Fry's Electronics Reviews

383 reviews filtered by
2.5
Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry
Randy Fry

Pros
  • Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on (in 31 reviews)

• Benefits are good for a retail store (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • A former supervisor told me that he still made minimum wage lmao (in 22 reviews)

• If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again (in 15 reviews)

1. I enjoyed working at this company.

Former Employee - Computer Sales in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Sales in Irving, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Its commission based so the harder you work the more you make

Cons

some days are slow and since the pay is based on commission it can be hard to meet the sales requirements.

2. Over all not bad

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Pay rate is not bad

Cons

Extremely competitive workplace, high expectation by management

An "ok" job but I wouldn't make a living from it.

Current Employee - California in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - California in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Fry's Electronics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount. Good part time work. The people you work with are friendly.

Cons

It depends on the management but they will mess with your schedule time to time without telling you and the fact that everything is on paper at the location doesn't help because you would have to constantly check in to see if your schedule got changed.
    Their POS (point of sale) equipment is really old and outdated. I think that might be the original equipment they started with. Because the computers, scanners, card readers, etc. are so old they cause problems on a regular basis.
    I like the company but I wouldn't work there.

I would suggest to first update your hardware. I'd also like to suggest using email or something like a google spreadsheet to inform your employees on the weekly labor schedule. I really think that it is unfair to not inform your employees of schedule changes and then punish them for not being at work on time.

Just Ok

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As sales, made decent money to spend while in college. Have benefits for full time employees.

Cons

Long hours during the holiday season and constantly changing goals and projections in the company. Sometimes too stressful to make your projections. Also have to make a certain amount each week in sales.

Have a clear goal for the sales associate.

Experience and so on as a Merchandiser

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Irving, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics

Pros

-Easy job as a merchandiser
    -Pay above minimum wage
    -Decent discount; good, since it was electronics
    -Some people were easy to get along with, good environment, depending on who you are
    -If you are a female, they try to go easy on you for some reason
    -Usually keep the same schedule
    -Closing time
    -If you want better money, work at the door greeting for nearly 10+ an hour (customer service)

Cons

-BLACK FRIDAY
    -Got boring really fast (that's because I did everything fast)
    -Constantly sexually harassed by my supervisor
    -Dealt with lazy people
    -Merchandisers have to occasionally work the cashier ( that's their way to not hiring cashiers to pay more) you still make $8 an hour even if you are working the cashier. The cashiers make more plus extra depending on what they ring up. So it isn't fair.
    -When I left, even more jobs were being filled by people of different titles, instead of hiring more people.
    -No promotions
    -They try and push you into being in sales, but you must meet a weekly quota, so it's a risk you can take.

Hire more people, stop getting cheap. Train your workers more and tell them not to constantly play around.

7. Good for college students

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Its commission. If you want money work hard for it and you can make 13 an hour or more. Video/audio and computers are the place to be.

Cons

Don't go to the bad departments like cell phone sales or software. Especially if the manager is a butt like mine. He kept on adding hours when I was part time. I had 44 hours my last week.

Stop adding my hours! Every other aspect of the job is awesome though.

8. good place for exsperience

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

good hour, decent pay, and electronic.

Cons

company dosent apreciate the worker

I enjoyed the time but was employed as a part time employee for extra pocket change.

Former Employee - Computer Accessories Sales in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Accessories Sales in Houston, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Compensation was decent as an employee not on commission. Co-workers were all friends in and outside work and all got along with each other to help make the company flow smoothly. 1 million dollar bonus after experience with the company which many are working towards.

Cons

No benefits for employees. Employees on commission would push a product to customers for the commission they would earn instead of it being the right fit for the customers needs.

Focus more on the customers needs instead of making employees focused on simply pushing the highly commissioned products.

10. Fun. but expect hard work and low pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, GA

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers' and Management's attitudes were great, very positive.
    Decent benefit, could have been better, but health insurance is provided through blue cross blue shield of California, which is a lot better than blue cross blue shield of Georgia.
    Pay is raised by a dollar an hour during the holidays (November to January) in replacement of a holiday bonus, which rewarded you for longer hours during a stressful time of year.

Cons

Few opportunities for career progress or raises. If you worked on commission, you could make a fair amount, but working the floor in software or components left you with what ever hourly rate you got.

Give more opportunities for pay increase or bonuses.

11. Overall enjoyable, but bad management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's an enjoyable place to work. Most employees were young adults you could get along with easily. It's a good first job. You can also move up in the workplace as long as you're willing to move departments and/or stores.

Cons

Being skilled at working there means nothing. It's all about following policy for the managers, including the store managers. If an employee breaks policy, they have to be dealt with because the managers are scared of Home Office (corporate) getting onto them for not dealing with it, no matter how good the employee is. The pay as a cashier (Customer Service Associate) is also pretty low.

Listen to your employees about how to improve the store since they're the ones hearing all the customer complaints, not you. Don't be afraid of Home Office. Don't fire skilled workers and keep the very unskilled ones just because they don't ever break policy. That plus pay is why your employee turnover rate is so high.