Frontier Communications

Frontier Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Frontier Communications Chairman & CEO Maggie Wilderotter

Maggie Wilderotter

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are probably the best thing and the only "pros" to consider (in 28 reviews)

• The pay is very good, the schedule is extremely flexible and we have good benefits (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor upper management, poor customer service, poor excuse for a fortune 500 company (in 35 reviews)

• Finding a work-life balance can be tough but can be done (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for. The company is actively working to change with the times. No small task!

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsAggressive spirit that's helping to drive change

ConsTough industry to grow revenue

Fast paced, great place to work, lots of growth opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsConstantly investing in new technology platforms. Encourges local community engagement. Fosters creativity, innovation and putting the customer first. My oppinion is valued by my manager and our local market is run locally.

Consit is very fast paced, but it is a very fast paced industry. We are in a very competitive market and we have to adapt quickly to stay relevant. Our culture does encourage innovation to help move fast in a fast moving world.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep fighting the good fight. We are well positioned to gain market share and with that job security. I appreciate the focus on keeping our business 100% U.S. based and I love the fact that we do as much as we do for our Veterans and our Communities.

Current Employee

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Durham, NC

ProsGreat Pay, Growing Company, Local decision making

ConsFast Pace, Lots of work for the amount of people

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Fiber to the Prem

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current employee

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsFrontier recognizes and rewards good performing employees.

ConsProcess documentation has improved but still work in progress.

Working at Frontier

ProsFrontier employees care about the customer and do everything they can to provide the best customer service possible. Employees are empowered to make decisions that affect the customer in a positive way, to make sure they are satisfied. In a rural town, Frontier is recognized thru out the area and vacant job positions are always sure to bring several local applicants. Frontier brings technology to rural America, that you would otherwise only find in metropolitan areas. Benefits are better than most other businesses in the area.

ConsIn very rural areas, not all customers can receive HSI, but all are offered our broadband satellite service. During storm season, the hours can be long, but we have indidviduals that put customer service at the top.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior managemnent has a tough job dealing with all aspects to ensure that Frontier remains at the forefront of technology and services that we offer. The decisions they make, may not be viewed favorably, at times, but they prove to be good ones.

Frontier Promotes From Within; Career Progression is a Priority

ProsPart of Frontier's roadmap to success is promoting from within. Frontier places great value on fostering internal growth; the Company can provide informational interviews and job shadowing opportunities for our internal employee base; and you can move to the next step in your career following just 6 months of employment.

ConsIf you are looking for a fast paced ever changing environment where flexibiliy and multitasking must be staples in your toolkit, this is the company for you. The Company expects great things from their employees; we go above and beyond for our customers as the norm and we are rewarded for taking these leaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to position us strategically in our growing marketplace; our employees are ready to assist in any way possible to keep our company striving for excellence.

They had a great heritage, but lost it when it became all about the money

Various (Former Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsIn the early 1990's, Frontier (Rochester Tel at the time) was all about their employees. We used to have company picnics, elaborate sales kickoffs and wonderful holiday parties. And they provided great training to their new employees. But as the company grew, things changed.

ConsOnce the leadership moved out of Rochester, NY to Stamford, CT things started on a downward spiral. The focus became all about money and the bottom line, and no longer about customers and/or employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of 180 South Clinton! That building is now deteriorating, and it was once the showcase of the company. Focus more on your employees and less on bottom line. Happy employees make you money in the end.

Great pay IF you have union. Otherwise don't waste your time as they change all the time

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll employees for the company were based in the United States. For the dept. I worked in we had casual dress, great supervisors. Our pay was great for our area (above the norm) and we were trained to think outside the box. Vacation days time off requests and medical were all great. Our dept. was comfortable with each other and knew we could get help from each other if needed. BEAR IN MIND OUR AREA WAS UNION CONTRACTED.

ConsCons would have to start with the fact that middle management would not stand up for their groups, instead they have a view of don't make waves and they won't be fired. Life balance was tough if you had used vacation and had any kind of emergency come up. Depts. were run like personal businesses so many of the benefits that one group had another group would be denied. Examples would be groups were allowed 4 -10 hr. shifts, work at home or part time, while others were told no. The company seemed to jump jobs around on where they could find the cheapest hourly or salaried wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership in a company at least in my mind means take care of the employees like promised so they may take care of the customers. Try to find encourage management to point out issues to the next level up so it is not just swept under the rug.

Challenging environment that fostered professional growth

Specialist (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

ProsRecognition of hard work, support and encouragement to participate in community based activities, local model engagement, accessible upper management, exposure to a variety of work

ConsNeed for more effective and relevant communication from top down, less redundant layers of management

Challenging work, but they offer some of the best jobs in the communities they service.

ProsIn rural America a job at Frontier can be a good paying "job for life".

ConsThis is an old industry with many challenges in 2014 and beyond. Frontier was about 5,000 employees in 2010 and grew to almost 15,000 as a result of their Verizon acquisitions. The Former Verizon employees were used to higher pay, richer benefits etc. because they worked for a company that subsidized the money-losing old phone company they worked for with a hugely profitable wireless operation. When they got acquired by an old fashioned phone company, reality set in. And for them (now 2/3 of the company) reality bites! Verizon wanted no part of them and were glad to sell them off. Many took pay cuts and had to pay for their healthcare benefits (like 99% of America!). Frontier (reality) rocked their worlds. So I'm not surprised by the negative comments.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransitioning from a telephone company to a broadband company is challenging and you probably need something else besides broadband to make a big dent in revenue. Do your best to appreciate those employees who bust their butts every day. Worry about them as much as you worry about wall street and you will see more productivity. But at the end of the day, we are squeezing every bit of juice out of this radish, so assume the best from your employees, not the worst. Intimidation is never ok.

Worked for Frontier Communications? Contribute to the Community!