Fry's Electronics Reviews

388 reviews filtered by
2.5
Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry
Randy Fry

Pros
  • Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on (in 31 reviews)

• Benefits are good for a retail store (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • A former supervisor told me that he still made minimum wage lmao (in 22 reviews)

• If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again (in 15 reviews)

Great money with little to no expirence nessicary.

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun day to day experiences. Opportunity to make decent money if you know how to manipulate sales commission system.

Cons

Terrible benefits.
    No 401k matching.
    Commission system is made to work against salespeople.
    No sales training in place.

Advice to Management

Spend more time in your stores getting feedback (honest) from your current associates. I know you promote from within, and you were all on the floor at one point in time, however, times change. This is NO LONGER the "great" company to work for that it once was. Thing have exponentially gone down hill.

high turnover

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Downers Grove, IL

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1 Most of the co-workers are nice.
    2 Fry's is always hiring due to turnover rate.
    3 There are benefits if you stay long enough.
    4 If you are aggressive at selling the right items that pay a commission you might make some money. Unfortunately the commission structure tends to work against you.

Cons

1 Sales associates are paid a minimum wage draw against commission.
    2 The commission structure is set up in a way that the only way to make a commission is if you can steer the customer to buy the item that pays a commission. Many items don't pay any commission. Sale items generally don't pay a commission either.
    3 If you are still in the minimum wage draw after 7 weeks you will be let go.
    4 Even though you are being paid as a commission sales person you will also be expected to help restock shelves and pull items to be transferred to other stores.
    5 The non-commission merchandisers that stock shelves are under staffed, over worked, and under paid.

Advice to Management

1 I highly recommend that corporate considers creating a new pay and commission structure designed to retain employees.
    2 There is lack of training for new hires within many departments.
    3 The merchandisers which are non-commission workers apparently still only get minimum wage even if they have been working there for many years. Some of these merchandisers are great workers that lift very heavy items all day long and still make minimum wage. Give them better pay and the respect that they deserve.

3. Customer Service Associate

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hourly and commission pay. Allows you to make more money the more you ring up.
    Good entry level position to gain experience.

Cons

Commission: You have to fight to get it. If you're not fast or sometimes even ruthless enough about how you get sales you won't make much. You need to ring up $10,000 to get an extra $17 (although you can make more a less and get the respective percentage).
    Duties: The cashiers do just about EVERYTHING for the same minimum wage pay. We clean the bathrooms, do the carts, do returns, make sure the store is safe, direct the line, and so forth. So if you have three or four duties and only work for 6-7 hours, you're not on register and you're not making money.
    Corporate: When the store isn't "making money" the people at corporate generally hit the front check out first and the hardest. They cut our number of full time people last year from about 40 to 20, and we don't have enough cashiers some days, and now they're about to cut us again.
    Black out period: During part of November and all of December NO ONE can take time off due to the holiday season. If you have a problem the answer is always, "That's retail."

Advice to Management

If you want your associates to give better customer service to the people who visit our stores, stop spreading them so thin. Most of the time when dealing with a problem or a customer that is giving us a hard time or has an issue, our thought is "I don't get paid enough to deal with this" and that usually means we don't offer the best service. We are spread too thin and worked too hard to be making minimum wage. Even with the commission, it's not enough to get by. As a full time associate, I still barely make $300 a week with the commission, and that is not enough.

5. good company for while you are in school but overall is ok.

I worked at Fry's Electronics

Pros

meet new people and can be very laid back

Cons

many sales goals and have to work with customers

6. I enjoyed working at this company.

Former Employee - Computer Sales in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Sales in Irving, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Its commission based so the harder you work the more you make

Cons

some days are slow and since the pay is based on commission it can be hard to meet the sales requirements.

7. Over all not bad

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Pay rate is not bad

Cons

Extremely competitive workplace, high expectation by management

An "ok" job but I wouldn't make a living from it.

Current Employee - California in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - California in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Fry's Electronics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount. Good part time work. The people you work with are friendly.

Cons

It depends on the management but they will mess with your schedule time to time without telling you and the fact that everything is on paper at the location doesn't help because you would have to constantly check in to see if your schedule got changed.
    Their POS (point of sale) equipment is really old and outdated. I think that might be the original equipment they started with. Because the computers, scanners, card readers, etc. are so old they cause problems on a regular basis.
    I like the company but I wouldn't work there.

Advice to Management

I would suggest to first update your hardware. I'd also like to suggest using email or something like a google spreadsheet to inform your employees on the weekly labor schedule. I really think that it is unfair to not inform your employees of schedule changes and then punish them for not being at work on time.

Just Ok

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As sales, made decent money to spend while in college. Have benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Long hours during the holiday season and constantly changing goals and projections in the company. Sometimes too stressful to make your projections. Also have to make a certain amount each week in sales.

Advice to Management

Have a clear goal for the sales associate.

10. Low pay commission-based sales

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow employees are wonderful people who sympathize with your struggle at the job. Management is often sympathetic as well due to most of them being internal promotions.

Cons

Customers often come in to buy the cheapest ad item which contains no commission and will not budge from their decision. This means that Sundays (ad days) are usually worked for free and there is the possibility of a write-up for not making minimum wage in commission.

Advice to Management

Treat sales-people with some compassion as brick and mortar stores are mostly going the way of the dinosaur. Amazon is a typical alternative for customers who do not want to be pressured into a different sale.

Experience and so on as a Merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Irving, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics

Pros

-Easy job as a merchandiser
    -Pay above minimum wage
    -Decent discount; good, since it was electronics
    -Some people were easy to get along with, good environment, depending on who you are
    -If you are a female, they try to go easy on you for some reason
    -Usually keep the same schedule
    -Closing time
    -If you want better money, work at the door greeting for nearly 10+ an hour (customer service)

Cons

-BLACK FRIDAY
    -Got boring really fast (that's because I did everything fast)
    -Constantly sexually harassed by my supervisor
    -Dealt with lazy people
    -Merchandisers have to occasionally work the cashier ( that's their way to not hiring cashiers to pay more) you still make $8 an hour even if you are working the cashier. The cashiers make more plus extra depending on what they ring up. So it isn't fair.
    -When I left, even more jobs were being filled by people of different titles, instead of hiring more people.
    -No promotions
    -They try and push you into being in sales, but you must meet a weekly quota, so it's a risk you can take.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, stop getting cheap. Train your workers more and tell them not to constantly play around.