Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Frontier Communications Chairman & CEO Maggie Wilderotter

Maggie Wilderotter

Pros:
  • "The pay and benefits are good for union employees"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Good benefits, nice co-workers considering the stress of the working conditions"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Sometimes wonder about upper management decisions regarding process and project direction"
    in 25 reviews
  • "There is no work life balance what so ever"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

They had a great heritage, but lost it when it became all about the money

Various (Former Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsIn the early 1990's, Frontier (Rochester Tel at the time) was all about their employees. We used to have company picnics, elaborate sales kickoffs and wonderful holiday parties. And they provided great training to their new employees. But as the company grew, things changed.

ConsOnce the leadership moved out of Rochester, NY to Stamford, CT things started on a downward spiral. The focus became all about money and the bottom line, and no longer about customers and/or employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of 180 South Clinton! That building is now deteriorating, and it was once the showcase of the company. Focus more on your employees and less on bottom line. Happy employees make you money in the end.

One of the telcos in the country is finding it hard to keep up with the new players

ProsVery good engineers, very good engineering managers, minimal automation

ConsTerrible process; nobody has a clue as to how an order flows from one group to another; they have been transitioning from RT to M6 for the last year and a half and it still hasn't gone anywhere

"Great Place to Work"

Human Resources Intern (Current Employee)
    Stamford, CT

ProsThe people are wonderful to work with! Everyone is open to help foster growth within your career. My direct manager and above are always there to answer questions and help me learn. There is a strong support of hiring veterans and growing a diverse community within Frontier. Overall, being new to the corporate world, this has been a great place to learn and grow.

ConsSome of the procedures are old school.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have worked for Frontier for over 25 years and have always felt it was a great place to work!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsI like working here because the people I work with are like my family. When something goes wrong personally or professionally we are all there to help and encourage each other. Frontier employees are also very involved and care about their local communities.
    I feel the pay is fair for the work that is done and for the area we live in.
    We are treated very respectfully from upper management and they care about us.

ConsStress level can be high at times and now that we are a bigger company it takes a little longer to make changes on the IT side of the house.

Challenging yet rewarding

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFrontier is all about a core set of values that includes putting the customer first through personal accountability, working together as a team, and looking at ways to continually improve the experience.

ConsBiggest challenge is working across other departments within Frontier Communications who have a silo mentality

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote and support accountability across work groups that effect both internal and external customer satisfaction

Solid company with positive changes

Marketing Database Analyst (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsFeeling valued, heard and appreciated; Great work-life balnace; PTO; Opportunity for advancement; Phenomenal teams to work with.

ConsOutdated office decor in most buildings

Great pay IF you have union. Otherwise don't waste your time as they change all the time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll employees for the company were based in the United States. For the dept. I worked in we had casual dress, great supervisors. Our pay was great for our area (above the norm) and we were trained to think outside the box. Vacation days time off requests and medical were all great. Our dept. was comfortable with each other and knew we could get help from each other if needed. BEAR IN MIND OUR AREA WAS UNION CONTRACTED.

ConsCons would have to start with the fact that middle management would not stand up for their groups, instead they have a view of don't make waves and they won't be fired. Life balance was tough if you had used vacation and had any kind of emergency come up. Depts. were run like personal businesses so many of the benefits that one group had another group would be denied. Examples would be groups were allowed 4 -10 hr. shifts, work at home or part time, while others were told no. The company seemed to jump jobs around on where they could find the cheapest hourly or salaried wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership in a company at least in my mind means take care of the employees like promised so they may take care of the customers. Try to find encourage management to point out issues to the next level up so it is not just swept under the rug.

Challenging work, but they offer some of the best jobs in the communities they service.

ProsIn rural America a job at Frontier can be a good paying "job for life".

ConsThis is an old industry with many challenges in 2014 and beyond. Frontier was about 5,000 employees in 2010 and grew to almost 15,000 as a result of their Verizon acquisitions. The Former Verizon employees were used to higher pay, richer benefits etc. because they worked for a company that subsidized the money-losing old phone company they worked for with a hugely profitable wireless operation. When they got acquired by an old fashioned phone company, reality set in. And for them (now 2/3 of the company) reality bites! Verizon wanted no part of them and were glad to sell them off. Many took pay cuts and had to pay for their healthcare benefits (like 99% of America!). Frontier (reality) rocked their worlds. So I'm not surprised by the negative comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransitioning from a telephone company to a broadband company is challenging and you probably need something else besides broadband to make a big dent in revenue. Do your best to appreciate those employees who bust their butts every day. Worry about them as much as you worry about wall street and you will see more productivity. But at the end of the day, we are squeezing every bit of juice out of this radish, so assume the best from your employees, not the worst. Intimidation is never ok.

Challenging environment that fostered professional growth

Specialist (Current Employee)
    Rochester, NY

ProsRecognition of hard work, support and encouragement to participate in community based activities, local model engagement, accessible upper management, exposure to a variety of work

ConsNeed for more effective and relevant communication from top down, less redundant layers of management

Something is horribly wrong with the reviews of this company on this website

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee)
    Lafayette, IN

ProsPay is fair and benefits are excellent. Work at home and have great support for working in the Fraud department from all parts of the company. This is the first company I have worked for that considered it's people to be extremely important. They actually treat us like people and not numbers. Senior leadership is very accommodating and responsive.
    This is the first company that has bought properties from Verizon and did not go belly up in 2 or 3 years. Think that says a lot for our senior leadership. Excellent career opportunities and a very relaxed work environment.

ConsWorking at home does not let you see your work friends nearly as often as you would like.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Frontier Communications? Contribute to the Community!

Frontier Communications Videos

Frontier Communications – Why Work for Us?

Frontier Communications Corporation (NASDAQ:FTR) (www.frontier.com) is a publicly traded telecommunications provider and the largest rural local exchange company in the United States. Headquartered in Stamford, CT… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Frontier Communications reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Frontier Communications CEO Maggie Wilderotter. All 448 reviews posted anonymously by Frontier Communications employees.