Fry's Electronics Reviews

385 reviews filtered by

1. Fun. but expect hard work and low pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Duluth, GA

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers' and Management's attitudes were great, very positive.
    Decent benefit, could have been better, but health insurance is provided through blue cross blue shield of California, which is a lot better than blue cross blue shield of Georgia.
    Pay is raised by a dollar an hour during the holidays (November to January) in replacement of a holiday bonus, which rewarded you for longer hours during a stressful time of year.

Cons

Few opportunities for career progress or raises. If you worked on commission, you could make a fair amount, but working the floor in software or components left you with what ever hourly rate you got.

Give more opportunities for pay increase or bonuses.

2. Overall enjoyable, but bad management.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's an enjoyable place to work. Most employees were young adults you could get along with easily. It's a good first job. You can also move up in the workplace as long as you're willing to move departments and/or stores.

Cons

Being skilled at working there means nothing. It's all about following policy for the managers, including the store managers. If an employee breaks policy, they have to be dealt with because the managers are scared of Home Office (corporate) getting onto them for not dealing with it, no matter how good the employee is. The pay as a cashier (Customer Service Associate) is also pretty low.

Listen to your employees about how to improve the store since they're the ones hearing all the customer complaints, not you. Don't be afraid of Home Office. Don't fire skilled workers and keep the very unskilled ones just because they don't ever break policy. That plus pay is why your employee turnover rate is so high.

3. Terrible top down micromanagement style.

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Arlington, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Associates and customer interactions were positive. Fair wage compensation in comparison to surrounding businesses.

Cons

Tight micromanagement. Often devote 45+ hours a week to work, but only receive ~34 hours of wages due to forced extended lunches. Management would not allow any overtime, but required me to remain available to clock back in for a later shift time.

Learn to give associates the benefit of the doubt. Learn to train your employees to be professionals, instead of riding them like expendable resources.

5. Cafe Supervisor

Current Employee - Cafe Supervisor
    Current Employee - Cafe Supervisor

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's pretty easy to get to Sup status just have to show you want it!

Cons

Not really much room for further advancement once you get trapped in the Cafe.

Listen to the people who are running your business. They know what's best for their store!

6. Its a good job, very nice and friendly environment to work at.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make so much money by working there and pretty good and flexible schedules.

Cons

although the commissions are pretty decent on a lot of products but i still dont like the full commission system. and i also hate putting staff on the shelf and maintain some assigned aisle without getting paid.

it's great management, very good and professional managers. the only thing i hate about that place is the straight up commission system they should look into that by reducing the commission on the products and keep it PSCs and start paying hourly like a minimum wage that would help on slow weeks.

7. Loss Prevention

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Great team training. Great work ethics.

Cons

none in my opinion. really good.

none

8. Decent

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Renton, WA

I have been working at Fry's Electronics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay depending on which department you work

Cons

Retail. Sometimes feel overworked and underpaid

Care more for your employees

9. Review

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Has many opportunities for advancement

Cons

Must be able to handle working in a fast paced environment

10. The absolute worst work experience of my life!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate- Call Center in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate- Call Center in San Jose, CA

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of the other customer service associates were very friendly and helpful. That's about the only positive thing I can say about my experience at Fry's.

Cons

Very low pay( minimum wage), extremely unorganized and unethical supervisors, horrible training; in fact, no training at all really. They just stuck us out with the other floor associates to "shadow" and expected us to do everything on our own by the 3rd day, even though they stated it would be a full week of training. The issues began after my interview. I should have seen the red flags from the start. I told the hiring manager that I had an obligation during one of the days over my week of training. She said it was not a problem and that they could work around it. I was supposed to start that morning at 9am, but was told to come in when I could, later that afternoon. Over the weekend before I began training, I received a call regarding my start date and also the dress code. The next day I received a call from another supervisor that I had never spoken to before. She mentioned that I am starting on Monday, but that she needed to hear back from me. I called back but it was the Fry.com number in which I was put on hold for 15-20 minutes( I was also put on hold for long amounts of time when calling back to schedule an interview) So being that it was Valentines Day and I had plans with my wife, I decided not to stay on hold any longer and just go in on Monday. That morning I met with the woman who attempted to call me, first thing out of her mouth was" You never called me back!" I explained to her that I was on hold for a long time and that it was Valentines Day so I was busy,plus I had already gotten validation from another supervisor about my start date. I then asked if there was a direct line or if she had a personal extension if such a situation occurred in the future. She said no, you have to call the business line and wait. Anyway, so I already explained how horrible the training was, the supervisors did absolutely nothing to help us out in anyway. Come Wednesday, I was being contacted by the supervisor by early afternoon asking why I haven't come to work yet( I did remind her the day before about my obligation and that I'd come in when I could) So she called me twice, first from her cell phone, and the next call was from the business line, which she leaves me her PERSONAL EXTENSION( hmmmm I thought such a thing didn't exist). She left me a message with a lot of attitude. I called back and explained to her that I wouldn't be able to make it in for another hour. She said I should of called sooner to let her know, even though I didn't specify an exact time I'd be in, rather an approximation. But at this point I didn't care, I was more upset about her lying to me about there not being a direct line. I told her its nice to know there is a direct line to call so I won't have to be on hold for up to 20 mins, being that we are employees and should get a direct number to call in case we are running late or have an emergency come up. She said nothing but claimed I should of called either way and that it was too late for me to come in that day. The next day, I was talked to by a couple different supervisors/managers about the situation. She wasnt there, but came in later and directed a large amount of attitude to me regarding how I was training. By this point, I knew I was not going to stay. I completed the week and quit the next day, Friday. I filled out the training questionnaire regarding my experience and left it in my file box(hopefully it found its way to management). It was my worst job experience ever. I think they have a really hard time getting associates to stay as I saw lot of other applicants interviewing through the week there, also a lot of empty rows of cubicles and repeated job postings for the position on Craigslist since then. Just thought I would share my experience with anyone that it does concern. Oh by the way, its been a week and I still have not been paid. In California you are supposed to be issued your final paycheck within 72 hours of quitting your job. It sure doesn't surprise me with them. Also I was never told of any HR department or contact line to call regarding issues in the work place. It's as though they were trying to hide our resources from us. I would like to find a way to contact corporate and tell them about my experience. I have been a long time Fry's shopper and after what I went through working there I will never give them my business again. The laptop I am typing on right now was purchased from Fry's as well as many other computer appliances throughout the years. Never again.

QUALITY ASSURANCE!!! I could go on forever, but I will just keep it short. Management should do a thorough assessment of the supervisors in charge of the Fry's home office call center. I don't think the supervisor I dealt with was doing her job in the slightest. Lots of lies, deception, and exploitation. Seems most of the associates there were younger, impressionable types and are not experienced enough to voice their opinion against that nonsense.

Nepotism, nepotism, no pay ....This place is getting worse and worse.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You can manage some of your schedule at work, also you can take different days off.
    Nice coworkers, fun environment.

Cons

Commission is getting from low to none.
    Whatever had a little bit commission, but it went on weekly sale or price matched or lately daily promo codes pays you ZERO. So here I am, walking the floor and assist customers, with TV s, speakers, carrying, loading or whatever, fooor free.

On top of this.
    From my knowledge Sales person means, aproach customers, help, and sale them the things they need... which is impossible since all have to hustle the customer so we can make a living, but going back, my duty should be sales, and when is really slow maybe help the merchandisers with set the isles back to their initial from. INSTEAD we are asked to do merchandise all the time... again... go back carts, signs and all that, while supervisors sale on the floor. At the end they complain why you are not reaching your sales numbers, cables, warranties and many others.

So you have to make commision to cover your hours multiplied by minimum wage, if u re not , you re in draw. Let's say u work 30 hours, therefore your commission should be 300 but u only make 200, so they ll pay 300, because they forced by law to do so, but the following week if you make 400 in the same amount of hours, they'll take back that 100 they gave you previous week.

A customer returns something in less then 30 days, which happens a lot due "no restocking fee policy " , then you're hit, meaning the commission you made two weeks ago let's say, is taken back from you. Me for example, I started my week with a NEGATIVE 120, meaning I have to sell to cover that hole first and then I will make money for my paycheck.

AND IS MOORE TO COVER BUT NO TIME NO SPACE FOR IT.

Take better care of your employees. Everybody is leaving this place. We are not getting payed. The whole department goes on draw.

You guys pushing us to provide a good customer service. Let me ask, how can I be smiling when I know I'm in draw again, and nothing I sell pays me so I can pay my bills.
    Promo codes on a 1500 $ tv should pay a little at least because I work with your customer, I grab that tv from the backstock, climbing a manaboard up there and load the tv into a cart. Understand good weeks and bad weeks. A lot of times we're only sales associates on the floor, and we are not selling to eachothers to reach your numbers.