Frontier Communications

Updated September 29, 2014
2.8

Frontier Communications Chairman & CEO Maggie Wilderotter
Maggie Wilderotter

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are probably the best thing and the only "pros" to consider (in 27 reviews)

• The pay is very good, the schedule is extremely flexible and we have good benefits (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Finding a work-life balance can be tough but can be done (in 18 reviews)

• Poor upper management, poor customer service, poor excuse for a fortune 500 company (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

How to do everything wrong the first time

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pros: Reasonable pay, commissions, incentives, and vacations.

Cons

This is a phone company. After implementing the new Ayaya VOIP system 2 years ago, call quality when down the tubes. When a call is transferred to you, the customer can't understand you or you them. Calls are muffled like talking through a pillow, watery, and choppy cutting in and out. Hold music sounds like it is underwater. Both sides have to repeat themselves just to finally get a call back number from the customer. If you are successful and get the number right, the return call is fine.

Try planning and following ideas through to their farthest conclusion instead of being caught unprepared when the plan runs out and you have to start imposing kluges and workarounds for long periods to get a somewhat workable system several years later. Before marketing a new product, find out if it is actually compatible with the other parts of the system. Most of the problems needing to be solved are the ones that the company creates for itself, not normal and expected maintenance. The waste of productivity is astounding, not due to the workers, but poor strategies.

Good Company!

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is opportunities to grow with the company. it is expanding in many different directions.

Cons

Investment in new technology is lacking. Frontier is focused in rural and small communities. While there is a market in small communities the margins are small thus leaving little for innovation.

Tap ALL the talent within the pool of employees. Allow people with different ways of approaching situations to have a chance to lead and manage.

Great pay and benefits! The actual job left much to be desired.

Former Employee - Dispatcher
    Former Employee - Dispatcher

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

High salary and good benefits. Tuition reimbursement is comparable now to other companies while just a few months ago, it was all prepaid and no need to repay if you left the company.

Cons

Managers expect their employees to manage the work flow as opposed to doing it themselves. Employees should be responsible for doing the work while the manager decides who actually does the work. Unfortunately, the managers seem to think their only responsibility is taking escalated phone calls and doing projects for upper management. Oh, and good luck with career pathing. It is non-existent.

Have your managers go through some intense training on how to manage people and how to make decisions without using emotion. Recent changes to the schedule have caused an increase in the number of missed appointments because technicians were removed from Monday schedules to the Weekend Schedules. This decision to exclude more techs from Mondays needs to be reversed. Also, everyone who can do a job from home, should have the opportunity to do just that. Work from home. Most jobs can be performed from home, provided they have VPN Access.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intuit Enterprise Support

Current Employee - Intuit Enterprise Support  in  Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Intuit Enterprise Support in Deland, FL

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Monday thru Friday shift is nice, your seniority gets better fast due to the company growing. Even though it's growing doesn't mean it's a great place to work.

Cons

Saying there's opportunity for growth is a joke, at least at the Deland call center, their are people who have help train others to see them get better opportunities to advance and get off the phones.

Please reward the people who are trying to advance even if they are not related to someone in the company, or best friends with other supervisors.

Unhappy Employment

Current Employee - IHD  in  Allen, TX
    Current Employee - IHD in Allen, TX

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are ok. When you are popular with the management you can sometimes advance. Some of the Supervisors care for the employees quite a bit.

Cons

Management changes stats regularly in the middle of quarters and this affects your pay substantially if the changes are unfair they will tell you that the changes need to stay in place until the end of the quarter and usually do not change. They promise big changes and advancement to keep employees but they do not follow through. They make their employees feel like they are low priority. Their pay is substantially lower than other competing companies.

Follow through with their promises and care more about their parents.

Ok for a job but not a career

Current Employee - Work At Home Offline Consultant  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Work At Home Offline Consultant in Durham, NC

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Only pro is benefits and compensation for me. This will vary depending upon Union contract or location in which you work.

Cons

Company very disorganized. Lack of growth. Driven by short-term financial results. Expect the reps to do every job within the company, instead of having specialized depts.

Invest in your people. Listen to the workers on the frontline by having focus groups. Don't use data only to make business decisions.

Company is average in most ways, a little backward in its approach to technology and marketing.

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time

Pros

Company offers excellent benefits. Leadership is out of touch, 10 years behind in business practices. Work life balance is challenging for sales reps and IHD workers.

Cons

Promotions are difficult in legacy company, growth is slow, relying on purchase of other properties to grow and gov. funding of outlying areas to develop broadband. Compensation is lower than other tech and telecom companies. Training dept relies on street smart trainers and barely-there curriculum.

Improve existing infrastructure instead of buying cast-offs. Stop the hemorrhaging loss of disconnected services. Improve execution of wireless offer. Promote effectively smart phones for home use to deter losses of residential lines. Develop and execute a voip offer.

No advancement opportunities, Favortism all around.

Current Employee - Offline Specialist  in  Deland, FL
    Current Employee - Offline Specialist in Deland, FL

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

2 Stars for Amazing Benefits and Community involvement. Benefits are affordable and very good for this area. PTO is great, you get all of 6 months accrued at the beginning of the year and the rest in July. Community involvement is wonderful and you have to do a certain amount of events as an employee it is apart of our annual reviews. Frontier is a major force in this area and we give back tremendously.

Cons

*Sigh* I could go on and on but I won't, been with Frontier for over 3 years now. Been in 3 different departments. Most employees start off in Sales, if you are hired directly into other depts then you are very fortunate and blessed! In Sales dept, Sups and Management do not acknowledge or help you if you are not a top sales person, you don't matter period. Customer Service is out the window, it's about money, you have to meet your goals or you are FIRED after 3 months. In Sales dept, You will only get promoted if you are good at sales, they don't care about qualifications ( I know a few people who have Bachelors Degrees, unfair). I was very lucky to transfer to Offline, which is no stress at all and the supervisors are more understanding. But you don't get any recognition for being a hard worker , you will not get any opportunities for advancement or special projects unless you are "friends" with someone in management, family or you are kissing major BUTT all day period ( Basically in everyone's face and not doing any kind of work all day). You never know what the company is doing, you just get random emails after it has happened. You never hear about positions internally, again you just get random emails about such and such just got promoted to Customer Operations and other leadership opportunities that others are possibly qualified for. People sleeping with managers, drugs, and all kinds of messiness. I never have a clue of what's going on, it's just a job at the end of the day and if you want to be appreciated and heard this is NOT for you. As an internal employee you are encourage to apply for advance positions but you will not get a interview unless it's another call center rep position not management or training positions which is so sketchy to me and unfair. I'm just being honest, hopefully this helps someone, we are always hiring for sales positions just beware it's not what it seems. Good luck, I'm done for now.

Communicate, if we all communicated then things would run smoothly. Customers would be happy and Employees would be too.

Flexible with hours and great company to work for if you have an experience

Current Employee - Integration  in  Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Integration in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at Frontier Communications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

good compensation, great flexibility with hours. Gives you full responsibility and ownership of work no matter how new you are in the company.

Cons

Keeps jumping technology from one to another

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with frontier for about 2 years have received two promotions and they also re located me. People are great SR management is great.

Cons

Lot of hours but they go by fast. Dress code wish we could wear jeans all week long that would be nice.

Keep up the great work!

Frontier Communications Photos

Worked for Frontier Communications? Contribute to the Community!