Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
2.6

CEO

Great people and comfortable work environment

I have been working at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu

Pros

The people are great to work with and the office culture is very laid back and comfortable. The work hours are somewhat flexible as well.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end compared to other firms in the industry, and the work can get tedious and repetitive.

Waste Of My Time: Minimal New Skills Acquired.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Roomy, personal work space. The ability to make up missed work hours via coming in early, or leaving later than regularly scheduled hours was convenient. Also, there are more than a few, personable and friendly people in various departments, who are easy to converse with and helpful as it relates to questions revolving around work/the office.

Cons

Interviewed and was offered one position, however on my start date, I was told that things had changed within the firm and that I was needed in another department. I was taken aback, as I would have preferred to have been made aware of new changes before coming in. However, being an optimist, I did not view this as unprofessionalism or gross disorganization; I instead assumed that HR was being gracious and was avoiding retracting the initial offer. I was told that I'd be trained for the new position and I accepted. Unfortunately, that didn't quite happen. I did receive one formal training regarding the document management software that was used. Aside from that, I was given menial, inconsistent tasks, from day to day and learning nothing else in regards to training. My time was terribly under utilized by my manager. I requested work daily and was told, that there was nothing for me, or that I needed a specific training on another system to be able to perform certain tasks. Other times I asked for work, I was told that it was really slow but that things would pick up in a matter of weeks. After a while, it seemed that I was simply bothering the department manager and assistant when I asked for work. With that said, often I found myself sitting at my desk for hours with no work, all the while Partners and other employees were walking by glancing at me with a confused look as to why I was even there. Embarrassing! After weeks of this, when I came in one morning, I was told by HR that I was being let go. I asked the reason, and I was told that the manager of my department felt as though I weren't catching on and that I'd made too many mistakes. I was floored. I was not even presented with a notice of separation. As mentioned above, I simply didn't work on anything enough to make any critical mistakes or to even catch onto anything for that matter. With that said, it's difficult for me to believe I was let go due to poor performance. I feel as though they evaluated their workload and determined I wasn't needed. I also feel as though the manager of my department and manager's assistant simply were not fond of me.

Whatever the reason, I am relieved to be out of that environment. I like to work, and I enjoy receiving direction and learning things. I also like to work in an environment in which people aren't walking around rolling their eyes , cursing and speaking disparagingly of others.

Advice To New Hires: I made the mistake of not going to HR when I wasn't given work. I was concerned with stepping on toes and honestly believed work would pick up. Don't do this! Speak up, or else things can be insinuated that actually did not occur.

Be prepared for new hires. Map out what it is that you want them to learn and what projects you want them to work on daily. Let them know what your expectations are of their performance and be clear on what their job responsibilities are. Be cognizant of their training. Don't simply pass them off on other employees and assume that they are getting concise & consistent training from others. Check in with them to determine if they are in fact getting the training they need to perform their job. Don't allow your indifference to an individual to result in wasted money for the company and wasted time for the employee.

Very nice place to work

I have been working at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great place to work no complaints

Cons

no cons great place to work

just be happy

Avoid this place!

Current Employee - Trademark Paralegal in New York, NY

I have been working at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Depending on which attorney you work for, is very laid-back and NEVER has overtime.

Cons

Compensation is VERY poor. Benefits offered are minimal at best.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Finance in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Finance in New York, NY

I worked at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are nice people there but very minimal. The office is very dark and the water filter was always out of order.

Cons

Health insurance is very expensive, very laid back, absolutely no room for growth and the office location is very far from the subway.

Try to find out by is there a high turn-over rate in your support staff.

No room for growth

Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people, depending on which partner you worked for, but other support staff are comprised of lifer's and young recent college graduates; health benefits; 401K

Cons

No room for growth or promotions - salary increases were minimal; work was repetitive and mostly drafting letters or applications; no real differences in work for legal secretary and paralegal

Give competitive salary and opportunity for promotions for support staff - otherwise the younger ones would leave for other career opportunities

ekrjfefejf

Current Employee - Trademark Paralegal in New York, NY

Pros

Laid back, comfortable, cool people

Cons

low pay, very demanding and tedious

increase employee retention with higher salaries

Good hours and low-stress job if you aren't looking for job growth in the field.

Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu

Pros

You need a regular low-stress job so you can do what you really want to do after hours.

Cons

No room for growth or promotions

Avoid working here if you value your career

Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary in New York, NY

I worked at Fross Zelnick Lehrman & Zissu

Pros

If you live in the neighborhood and don't want to commute to work you might consider it, but not for long. If you are an attorney it might be worthwhile.

Cons

The turnover for administrative staff is horrendous. People are not hired because of professional skills or competence. There are hardly any long-term employees except for attorneys. People are fired without cause and with no severance packages. No overtime is paid to administrative staff if at all possible. The work is very factory like in nature and very repetitive. It is volume oriented, mostly dealing with collecting information and letter writing regarding updates on obtaining trademark status. If you are a legal secretary you are likely to lose skills because it is a specialized practice. Only dictaphone is used, there are no one on one dictation skills required. There are no events to schedule and seldom to clients come to the offices so you will not be able to use any planning skills for meetings or make travel arrangements for your bosses. There is no real back up staff in that a temporary employee will not be called in if someone is absent for more than a couple of days. There is a night staff that is expected to do overflow work and it is a skeleton crew at best.

They should leave the firm and try to replace them with professional human resource management.