Fry's Electronics

Fry's Electronics Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry

Randy Fry

Pros
  • Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on(in 27 reviews)

• Good exposure to customer service, especially for those recently out of high school(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • It was a smart choice from corporate to get the sales guys to do this since we only made minimum wage(in 18 reviews)

• If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again(in 13 reviews)

Fry's electronics was a Horrible first job to work at.

Cashier (Former Employee)

Pros10% discount after first 3 months.

ConsThe managers are rude. Its a highly stressful working environment. On day 1 they tell you that if you think your co workers are stealing, rat them out and get $100. You cant trust anyone there from the start. After months of working very hard and keeping up with my duties, I ended up getting fired because the supervisors were lazy and didn't cash out my register when I asked. After I had 2500 total in my register, a manager came over and the supervisors blamed it on me. The management is power hungry and goes that extra distance to let you know their in charge. Its really pathetic. No regrets leaving there. No more dressing up with a tie to clean toilets. No more working extra hard and not getting any recognition.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf your going to make your employees work that hard, at least offer a little more than minimum wage.

I felt that the company was more smoke and mirrors than true knowledge or heart,

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsFriendly staff, cool products, paid training, good employee perks, straight forward with their expectations of employees, room for advancement from within the company

ConsThe management did not act like management is expected to- the frequently would give free advice but lacked follow through on their own "good word", the training while paid severely lacked in gaining any real product knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the amount of work and time that is expected of their employees I do not feel that minimum wage properly reflects the amount in which they claim to "love" their employees. It seemed like a total facade that has left a lot to be desired.

Fry's Electronics

Computer Sales (Former Employee) Burbank, CA

ProsIt is a good employer for the first job. They usually offer low level jobs. They are one of the largest electronic retailers in the US. And they offer a low price guarantee for their products.

ConsSometimes they are not organized. They don't hire good managers who have knowledge of management. overall they don't hire knowledgable people. Therefore their service quality is so low. They are trying to mimic Walmart as their buisiness model.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience, high expectations, very little reward.

Sales Manager (Current Employee) City of Industry, CA

ProsGreat place to build management skills. The high expectations is the school of hard knocks. Use what you learned and bring it to your next job.

ConsHigh expectations with available man power shrinking every year. Very little recognition of achievements. Salary associates are expected to work 10-12 hours a day, six days a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your key players. Every week, all our achievements reset like the last week didn't count.

Customer Service Supervisor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood exposure to customer service, especially for those recently out of high school. Mobility to move around to different departments was relatively easy.

ConsAll employees had to push Fry's Card which is a high interest rate, in-store use only, credit card that had little to no incentives. Was told by management to write people up for not being able to get people to sign up.

Fry's Electronics, where the best buys are everywhere else but here

Computer Sales (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsGreat for part time students that want to make a little extra money with limited availability.

ConsPrice matching kill commission, No base pay, sale items do not pay commission, and management is non existent.

Great job is you love tech and not money!

Computer Sales Associate (Former Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsSurrounded by all the latest technology in computers, home entertainment, and electronics. Interesting and nerdy co-workers make the work environment fun.

ConsExtremely low pay, "promotion" to sales is a sink or swim proposition. If you are good at sales then you'll do well, however if you are inexperienced your chances are not good.

Ok for shopping there...HORRIBLE for working there.

Appliance Sales (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsDiscounts (depending on the item, it's not a flat rate), flexible schedules, they offer good benefits for full-time workers after a few months of working with them.
    Get paid every Thursday. As a sales associate I got paid on full commission, which can be a good or bad thing. You can potentially make plenty of money if you are a full time salesman. A few of my former colleagues made at least $500 a week. However if you don't meet your weekly quota you will be placed in the draw. Good thing is Fry's will pay you at least minimum wage for the hours you worked (which you owe back).

ConsHorrible training (almost non-existent), rude supervisors, competition among sales associates make the working environment not so welcoming. There wasn't a day when salesman argued over "stealing" customers. Fry's also had too many associates working in one department at the same time. Sometimes 10 associates will be on the floor and the maximum number of customers at any time would not be above 5. Having full commission pay, hardly any customers, and too many associates, just led to uneasiness in the workplace. If you happen to be in the draw for 6 weeks Fry's will fire you. As for the paying at least minimum wage, they expect you to make enough sales the following week so you can meet your quota and have enough to give back the money you got for not meeting the quota the previous week (basically you worked for free). Also, commission on items vary and is not a flat rate. Expensive items are not always the best to earn commission (some even give no commission). Fry's also does price matching, which is great if you are a customer but bad if you're a salesman. Price matching almost always drops the commission of that item to $0. If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again. Most of the salesman approach customers and push for items with the most commission, these items may not even meet the customer's needs. If the items customers are looking for hardly pay any commission then salesman usually point to the aisle and walk away just leaving the customer to figure things out on their own. This place is meant for salesmen who are willing to do anything to make money (steal customers, sell wrong items, etc...)

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the training you offer to new employees. Department managers are not willing to help new employees because people are always quitting (hint: they quit because they initially start-off with horrible training and only gets worse later). And salesmen do not help the new employees because they are seen as new competition and want them to quit early. I would have had no problem staying if the work environment were friendlier.

Good for students only

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt is good for getting experience

Consthe compensation is very low

Advice to Senior Managementshould increase the compensation to keep the quality people working for them

Concord, ca. miserable, unethical, no training or support for supervisors, abusive upper management

Anonymous (Former Employee) Concord, CA

ProsThe pay and commission was pretty good for a couple of years. But it has been cut since

ConsThe worst place I've ever worked. Broke labor laws, forced supervisors to sit in meetings longer than 5 hours and then makes them clock out but still stay for longer off the clock. If they stay clocked in because they want to get paid for their time, they either get written up or the time gets adjusted. Some of the management is verbally abusive and not at all supportive of any managers or supervisors or employees if they are not a part of the "in" crowd that parties together outside of work. Ridden with sexual harassment. Lots of paperwork involved that no one around knows how to show you to do it. Broken and defective items are re-shelved because they refuse to take the cost of sending them back to the vendor and so employees are instructed to put the item back up. the walmart of electronics stores, where the cost of low prices is underpaid and badly treated employees and frustrated customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you would be positive and support those who work hard to try and make the store a better place, it would make happier employees who want to do their job.

Worked for Fry's Electronics? Contribute to the Community!