Frontier Communications

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015

Frontier Communications Chairman & CEO Maggie Wilderotter
Maggie Wilderotter

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are probably the best thing and the only "pros" to consider (in 30 reviews)

• The pay is very good, the schedule is extremely flexible and we have good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management, considers Technicians with high Call Handling Time as inept (in 39 reviews)

• Finding a work-life balance can be tough but can be done (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Everyone was very pleasant to work with.

Former Employee - Data Communications Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Data Communications Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Frontier Communications part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, excellent supervisors, interesting work, good pay. Worked independently without someone always looking over your shoulders. Supervisors believed in my abilities and trusted that I could get the job done.

Cons

Sometimes, there wasn't enough communication between co-workers so it could become a little disorganized as far as collaborating on jobs that needed you to work as a team. It was really hard to get hired on as a regular full-time worker.

was ok

Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications

Pros

good place to work stable i guess

Cons

typical call center stuff you knw

get it together

Local is good; Corporate is bad.

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at Frontier Communications

Pros

Somewhat flexible work schedule; decent benefits; great coworkers.

Cons

It's very evident that corporate Frontier Communications doesn't care about their employees whatsoever. I always felt like the ax was about the drop; not because of performance, but just because there was always financial uncertainty on the table. Additionally, most managers had the type of mentality that your number one job is to make them happy, regardless of whether or not it had any benefit to the company or your team.

Let your employees make more individual decisions. Step back and realize that the everyday worker at Frontier is what truly makes the company function.

Tier 1 Noc Perspective

I have been working at Frontier Communications

Pros

Management is helpful, and from a tier 1 perspective, there is not much expected from you.

Cons

I came into the company as a contractor through Insight Global and received a $10 pay cut after getting hired. While this isn't Frontiers fault, they should advise you of what the salary range should be at the interview process. There is also little motivation to move up within the company since the Tier 2 and Tier 3 roles are salaried and those guys are always being called on after 40 hours of work

Motivate your employees to work for this company. There are no incentives to move up, and I feel that there not a great concern for employees or contractors.

Decent company to work for

I worked at Frontier Communications

Pros

The pay and incentives were better than most places I look at

Cons

Could have done better with training

Fairly good Company to work for. I have worked for far worse Companies.

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good right now but that has a lot to do with a Union collective bargaining agreement.

Cons

There is not enough technicians available on a daily basis to get the daily work done. Expected to work overtime a lot of the time including days off instead of hiring more contractors or more part-time or full-time employees.

Don't make appointments to install or repair services for customers when you know you don't have enough technicians to do the daily work. Re-open a local store where customers can order or cancel service or return or pick up equipment. Don't stress out workers by demanding overtime all the time. Hire More trained people to get the daily work done. Update and streamline your existing systems. Better training for new employees and contractors. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Satified

Current Employee - Director in Marion, OH
    Current Employee - Director in Marion, OH

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, People are great

Cons

Pace is a little slow, This is not an aggressive company

Stronger pay compared to market would be good.

Internship

I have been working at Frontier Communications as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Growing company, American workforce.
    Many opportunities once you are actually hired on.
    As an intern I was able to work on a variety of projects, and given opportunity to be involved. Able to get experience using a variety of computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite, M6, DPI and Viyranet and more. In my personal experience I was able to witness many facets of the business, and was able to listen in on leadership meetings and learn more about the business as a whole.
    Management was very flexible with work life school balance!

Cons

As an intern you will only be paid $11/hr, no benefits, no paid time off (sounds funny, but when you have been an intern for as long as I have you would think that they would at least pay you for holidays), management is more concerned with their own business than training interns.
    Was told to stay home during Christmas week, without pay, because there wasn't much to do, however was told they still want me to work for them.
    Hard to get in full-time, and I have been told by others that management does not typically hire interns, just uses them and lets them go. Majority of employees are union, which makes it exceptionally hard to get hired on, due to CBAs. I have seen my fair share of interns come and go.I can attest that I have been told I am doing an extraordinary job in my current role, and feel that management does not want to loose their hardworking cheap labor.
    Sometimes there was too much responsibility placed on me, with no guidance, and management did not take into account that I was an intern trying to learn. Additionally, I wanted to get some extra training (classes, webinars, ...) during slow times to make myself more valuable to the company, however management did not see a point in this and rather had me sitting around doing nothing during these slow times (told to look busy, scan the internet, or just get lost for a while).
    One of the worst things is the negativity that is in the air (obviously, by reading the above, I have caught the bug a little myself). With all of Frontiers recent acquisitions and conversions, these consumed employees seem to complain about how Frontier does things versus how their old company did. They also LOVE to complain about management!
    Witnessed lots of waste/ shrinkage and misplacement of crucial equipment. Many projects seemed to be put together haphazardly, leaving teams to fly by the seat of their pants. Management may need to return to school and relearn leading teams, and ensure proper resources are available to ensure success.

Work more with interns and allow them to be more involved. Simple things such as letting interns listen in on "bridge calls" allows for interns to understand the telecom environment while developing questions. Also, management should do more one on ones with interns to discuss the business and teach them from experience. Management should be more of a mentor, working to shape future leaders. And finally, take workers personal situations into consideration. Who lays off someone during Christmas to save $11/hr?

Cable Sales Representative -South Norwalk,CT

Current Employee - Cable Sales Representative in South Norwalk, CT
    Current Employee - Cable Sales Representative in South Norwalk, CT

I have been working at Frontier Communications

Pros

Drew who interviewed seemed like a great boss to work for.

Cons

None at all that I can see so far

Excellent career choice

Current Employee - Manager in Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Manager in Deland, FL

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture, People, Work/Life balance, Benefits/Compensation are just some of the pros of working here.

Cons

It would be beneficial to have a more consice on-boarding process.

Offer more feedback to employees.

Frontier Communications Photos