Fruitful Yield

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
2.2

Albert P Powers

Great pay, hours, and learning involved, but horrible corporate and management.

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked at Fruitful Yield for over two years as a sales associate and key holder and loved every minute of it. Hourly wages were outstanding for a retail job. I was started out at over 9.50 and hour and gradually moved up to over 10. The manager who I worked with was a saint and very understanding about coming in late at times, but also knew which employees to give more hours and responsibilities. Every employee that I worked with treated you as family and we all had no trouble getting the work that needed to be done that day in a little amount of time. If you needed more hours as a part-timer, they would gladly give me 30 to sometimes 35 hours a week.

Cons

The manager who I had worked with ultimately left for a better opportunity elsewhere, and that was when I realized how much of corporate and upper management they hid from us. Corporate is brutal with employees even those who have worked there for years. Rules such as when the cash register is short, everyone who had used it that day will get written up. Even if you had done nothing wrong. The new manager who I worked with the next day was very cold and heartless. Some of the first words I heard out of her mouth as we checked stock were, " This is so degrading. I shouldn't be doing this". Apparently management should not have to mingle with the little people such as you and just sit in the office all day playing manager. The reason I quit was that my school schedule was changing and I had requesting working two to three days a week instead of five. Corporate came back and announced that would not work and I left the next few weeks instead of getting fired.

Stop trying to compete with huge companies like Wal-Mart and get it through your thick skulls that people are sick of being treated like dirt. This could be a excellent place to work if it was not for corporate bullies sitting in their office all day announcing new rules and procedures that ruin the employee moral.

Learn a lot, room for growth, great environment

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working here. It's very laid back and flexible environment. You get to learn new things every day, and get training from different companies. If you put in work and show interest, the company really invests in you and your growth. Management is very understanding and friendly.

Cons

For the information and help we give customers the pay could be a little bit higher. Customers sometimes mistake you for a doctor and get frustrated (or even angry) with you when you tell them you're not.

We want to make the business grow and expand just as much as you do. :)

Confusing, Mismanaged, Unprofessional

I worked at Fruitful Yield full-time

Pros

Great benefits package and excellent 401K plan. Bonuses are fair but change without warning. If you are looking for a place to lay low and just work with no advancement, this is it.

Cons

Highly unorganized business structure starting from the very top. The 2 senior managers are highly unprofessional and secretive about their business agenda. They "flip flop" constantly on projects and consistently ridicule, and quite honestly make derogatory remarks about the Board of Directors. They do not appreciate an employee reaching out to HR or higher management "behind their backs" as they would often state. I worked at this company for many years and although i was paid well, there was no advancement. I was given excellent performance reviews and was always told i was doing a good job. However, once i went to HR to resolve an issue involving another supervisor, my days were numbered. A lot of empty promises just to keep you in line. They do not like problems pointed out to them even if it relates to lost sales and customer complaints. Their "Cloak and Dagger" method of dealing with issues is a bit disheartening as well. They are also very uneducated with current marketing and social media strategies which I think may harm the business in the future. Just try to navigate though their website.

Although I'm sure the stores are prosperous, the current management team in my opinion is not qualified to lead all aspects of the company. They perform well in building new stores, but as you can see by many of the reviews, they are unable to create a positive environment for management. Hopefully, the new CEO of NOW Foods will pay more attention of the escalating turmoil within the management arena and address the issues unlike his predecessor.

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Fruitful Yield full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free products from reps and my staff

Cons

I was bumped up so fast into mgmt, thought it was a great opportunity, but whoa what hell did I ever experience. There is a lot of weird politics going on here, that shock me. A few corp members left because they couldn't stand listening anymore to the schemes and plots against managers. I was a victim of this and after their games played out, there was a mass leave. The corp bosses tell you some things OK, then you get back and are written up. They go behind your back and try to instigate bizarre things and have a special mgr to do their dirty work. They offer you poor advice that changes daily, that if you do work here or are a mgr please do yourself a favor and print every email and avoid the phone calls in answers to your emails. These guys avoid putting everything into writing and even the stuff you do get doesn't help anyway because there's no one above them to complain to. If you feel like a victim of this, quit now before you get terminated because they will and it'll not look good on your next job. Oh and all the dirty rumours about certain people are not rumours, they are facts and unless your willing to do the same, you are on a hit list. I worked 7 days a week, never having an asst and when I did they allowed him/her to steal $ and products and then the person walked out saying they were done playing corp games. I guess it was supposed to somehow be turned on me but they didn't want to follow through so I then worked 7days a week open to close, split shifts, etc. I was terminated for being late!! Odd because the form I signed for termination was blank. Oh another footnote, they will fax docs to you as mgr with whiteout on things, then have you sign (thinking you can't see it show up on fax) well the person I was signing for was the asst and they showed me their actual copy after my signing, they were giving them an extremely high pay raise (more than double my salary) good to know though $$ didn't sway them to immoral acts against me. If you ever get invited out of town to a training and they approve you additional time off please get it in writing, I got written up after the fact because it wasn't approved anymore, they changed their mind while I was out of town. I honestly can't understand their reasonings behind things. Like why do they hire you as a mgr and then do everything they can to torment you until you quit or get fired? I started to think they may be embezzeling somehow and keep the turnover high so the numbers look sloppy and blame it on mgrs? Funny too because the mgrs all spoke and we did everything in uniform. That's my thoughts. Personally these people have no business in their positions and the people beneath them have no reason to be treated so horribly. If anyone reads this, please know your self worth is so much better and go elsewhere to save yourself the horror! All the good hearted, moral people are gone, go where they are.

Stop harassing your staff, stop playing bizarre games, and do your jobs. You are immoral and what you are doing will come back to haunt you one day and maybe Al Powers will wake up to your lies and take ahold of his company again making it back to what the core values are. You guys are disgraceful

Confusing and Frustrating

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lombard, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lombard, IL

I worked at Fruitful Yield full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

As a full time employee (which is only for management) the benefits were above average. Affordable health insurance, dental and vision. Hours were not too bad as far as retail is concerned. The store hours vary on holidays but you are paid for most. Fellow employees at a store level (and I stress at a store level) are like family. Only having 5-10 staff members, sometimes only 2 people working the floor at a time, almost forces you to be a team player and really get to know your co-workers.

Cons

There is no support at a store level, except like I said above, from your store staff. The corporate office does not communicate well. They tend to make bad decisions, backpedal and blame the store managers/store employees. Don't expect to be trained well as a new management hire. They will put you in a store at the first opportunity and with no further training or support. When you do innocently make a mistake there are huge consequences. Turnover in management is well, for lack of a better word, mind blowing. As far as sales positions go, they are very low paying and no benefits. Raises for sales are "token" and not enough to even cover cost of living. We tried to do internal job satisfaction surveys but no one believes they are truly confidential. The fear of retaliation is always there.
    It says the CEO is Al Powers, who is a wonderful person and I have TREMENDOUS respect for BUT he has very little to do with the retail side of the business. Because of that, I couldn't rate him positively.
    I would like to add, I enjoyed my job but hated the office politics and uncertainty of my future. It became so intense I had to leave. I am currently working for another health food store. I am so happy and satisfied in my current management position, I had to write this review. There are companies out there getting it right!

Advice is always given at our exit interviews. Go back and read them! There have been many, many, many managers giving their advice AS THEY ARE LEAVING-which is so SAD.

mostly good, very little pay for work preformed

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomingdale, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomingdale, IL

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (more than a year)

Pros

learn a lot about supplements, nice coworkers

Cons

low pay, complaining customers, standing on feet long periods

Pay more

Whole Foods Market Pays More

I worked at Fruitful Yield

Pros

Customers are overall enjoyable to talk with, the medium of health foods & vitamins is vastly interesting, constantly learning new information, free product every month, frequent paid trainings with incentives.

Cons

The salary is terrible. You are expected to know a lot of information (not the problem) for $9/hr (problem) and work near full-time hours, so as to avoid them paying you benefits.

Management is terrible. I have worked with some of the most unprofessional management here than I have in my whole career. On two separate occasions, said management was rude to companies whom had invited us to dinners for trainings during their presentations. One person of management was so unbearable, it was unanimous, among senior team members and even other management, what a cruel person he/she was. However, this person has been with the company for a long time, and with a known list of registered complaints against him/her, so there is certainly a conflict of interest driving his/her employment.

As with any company, favorites are played and things are swept under the rug.

My particular store had an incompetent manager who was incapable of his/her job. On multiple occasions, I walked in on him/her discussing other workers (myself included) negatively. Very, very unprofessional. That kind of talk is reserved for outside of work. Many people left the store due to him/her, including myself and assistant manager(s).

More of an observation with suspicion rather than a con: this company seems to overwhelmingly employ and promote females. At the time of my employment, every manager of every store except one was female, if I'm not mistaken. Most assistant managers were female, as well.

Unfruitful Yield...

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Berwyn, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Berwyn, IL

I have been working at Fruitful Yield part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bonuses every 3 months, free trainings and free product every month. Most of your coworkers are easy to work with, and a few are very caring.

Cons

They expect a lot of work done for low pay, as with any company. They are not hiring full time workers anymore. A few of the assistant managers are very aggressive, and downright mean. When I first started the company I was in tears from one of them harassing me. And heard from other coworkers that she did the same thing to them.