Fry
www.fry.com Ann Arbor, MI 150 to 499 Employees

Fry Reviews

Updated Jun 20, 2014
Fry – Ann Arbor – “Parking Lot 5pm”

John E. Gularson

A solid company with faults, a place you can make your name

ProsMicros-Retail (formerly Fry) has the only true omni-channel solution for retailers and is delivering it for medium-to-large clients. Ex-Fry folks were turned off by being part of a larger company, but it was being a puzzle piece in a larger solution. Those who stayed and understood that see what a career boost this is--being in a broader context including hospitality, restaurant, etc. MICROS is a giant in the industry with huge resources, and they reward people who have good ideas and work hard to realize them.
    By the way, John Gularson is not the CEO and never was.

ConsOffices are a bit quiet and drab, but the people are great. Some policies, such as lack of transparency on expenses, are annoying, but that's what you get when you work for a public company. You do run into a bean-counter mentality once in a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep opening the doors to innovation. Fix the stuff that's cheap and easy to fix--that's often what employees are grumbling about the most. Hire more resources so we have some bench and agility.

In spite of the bitter ex employee comments it is a great place to work.

Developer (Former Employee)
    Ann Arbor, MI

ProsRelaxed environment that is getting lot's of new business. Omni-Channel integrations and solutions are taking off and a big hit in the market.
    It is funny but I have never seen so many ex employees that appear to be unable to move on. Change isn't for everyone. Omni channel suite of products has opened new doors and opportunities that wouldn't have been there had it remained Fry. Fry could not compete stand alone. There is a new energy in the AA office and it is really on the comeback trail. I am glad I didn't listen to the negative comments when I joined. Unfortunately I had to leave due to family reason. I will look to come back in the near future I hope.

ConsNot adding new employees fast enough

OK

Programmer (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a very good company and employer friendly.

ConsSalary is not so great.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is a very good company and employer friendly.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of smart nice people.

ConsWatch for groups siding together

Advice to Senior ManagementMove faster

Good Team, not much BS

ProsThey have high standards for the quality of work they will release. People are cool- no drama. The environment is professional and you can focus on doing a good job, not navigating office politics. Direct managers seem to really care.

ConsSometimes the planning isn't that good and people work a lot of overtime. Management and senior team members are overworked, so sometimes they aren't able to support you as much as they'd like. Also, there can be odd issues when you have to work with the parent company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan better! There's no reason for us to have these ugly crunches at the end of every single project. Some of us have been putting out fires every day for a year.

Fry (Micros-Retail) is a fun and innovative company.

Ann Arbor, MI

Pros* interesting work, unique and challenging
    * great people working at the company, mostly great clients
    * flexible hours with telecommuting and flexible schedules
    * growing company with a large Product development group

Cons* need good engineers, looking to recruit some good people
    * holidays can be very busy

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on your recruiting

I enjoyed my tenure with the company

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Westmont, IL

ProsRelaxed work environment, interesting work, great people, and great work/life balance. Being a consultant can be tough, but the work is rewarding.

ConsPay is not as competitive as working in downtown Chicago, but living and working in the suburbs worked for me. The company is not as bad as previous reviews with Micros taking over. It's a job and people that don't like change simply move on (and complain).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on employee growth and team building.

Many of the most valuable people have over the last two years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Ann Arbor, MI

ProsImpressive ecommerce platform. Excellent place for developers to work. Work with very prestigious clients and brands.

ConsMicros took over and so the original Fry culture gone. Huge eccomerce brain drain has occurred. Long term viability is questionable.

Advice to Senior ManagementIntegrate the multichannel product suite and become more competitive in the marketplace.

Cool but customer driven

Ann Arbor, MI

ProsThe organization is flat, work environment is friendly and casual. Compensation is good and the nature of work allows plenty of room for creativity.

ConsFlat organization means lesser opportunity to get big promotions and climb the corporate ladder. Some times, unrealistic deadlines communicated to the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management needs to do a better job with Accounts and setting client expectations. Management also needs to put a greater focus on product rather than just delivery.

Great Place to Work

ProsAs a senior software engineer, Fry has provided me with many opportunities to work large e-commerce clients and continue to learn new technologies. The work is very challenging and interesting. Management is also very understanding and fair.

ConsSince Fry is a small company with only a few locations, there are not many opportunities to grow into senior management positions.

Worked for Fry? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fry reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fry CEO John E. Gularson. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Fry employees.