Frontier Communications Reviews

1. was ok

Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications

Pros

good place to work stable i guess

Cons

typical call center stuff you knw

get it together

Get experience and get out

Former Employee - Technical Support II in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support II in Rochester, NY

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The technical support position is a great learning experience for people looking to break into IT

Cons

Required sales
    Direct customer technical support.

Offer a better product at a lower price to obtain and keep customers.

In the past year it's gone from a high school to a zoo

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A pro is that I do have job security, with a minimally acceptable wage. They offer health benefits, but I had better from my previous employers.

Cons

In the past year I've watched 3 out of 5 of our worst employees get job promotions. In my department there is absolutely no manager presence so the managers don't really know who is tardy, who plays on their cell phones, and they don't much care. We're completely in the dark about absolutely everything that goes on. This promotes gossip because it's the only way we ever find anything out, by overhearing discussions. We've had 4 new hires the manager didn't even tell us about. We have a "big wig" coming, and they told us the day before only to tell us to keep our mouths shut about the environment we work in.

Come out of your office every now and again. We have a big conversion coming up, and while getting ready for it is important it is also useless without having a good foundation. We do not have a good foundation. We're on the drink of imploding and the managers don't know. Absolutely everyone has lost all morale over the past year, and we want it back.

5. Has potential

Current Employee - Internet Help Desk Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have a lot of employee incentives, employee stock option, 401K matching, incentives to strive for higher sales (opportunity to make an extra $2 or $3 an hour for three months)

Cons

Call center environment. Got the flu and had a doctor's note to be out of work, came back to work and got a final write up as I was absent within my 90 probationary period. Was told that we would be getting something, but they never followed through.

If a employee has a doctor's note to be excused from work, don't write them up, even if they are in their 90 probationary period. Stop telling your employees one thing, and then not follow through with it.

You can do well if you're willing to sell

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Generally friendly co-workers, good upper management, opportunities for advancement, can make a descent amount on commissions

Cons

Can be tense environment with several agents sitting within a few feet, much of call base is dealing with rural DSL customers who generally have fair to poor internet connections - you will occasionally receive an irate caller

There has been a departure from the family feeling of the company to a more corporate feel which does not encourage a good impression of the company by the employees

1 year and out

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well paid, flexible schedule, lots to learn

Cons

No clear work objectives
    Lack of leadership
    People around me were able to do absolutely nothing and get away with it

Provide a clear direction, keep an eye on what people are doing, not what they say they are doing, get more involved.

8. Only work at the Internet Help Desk in Rochester NY, if you are a good salesperson.

Current Employee - Internet Help Desk Technician in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make very good money selling Frontier Secure Products.
    Don't need technical Skills if you are a good sales person and will be well compensated for not only selling Frontier Secure Products but getting the customer off the calls in less than 15 minutes.

Cons

Not Compensated for your technical skills even though you're solving the customer's issues.
    Usually, the more difficult technical issues require more phone time with the customer, which then raises the Internet Help Desk Technician's Handling Time. Upper Management, considers Technicians with high Call Handling Time as inept.

Required Overtime on short notice with no consideration of family hardships and transportation issues. Upper management wants Internet Help Desk Technician's to show compassion toward the customers but show very little compassion towards Internet Help Desk Employees. You must work the mandatory overtime or face disciplinary action.

There needs to be more fairness in compensation for technicians with technical skills vs. technicians with selling skills.

Employees with Hardships and prior appointments shouldn't be required to work mandatory overtime on such short notice.

9. Opportunities Exist for Self-Motivated Individuals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you're a self-motivated individual, who is ready to work hard then there are plenty of opportunities for you at Frontier. You'll be given the opportunity to prove yourself and, if you're reasonably competent, hard work and good technical skills will uncover opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The pace is extremely fast. At times, the company has too many things going on at once and quality of work and quality of life can suffer as a result. The company prides itself on being a leader in services in a technical market space. However, the services (e.g., phones, teleconference facilities, office spaces, etc.) do not at all convey the air of a technically progressive company.

Focus as much on your employee-facing marketing as you do on your customer-facing marketing. Provide employees across the organization with a work environment that makes them FEEL like they're working for a modern, progressive technology company. Be more open in communicating vision to employees in concrete, actionable terms.

10. Growing experience

Current Employee - IHD COACH in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - IHD COACH in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You have good benefits, job security, lots of incentives.

Cons

Diversity, pay scale should be more for the coaches the reps shouldnt make more than the coaches

please look over the pay grade in the Rochester IHD for pay grade for coaches versus your reps

They had a great heritage, but lost it when it became all about the money

Former Employee - Various in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Various in Rochester, NY

I worked at Frontier Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the early 1990's, Frontier (Rochester Tel at the time) was all about their employees. We used to have company picnics, elaborate sales kickoffs and wonderful holiday parties. And they provided great training to their new employees. But as the company grew, things changed.

Cons

Once the leadership moved out of Rochester, NY to Stamford, CT things started on a downward spiral. The focus became all about money and the bottom line, and no longer about customers and/or employees.

Take care of 180 South Clinton! That building is now deteriorating, and it was once the showcase of the company. Focus more on your employees and less on bottom line. Happy employees make you money in the end.

Frontier Communications Photos