Fry's Electronics

Fry's Electronics Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry

Randy Fry

Pros
  • Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on(in 27 reviews)

• Good exposure to customer service, especially for those recently out of high school(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It was a smart choice from corporate to get the sales guys to do this since we only made minimum wage(in 18 reviews)

• If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again(in 13 reviews)

Meh

Computer Sales (Former Employee)

ProsIf you like computers fun to see all the newest gadgtes

ConsPure commission and a lot of ways to either get 0 commission or even negative if someone returns something

It was ok. Don't expect a lot though.

Computer Merchandiser (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsEmployee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on. You'll understand the reason as to why its limited.

You also get a discount at Town Square here in vegas last time I checked.

Management is chill, although I wasn't sales at the time. Might be less kind to salesfolk.

They were flexible with me working a second job last minute.

I barely did anything most days and still got praised for a job well done.

ConsYou will have to be cutthroat if you want to survive here as sales. They will cut your hours if you suck.

Other employees will steal your sales too. Seen it happen myself.

No discount at the cafe.

A former supervisor told me that he still made minimum wage lmao. He just didn't go into draw for sales. Don't expect much from advancing here.

Customers constantly asking about specific cables and plugs will make you hate your life.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employee's a little more training. Half the time I had no clue what the customer was talking about because I barely knew jack about computers.

Typically awful retail job.

Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsHonestly, there was very little pros about this job, but if I had to name a few good discounts on a few items here and there would be among them. Opportunities to work a lot of overtime, especially near black friday, were good to make a little extra money on the paycheck, but i'll discuss the downfall of that in the cons section. Another pro would be that it's pretty easy to move up to sales if you want an opportunity to make more money and do less grunt work, but there are many complications involved with that.

I guess you could say that I gained some worth experience; i.e., improving people, computer, and customer service skills, but I guarantee you could gain the same, if not more, from any other retail job.

ConsI worked two jobs at this company: Merchandiser, and sales associate. As a merchandiser you are often expected to do much than you are capable of doing, and a lot of the time you may get called up to be a cashier if it is busy; which interrupts projects and is super stressful, especially when one considers the extreme lack of training in arguably every position. A good amount of work was hard lifting, especially in the appliances department, and this is especially hard to do in dress clothes. Climbing a huge ladder to reach products in dress shoes seems extremely dangerous to me, and I almost fell several times. Moreover, like mentioned earlier, you are expected to work a lot of overtime on black Friday and like holidays; personally, I worked an 18 hour shift and then another 12 hour shift the next day. In all honesty, working that much for overtime based on a minimum wage isn't really worth it, but you really don't have a choice in the matter--every one in the entire store is required to work those days, but that's typical of any retail job--and who knows if they aren't adjusting your time to give you less overtime pay.

As a sales person, you are expected to work on a commission only system--this may be true of only a couple departments: audio visual, and appliance/telecom are the two I know work on this system--which seems kind of cool, because you can make good money sometimes, but most of the time it is extremely stressful, and in order to succeed you have to compete against other associates who are the epitome of sleeze-y sales sharks. Moreover, if you don't do as well, and the commission you make isn't enough to cover a minimum hourly wage--which is extremely bad news if minimum wage gets raised, because that's just more money you have to make--then you are essentially in debt and have to make up the difference the next week, and if you can't make up that difference within a 6 week period they are supposed to fire you, but department managers will sometimes either tell you to work off the clock to make it up, or they will add non-commission hours to your paycheck to make it up--but only after your working off the clock isn't enough to cover it. When I worked there, there were a few times when my manager told me not to clock in after lunch and keep working to make my numbers. I did this a couple times until I realized I was working for half of what minimum wage was. Later I realized it was best just to work a couple days during the weekend, because that's when the real money was made, and I found I could make just as much that way without going into draw (the debt I mentioned earlier). Mind you, I was only allowed to work a couple days a week instead of four because I tried to quit, telling my manager that I needed to focus more on school, and we compromised on me working only two days a week; a deal that my coworkers were not very fond of, but honestly, it was the only thing that kept me from quitting.

The sales process can be extremely annoying as well, as you are required to get a name and number from a customer in order to print out a piece of paper that allows you your commission; which is very time consuming and extremely annoying for customers in a rush, and often times other sales people will find an opportunity to steal commission from you if you leave your customer unattended. This wastes paper, it annoys customers, and a midst all of that we are required to harass people into buying worthless performance service contracts, and sometimes you could spend an hour helping a customer and then have them refuse to give you their information--thus forfeiting your commission. Moreover, my training as far as product knowledge and how to sell was virtually nonexistent. They pretty much throw you on the floor and expect you to figure it out on your own, and don't expect other sales people to help you, because they will only use it as an opportunity to steal customers/commission. Moreover, lots of items give you little to no commission--usually sale items--so you are forced to push items that give better commission, even if they are inferior products. You are supposed to go to a video training session every Friday morning, but for those who don't work those hours you obviously can't make it, and even if you are there your managers will often tell you to forfeit the session to stay in the department and sell, or do some merchandising task--by the way, you are expected to merchandise an assigned isle even though you only get paid off commission, which sucks because while you are merchandising someone else is snaking all yours sales. Some "successful" salespeople will straight up lie to sell products, because they know they can get away with it with little to no repercussions; even if the customer comes back and complains, the salespeople are seldom held accountable and walk away with little more than a slap on the wrist.

In regard to management, most people in supervisor or managerial positions are extremely unprofessional, and promotions are mainly given through favoritism and/or nepotism. I had a supervisor whose management style was based on insulting the men and sexually harassing the women; moreover, when I would try to clean during down time, which we were all supposed to do, he would make fun of me, even yell at me, then proceed to harass me later that week when all the items were dirty and he got in trouble for it. Everyone, from managers, to supervisors, to sales people, to merchandisers, are chronically late--and I mean hours late, at least 2-5 times a week--which really screws up everything, as many times there will only be one person in a department, and customers are not helped.

If you are considering a job at Fry's, my advice to you would be to consider it a very temporary thing; from the moment you start, never stop looking for other jobs, because the longer you stay the worse it gets. There is a reason why the turn-over rate is so high there. Also, when you do decide to quit be prepared to be diligent about it, as your manager will mostly likely do anything in his/her power to keep you from quitting, as mine did; I literally tried to quit on at least 3 separate occasions and he kept trying to convince me to say, saying," Oh, you don't have to work as many hours, blah, blah, blah. You're a really good worker and we don't want to lose you." In all honesty, the only reason why they wanted me to stay so bad was because they were severely understaffed, as pretty much everyone quit within the same month or two. Even when I said I was leaving because I found a job--that wasn't 25 miles away and paid more than 8 bucks an hour--he still tried to convince me to stay, saying that there was no reason I couldn't work two jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on punishing undeserving employees and more on training them properly; especially in regard to those in managerial positions. Try more incentives and hourly pay + commission--even if the commission is lower--for positions that are currently commission only. Encourage and facilitate promotions based on merit, not on favoritism.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start your career, but poor pay and poor working conditions.

A+ Certified Service Technician (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

Pros- Potential to learn a lot if you pay close attention.
    - Rewarding if you show that you can go the extra mile
    - They will give anyone a chance (with or without experience)
    - Management are upbeat and do well to keep moral up

Cons- They will give anyone a chance... leading to a possible negative impact to everyone's performance, but they will let you go during probation period, if you don't show any chance of acclimating.
    - Pay structure is vague due to base rate + commission calculations.
    - Work conditions could be better, leading to poor customer service. Few techs can successfully juggle a horde of customers while still completing their work assignments in a tolerable amount of time.
    - The pay will not keep good techs from leaving

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay or improve work conditions. Fry's is losing many great techs that would've stayed if either of these conditions were better.

Poor

Cashier (Current Employee) Campbell, CA

ProsI was able to learn how to feel out different types of people.

ConsWorking here was one of the worst experiences of my life.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain people not to backstab each other.

Absolutely a terrible experience.

ProsBerkeley Fry's manager is strong

ConsThe other "managment" are the worst and have no respect for customers or themselves. They put enough gel in their hair to supersaturate it.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the poor managers, Andy. You know who they are.

Absolutely the worst cashier job I've ever had

Cashier (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIt is easy to get hired, employee discount is worth using, breaks and lunches are mandatory

ConsAll employees take on janitorial duties, all cashiers also work in the cafe, unscheduled and unauthorized overtime almost on a daily basis, managers and HR and security staff are allowed to choose favorite employees, favorite employees are allowed to take 2 hour breaks and make more commission, part time employees are not allowed to advance in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul every aspect of how you operate a store. This is broken on every level. The people don't want to work here, the register and returns systems are outdated by at least 20 years. Favoritism and unfair commission practices run rampant.

Not that great.

Computer Merchandiser (Former Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsSteady hours and flexible schedule. Good discounts.

ConsHigh turnover. Lack of company concern for employees. Lots of slacking off and playing around among employees. Company got rid of merchandiser positions. Everyone is in sales. Everyone is on commission, which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more training to associates.

Good if you need a job, but if you have ambition - stay away.

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Anaheim, CA

ProsSome of my co-workers are now some of my best friends.
    They had flexible scheduling.

ConsLearning does not run through this company.
    Management used short-term tactics rather than long-term strategy.
    Everyone was out for themselves than for a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your employees. Don't just have weekly video conferences and expect that things are alright. Many of the nicest people had bad things to say about the company.

Do you want Fry's with that?

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsDecent benefits on health, dental, etc. (if you can get the hours to qualify for them, that is), steep discount on big ticket items. Hour-long lunches are welcome respites.

ConsPractically everything else. Sales positions are minimum wage, with a draw on your commissions (great if you're successfully selling high-ticket appliances, not so much if you're stuck with accessories or small electronics).
    The training for the sales floor was laughable — orientation was a series of amateurish company videos that under its veneer of professional, friendly service is sell, sell, sell! A mandatory 60-minute teleconference with all the other stores, discussing (read: yelling at) problems of not meeting company sales goals was non-productive, regurgitating old snake oil techniques that no longer work in today's internet-heavy marketplace.
    Leadership was next to non-existant, it appears that the managers standard excuse is having their hands tied, because of Headquarters policies.
    The whole store seems to run on the cheap, some systems still run on DOS, using some archaic suite of programs that fail to communicate with one another. I don't recall seeing a single happy person on the sales floor.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, set your business model to emulate Nordstrom, instead of Walmart. Service is what distinguishes a retail brick-and-mortar business from an online vendor.

Worked for Fry's Electronics? Contribute to the Community!