Fry's Electronics

Updated December 16, 2014
2.4

Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry
Randy Fry

Pros
  • Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on (in 31 reviews)

• Benefits are good for a retail store (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • A former supervisor told me that he still made minimum wage lmao (in 22 reviews)

• If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

It's an alright experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time

Pros

You get to learn the aspects of customer service, and the people you work with are amazing. You get commission plus a base pay which adds up weekly, and also plenty of jobs to choose from.

Cons

After being there for a while, you see many flaws of the work establishment. Sometimes unorganized and some of the policies confuse or give customers a chance to take advantage of the system. Overtime your pay rate goes down when you being pulled off your area constantly getting rid of your chance at commission which leaves you at minimum wage and a poor check.

Hire more staff and assign them to set areas instead of using less people to save money. Also the better organized your managing staff is, helps the chance the employees will be happy to do the same.

Turn over rate is understandably high

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. Co-workers are good.

Cons

They throw you to the wolves, as far as sales training goes. In-house training is mediocre. They don't explain much about the psychology of selling. They require white shirts which get dirty and dingy easily in the environment.

Working at Fry's was a roller coaster

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are great at sales than earning commission would be a great asset

Cons

the people there are boring and the environment as well

personal growth

Great co-workers, but management could use some help.

Former Employee - Computer Test Technician in Hanford, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Test Technician in Hanford, CA

I worked at Fry's Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Given the opportunity to further my knowledge and gain certifications.
    - Computer manager was great and understood what people were capable of.
    - Manager gave us actual goals we could work toward. He shared numbers and what he expected of us.
    - Co-workers are great and fun to work with.

Cons

- Higher management is power hungry and doesn't like to be proven wrong.
    - No ability to sit other than during breaks.
    - Empty promises of moving up in the company.
    - Positions get filled with unqualified workers and the ones that know how to do it are pushed aside.

Put some real meaning behind your words. Your employees can only take so many broken promises before they take action themselves.

Terrible employers. They don't care about employees or customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Fry's Electronics

Pros

You work with a lot of great coworkers.

Cons

Everything. The managers are terrible. Most of them are not fit to be managers. Basically you must do lots of sucking up to become one.

Fix this terrible company.

Ok company

I worked at Fry's Electronics

Pros

Not a place I would comment anyone. It is a job period.

Cons

Everything needs to be re-structured.

no future, low salary, and overwhelm with duites

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fountain Valley, CA

I have been working at Fry's Electronics part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

get employees discount, easy to apply

Cons

too much duties for an $8 dollar position and bad work schedule.

High Stress, no base pay, not a lot of room to move up, understaffed

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Fry's Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I work with are awesome. Sometimes there are certain weeks where we get paid more on products than other weeks, which makes up for a pretty good check. This is like boot camp of customer service it prepares you to deal with a lot of customers when understaffed and expands your selling skills. After your there for three years I believe you get 10 days vacation.

Cons

There really isn't much training on products. We will have a weekly video conferencing training once a week on one to two products, but we don't have time to go to video conferences unless mandatory because we are so short handed at the time. That's only one or two product training out of maybe 10 to 50 new products we may get per week. Most of the products I learn by myself or with my team. The job is also ALL COMMISSION with no base pay. So it can get tough you have to meet your minimum hourly each week or you will end in the draw. You have 6 to 7 weeks to get out or your gone. Also with commission only you have to give customers quotes or you won't get paid and sometimes customer feel bothered, irritated, or will tell you I have more shopping to do and won't give you a chance to write a quote. Besides selling you also have to pull your products from the warehouse and carry them to the customers car while you have other customers wait for you or they may leave because they waited to long. It gets stressful at times likes this especially if you have a few customer waiting. Now this only happens when there's not a lot of people on the floor and its just you alone or one more person. As far as space to move up, maybe and that is maybe if one manager moves in three to four years or quits you might have a chance to move up. Sometimes things will go on sale and we don't have them or don't have enough.

From the customer point of view. I see a lot of customers come in and because the Salesmen are on commission they will only point out where items are and that is within their department when they are not busy because they know that they are not going to get paid. So they much rather stand around the podium and wait for a good sale and the customer goes home with a bad experience because the salesman didn't want to help them with a small item. Which maybe if there was different brackets of base pay this will fix the problem instead of commission only. I also see this in the departments with commission plus hourly, so again I believe commission plays a role in this. I can see the commission working in car dealerships, but here it seems like a lot of customers are leaving with an unsatisfied experience. Also carryout issue. I believe salesmen can pull their product bring it upfront and if the customer is ready sure they can help them, but to have a salesmen pulled of the floor while there's a line of people waiting for help and then there's three courtesy associates one checking receipts one greeting and the other just standing around. I feel that, that one person can contribute and help or to have one dedicated cashier be ready for a carry out will make it for a more speedy process than to have to leave the floor and miss customer opportunity. Also note to home office offer accessories for all current products. I have missed opportunities where I don't have an accessory for an item we sell and then we have and upset customer. Also sells will improve if you keep a spreadsheet or graph on what sells the most on the weekly basis or every 14 day and keep on top of ordering that before stores run out. There have been times where all if not almost all stores are out of a product that sells really well has good margin and we will be out for weeks before we get more in. THOSE ARE MISSED OPPORTUNITIES.

Great for retail newbies but unprofessional environment...

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at Fry's Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling and one hour lunches are nice. The discount varies on each item, but is still beneficial to some extent. I once saw an employee with no qualifications get a supervisor position, so hey there's advancement opportunities. If you're looking for your first job, you will learn the good, the bad, and the ugly side of retail here. Nothing wrong with lessons you'll take with you for life.

Cons

Prehistoric POS systems and tech for employees, which means slow movement of a long line at front checkout and annoyed customers. Management can be two-faced, which means iffy communication. Salesmen are seedy and will whine about their commission if you are a CSA and make a mistake on processing their sale, so watch your back. You also earn commission as a CSA, but the margin is so minimal that your fellow co-workers will be greedy and cherry pick their customers. And favoritism...oh God, the favoritism.

Do your job the right way. Associates (especially salesmen) get paid next to nothing and they have to deal with your favoritism and unpredictable behavior.

Learn how to swim with the sharks.

Current Employee - Computer Sales in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Sales in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Fry's Electronics part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly associates, involved higher ups, commission based sales helps on good weeks, broad range of customers and interests there, learning development in the department you're in.

Cons

COMMISSION BASED SALES AND THE DRAW SYSTEM, internet price matching, and returns. 3 of every sales associates' worst fears in almost every department.

Be involved with your associates and help them, it makes a huge impact.