thank you for this very upfront and insightful review. We’re thrilled to have people like you on our Sales team – taking advantage of the financial opportunity, as well as the friendly, energetic ... More

OK

Anonymous (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsAmazing Environment and Great People

ConsNone to be had so far

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing

Jun 26, 2014

Awesome feedback – thank you for sharing your thoughts. We’re really proud of the people that make this company amazing, and you're now one of them! We're very glad you're happy within the ... More

Not all it's cracked up to be.

Security Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA

ProsLaid back environment. Good salary.

ConsThe recruiter will sell you on the idea that this is a "development" environment when it's really a typical, cutthroat sales environment. Members of my training class were written up for their sales performance while in training. What your manager won't tell you is that your job is in serious jeopardy. Several employees were fired during my short tenure.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe upfront with your employees. It's only respectful.

Jun 26, 2014

Thank you for your positive comments about the compensation and working environment at FrontPoint. We pride ourselves on offering great opportunity within an upbeat and unique employee culture.

We
    ... More

Great Place to Work!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tysons Corner, VA

Pros-Great environment
    -Growth potential
    -Amazing coworkers
    -Training

It is great being excited coming to work everyday! Management really cares about all employees and work hard to keep the culture going in the right direction. Monthly company events are a great way to meet new people in a growing organization.

ConsNone that I can think of. People mention the high turnover rate of the training classes but in all honesty it it much different. The training program at FrontPoint gives all new employees every chance to be a leader on the sales floor!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Frontpoint Security: A bad place to work

CSS (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsLaid back environment, pretty easy going managers and supervisors.

ConsYou have no chance to move up in the company. Ridiculous reasons why you are not promoted. When they ask you to do something for them, they make it as difficult as possible to get those tasks completed.

I was told 5 things so far that have been a lie in a year (A way to customize your schedule, days off, chances for promotion, great senior benefits and a best place to work in VA... in 2012).

Senior management has no idea how to run a company. Whenever a "new" project gets rolled out it makes life as difficult as possible for us; we had a new class come into customer support when the mornings were slammed and now that they're out of their "Nesting" period, we're slammed again with no outlook to make things easier.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet people in here that know how to run a company. It's great to have a chance for younger people to move up but so far the people in charge have no idea what they're doing.

When giving out tasks, stop hounding people when it's "Get this done ASAP" and we have 15 calls waiting. it's not possible. Get it through your head or do it yourself.

Just a bad company to work for overall; easy work but just not worth the stress.

Jun 13, 2014

Thank you for voicing your thoughts. We’d like to work with you to find a path toward a higher level of satisfaction in your work. We value you and all our employees a great deal, and your happiness ... More

Fun job but not a long term career.

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsFun, casual laid back, happy hours, cool people

ConsNo future, no 401 k. Hours are lousey

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more organized.

May 28, 2014

Thanks for bringing up one of our favorite topics: our people. We consider ourselves lucky to be surrounded by such cool people.

We take all employee feedback to heart and use it to continually
    ... More

Caveat Emptor

Corporate (Former Employee)

ProsFrontPoint can be fun because they promote a culture of spending time on fun events: bowling, parties, happy hours and so on. The salary for some departments can be pretty good and the company can be a stepping stone for people interested in getting some experience and moving on.

ConsI worked in a corporate function that regularly worked with all the departments. The claim that the "sales compensation plan was not changed to limit the potential earnings for sales people" is absolutely untrue. The compensation plan was changed many times since 2013 to drive down the cost of acquiring customers and to cap sales agents who were earning too much - this was widely discussed and known in the corporate departments. The claim that "we do not track how often you go to the bathroom" is also untrue because every minute of a sales agents time is tracked all the way to the very top: the CEO and the CFO demanded increasingly more and more tracking of how the sales agents spend their time... down to the point of tracking every minute spent on breaks. Entire corporate dashboards were built to sum up the amount of time spent on breaks that included the ability to look at individual sales agents and know exactly how much time was spent on what hour by hour of the day.

The claim that "the culture is changing because of growth" is nonsense to anyone who has more than a few years of experience. FrontPoint is a tiny company of 300 people with the problems of a much larger company: extreme politics, micro-management, incompetent senior leadership (the middle level managers and directors are significantly more capable and knowledgeable than the people above them - even interviewees who refused job offers noticed this), and amusingly mis-placed priorities. The CEO/CFO founders EACH pull over half a million dollars a year in salary but they've not found enough time to create a 401K plan for the employees.... something that even start-ups with 5 people have. This was a source of water cooler discussion by the rank and file serfs. The company was founded by Wall Streeters who seemingly can think of only a single solution to every problem: throw more money at it and try to buy happiness.

Now about the "churn and burn" issue. The simple facts are that your chances of passing the inside sales training "test" has more to do with whether or not the phones are ringing than whether or not you are a great sales person. This isn't something that's told to you when you sign up.... and might be ethically questionable in situations when someone has quit a previous job with the expectation of joining FrontPoint. Yes, we are all "at-will" employees but do you think the senior executives would have quit their prior high-paying jobs if they thought their job offer at FrontPoint depended on whether or not sales happened to look good 2-3 weeks after they accepted the job offer? Not likely. But the same rules do not apply further down the ladder - especially considering many of the senior leaders would very probably fail a competency test within their own business functions. So when sales are looking good... magically the majority of the class will pass training because bodies are needed to answer the phones. If the phones are not ringing, then you could be the best salesperson since P. T. Barnum but it will not matter because you won't pass the training. Basically the training classes are used as a cattle truck of humans stockpiled to try to match salespersons to phone calls. None of this exactly "builds trust", which is one of claimed core values. However, keep in mind one particularly witty employee once said what they really mean is "build trust... outside... no one said anything about trust inside."

None of this is a secret... just read the reviews posted recently about the "churn and burn" issue. But now at least its better understood. So if you are applying for an insides sales jobs the best thing you can do is find out how sales are doing... if they are great than you probably will be able to hit the floor. If they are not, then godspeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople continue to leave... especially from corporate functions like IT, software development, marketing and so on. Based on the "Stepford Wives" like official responses from FrontPoint, you can expect the bleeding of talent to continue until you look in the mirror and reassess some basic things about running a business.

Worked for FrontPoint Security? Contribute to the Community!