Frontier Communications

Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Frontier Communications Chairman & CEO Maggie Wilderotter
Maggie Wilderotter

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are probably the best thing and the only "pros" to consider (in 30 reviews)

• The pay is very good, the schedule is extremely flexible and we have good benefits (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management, considers Technicians with high Call Handling Time as inept (in 39 reviews)

• Finding a work-life balance can be tough but can be done (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

It was challenging because of lack of funding to the field and support from upper management, but I enjoyed it.

Former Employee - Technical Supervisor
    Former Employee - Technical Supervisor

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I like the Frontier culture that existed with the legacy side, I just wish they would practice it more locally.

Cons

Compensation/benefits is not as good on the legacy side as it was with the acquired side. There is not much opportunity for personal growth.

Practice the "Frontier culture" more on a local level, just don't talk it. Also supply more hands-on, instructor led technical training for the field forces.

What work was like in the dark ages

Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician in Fort Dodge, IA
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician in Fort Dodge, IA

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Absolutely nothing to consider here.

Cons

IF you can imagine the worst place to work..... this would be it. Absolutely no ethics happen here. Management (if you can call it that) are held in check by the next level. They are not allowed to speak up. Don't dare question anybody above you. What a neanderthal approach to running a business. The mind of Maggie. Kinda like the wizard of Oz. Well I've had enough, I'm going back to Kansas.

Only work at the Internet Help Desk in Rochester NY, if you are a good salesperson.

Current Employee - Internet Help Desk Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Internet Help Desk Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make very good money selling Frontier Secure Products.
    Don't need technical Skills if you are a good sales person and will be well compensated for not only selling Frontier Secure Products but getting the customer off the calls in less than 15 minutes.

Cons

Not Compensated for your technical skills even though you're solving the customer's issues.
    Usually, the more difficult technical issues require more phone time with the customer, which then raises the Internet Help Desk Technician's Handling Time. Upper Management, considers Technicians with high Call Handling Time as inept.

Required Overtime on short notice with no consideration of family hardships and transportation issues. Upper management wants Internet Help Desk Technician's to show compassion toward the customers but show very little compassion towards Internet Help Desk Employees. You must work the mandatory overtime or face disciplinary action.

There needs to be more fairness in compensation for technicians with technical skills vs. technicians with selling skills.

Employees with Hardships and prior appointments shouldn't be required to work mandatory overtime on such short notice.

Peter Principle

Former Employee - Network Architect in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Network Architect in Stamford, CT

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When we got it right, we brought broadband to some pretty rural markets.

Cons

Most major initiatives seems to lose the ability to delegate resources at the middle management level.

My team was responsible for the developing the ethernet architecture strategy for the company, but I don't think our manager knew how a switch worked. The old Bell mentality needs to go.

The IT department is demoralized and stressed

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Deland, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Deland, FL

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours. Work From Home option available, upon approval.

Cons

The major motivational tool used by the first level management is fear. Office environment was very unprofessional. Dysfunctional work environment.

Provide more support and training to new hires and those who struggle.

Call Center Horror

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were great. Some of the nicest coworkers anywhere. Unbelievable benefits. I have never had of benefits like that for such a good rate. The pay structure was good also.

Cons

The position was customer service. However, the main focus is sales. Nothing wrong with sales expect when ethics are thrown out the window. Products sold improperly just to make a sale. Contracts renewed without consent.

Separate sales from customer service. No one wants a sales pitch when the product they have already purchased isn't working.

A communication company who has NO idea how to communicate

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The complete absence of quality management allows you work how you want

Cons

There is no support within the organization. It is easier for management to fire somebody than to offer guidance and development.

Sharing information among the employees of the company is difficult at best. No feedback from management. The culture of the Fort Wayne office is not supportive in the development of a career with the company.

Dedicated work force, Bully Leadership

Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Team Lead in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Frontier Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any as i didn't stick long enough

Cons

I was hired couple of weeks before Christmas just before everyone was going on the vacation & the top leadership expected me to run full force right after the day i was hired, as if i had a magic wand to fix all his / her companies problems over night. I couldn't even get hold of half the resources to gather the information i required

A companies performance is defined by the leadership, if the leader is a bully it trickles down all the way in the hierarchy. The same applies if everyone treats well. an open dialogue needs to be there among the staff & listen / apply whats practical at any level.

Good Company!

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is opportunities to grow with the company. it is expanding in many different directions.

Cons

Investment in new technology is lacking. Frontier is focused in rural and small communities. While there is a market in small communities the margins are small thus leaving little for innovation.

Tap ALL the talent within the pool of employees. Allow people with different ways of approaching situations to have a chance to lead and manage.

Great pay and benefits! The actual job left much to be desired.

Former Employee - Dispatcher
    Former Employee - Dispatcher

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High salary and good benefits. Tuition reimbursement is comparable now to other companies while just a few months ago, it was all prepaid and no need to repay if you left the company.

Cons

Managers expect their employees to manage the work flow as opposed to doing it themselves. Employees should be responsible for doing the work while the manager decides who actually does the work. Unfortunately, the managers seem to think their only responsibility is taking escalated phone calls and doing projects for upper management. Oh, and good luck with career pathing. It is non-existent.

Have your managers go through some intense training on how to manage people and how to make decisions without using emotion. Recent changes to the schedule have caused an increase in the number of missed appointments because technicians were removed from Monday schedules to the Weekend Schedules. This decision to exclude more techs from Mondays needs to be reversed. Also, everyone who can do a job from home, should have the opportunity to do just that. Work from home. Most jobs can be performed from home, provided they have VPN Access.

Frontier Communications Photos