Fry's Electronics

Updated August 14, 2014

2.2

Fry's Electronics President Randy Fry
Randy Fry

Pros
  • Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on (in 27 reviews)

• Good exposure to customer service, especially for those recently out of high school (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • It was a smart choice from corporate to get the sales guys to do this since we only made minimum wage (in 19 reviews)

• If you are expecting to be provide excellent customer service, think again (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Best job I've had so far

Pros

Love the people I work with, love my hours, and a chance for a raise every 13 weeks. Depending on how well you do you can get paid up to 13.50 an hour.

Cons

Being in charge of catching everyone's mistakes at the registers. Making sure customers don't leave with unpaid items. Dealing with the rude customers.

Honestly, you guys do a great job. Love my work. I've had some serious health issues come up and y'all have done your absolute best to work with me.

Was a good sales experiance

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

Pros

The ability to grow in the company was always there. I love computers so it was great to be able to sell something that I loved.

Cons

The department that I was in had 5 managers. And there were times when all of them were there. It was very difficult to understand the direction the department was headed when they didn't agree on something. I did not enjoy working after closing to put the signage up. It was a smart choice from corporate to get the sales guys to do this since we only made minimum wage.

More respect for employees.

It was ok. Don't expect a lot though.

Former Employee - Computer Merchandiser  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Computer Merchandiser in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Employee discount that can be pretty amazing depending on what you use it on. You'll understand the reason as to why its limited.

You also get a discount at Town Square here in vegas last time I checked.

Management is chill, although I wasn't sales at the time. Might be less kind to salesfolk.

They were flexible with me working a second job last minute.

I barely did anything most days and still got praised for a job well done.

Cons

You will have to be cutthroat if you want to survive here as sales. They will cut your hours if you suck.

Other employees will steal your sales too. Seen it happen myself.

No discount at the cafe.

A former supervisor told me that he still made minimum wage lmao. He just didn't go into draw for sales. Don't expect much from advancing here.

Customers constantly asking about specific cables and plugs will make you hate your life.

Give your employee's a little more training. Half the time I had no clue what the customer was talking about because I barely knew jack about computers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible

Former Employee - Computer Sales  in  Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Computer Sales in Fremont, CA

Pros

Only pro would be discounts, but you can easily find them cheaper on Amazon.

Cons

Poor management, terrible pay, unwilling to pay for talent.

My experience at Fry's was a great opportunity and experience, it helped me grow professionally.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great environment to help one grow and learn the likes of a more professional environment. Great cultural experience and great learning opportunities in regards to working well with others.

Cons

There were a lot of people in and out, high turnover rate. Lots of angry customers. You may not know the inside of what is really going on at times.

interact with employees more to understand them and create a more efficient work environment

Fry's Electronics

Current Employee - Computer Sales  in  Webster, TX
    Current Employee - Computer Sales in Webster, TX

Pros

Getting to know people and learning things that you have never heard of in your life before

Cons

Certain requirements during the slow week.

Good start job

Former Employee - Computer Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Sales in Austin, TX

Pros

-Tons of freedom
    -You can make a lot of money if you're a good enough salesman

Cons

-Horrible management
    -PSC's
    -If you get promoted it's either out of luck or your just a good salesman
    -Fighting over sales
    -TSR
    -Trying to justify restocking and cleaning the aisles as a way of selling a laptop with a PSC
    -V-Con
    -Horrible employee discounts (Price match when you possibly can)

Stop being oblivious to the fact that you work for a crappy company that makes salesmen do all the work that you hire hourly merchandisers do.

Typically awful retail job.

Former Employee - Merchandiser/Sales Associate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser/Sales Associate in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Honestly, there was very little pros about this job, but if I had to name a few good discounts on a few items here and there would be among them. Opportunities to work a lot of overtime, especially near black friday, were good to make a little extra money on the paycheck, but i'll discuss the downfall of that in the cons section. Another pro would be that it's pretty easy to move up to sales if you want an opportunity to make more money and do less grunt work, but there are many complications involved with that.

I guess you could say that I gained some worth experience; i.e., improving people, computer, and customer service skills, but I guarantee you could gain the same, if not more, from any other retail job.

Cons

I worked two jobs at this company: Merchandiser, and sales associate. As a merchandiser you are often expected to do much than you are capable of doing, and a lot of the time you may get called up to be a cashier if it is busy; which interrupts projects and is super stressful, especially when one considers the extreme lack of training in arguably every position. A good amount of work was hard lifting, especially in the appliances department, and this is especially hard to do in dress clothes. Climbing a huge ladder to reach products in dress shoes seems extremely dangerous to me, and I almost fell several times. Moreover, like mentioned earlier, you are expected to work a lot of overtime on black Friday and like holidays; personally, I worked an 18 hour shift and then another 12 hour shift the next day. In all honesty, working that much for overtime based on a minimum wage isn't really worth it, but you really don't have a choice in the matter--every one in the entire store is required to work those days, but that's typical of any retail job--and who knows if they aren't adjusting your time to give you less overtime pay.

As a sales person, you are expected to work on a commission only system--this may be true of only a couple departments: audio visual, and appliance/telecom are the two I know work on this system--which seems kind of cool, because you can make good money sometimes, but most of the time it is extremely stressful, and in order to succeed you have to compete against other associates who are the epitome of sleeze-y sales sharks. Moreover, if you don't do as well, and the commission you make isn't enough to cover a minimum hourly wage--which is extremely bad news if minimum wage gets raised, because that's just more money you have to make--then you are essentially in debt and have to make up the difference the next week, and if you can't make up that difference within a 6 week period they are supposed to fire you, but department managers will sometimes either tell you to work off the clock to make it up, or they will add non-commission hours to your paycheck to make it up--but only after your working off the clock isn't enough to cover it. When I worked there, there were a few times when my manager told me not to clock in after lunch and keep working to make my numbers. I did this a couple times until I realized I was working for half of what minimum wage was. Later I realized it was best just to work a couple days during the weekend, because that's when the real money was made, and I found I could make just as much that way without going into draw (the debt I mentioned earlier). Mind you, I was only allowed to work a couple days a week instead of four because I tried to quit, telling my manager that I needed to focus more on school, and we compromised on me working only two days a week; a deal that my coworkers were not very fond of, but honestly, it was the only thing that kept me from quitting.

The sales process can be extremely annoying as well, as you are required to get a name and number from a customer in order to print out a piece of paper that allows you your commission; which is very time consuming and extremely annoying for customers in a rush, and often times other sales people will find an opportunity to steal commission from you if you leave your customer unattended. This wastes paper, it annoys customers, and a midst all of that we are required to harass people into buying worthless performance service contracts, and sometimes you could spend an hour helping a customer and then have them refuse to give you their information--thus forfeiting your commission. Moreover, my training as far as product knowledge and how to sell was virtually nonexistent. They pretty much throw you on the floor and expect you to figure it out on your own, and don't expect other sales people to help you, because they will only use it as an opportunity to steal customers/commission. Moreover, lots of items give you little to no commission--usually sale items--so you are forced to push items that give better commission, even if they are inferior products. You are supposed to go to a video training session every Friday morning, but for those who don't work those hours you obviously can't make it, and even if you are there your managers will often tell you to forfeit the session to stay in the department and sell, or do some merchandising task--by the way, you are expected to merchandise an assigned isle even though you only get paid off commission, which sucks because while you are merchandising someone else is snaking all yours sales. Some "successful" salespeople will straight up lie to sell products, because they know they can get away with it with little to no repercussions; even if the customer comes back and complains, the salespeople are seldom held accountable and walk away with little more than a slap on the wrist.

In regard to management, most people in supervisor or managerial positions are extremely unprofessional, and promotions are mainly given through favoritism and/or nepotism. I had a supervisor whose management style was based on insulting the men and sexually harassing the women; moreover, when I would try to clean during down time, which we were all supposed to do, he would make fun of me, even yell at me, then proceed to harass me later that week when all the items were dirty and he got in trouble for it. Everyone, from managers, to supervisors, to sales people, to merchandisers, are chronically late--and I mean hours late, at least 2-5 times a week--which really screws up everything, as many times there will only be one person in a department, and customers are not helped.

If you are considering a job at Fry's, my advice to you would be to consider it a very temporary thing; from the moment you start, never stop looking for other jobs, because the longer you stay the worse it gets. There is a reason why the turn-over rate is so high there. Also, when you do decide to quit be prepared to be diligent about it, as your manager will mostly likely do anything in his/her power to keep you from quitting, as mine did; I literally tried to quit on at least 3 separate occasions and he kept trying to convince me to say, saying," Oh, you don't have to work as many hours, blah, blah, blah. You're a really good worker and we don't want to lose you." In all honesty, the only reason why they wanted me to stay so bad was because they were severely understaffed, as pretty much everyone quit within the same month or two. Even when I said I was leaving because I found a job--that wasn't 25 miles away and paid more than 8 bucks an hour--he still tried to convince me to stay, saying that there was no reason I couldn't work two jobs.

Focus less on punishing undeserving employees and more on training them properly; especially in regard to those in managerial positions. Try more incentives and hourly pay + commission--even if the commission is lower--for positions that are currently commission only. Encourage and facilitate promotions based on merit, not on favoritism.

Fairly easy tasks, and even passed work environment.

Current Employee - Processing Associate  in  Hanford, CA
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Hanford, CA

Pros

Not to stressful, and not to fast passed.

Cons

Very little pay, workers are very unprofessional.

There needs to be a fair treatment upon everyone, and the wages should be the same everywhere.

Made great friendships, but the pay is bad.

Pros

There's always something to do so you won't get bored as a merchandiser. They give most employees an hour lunch. Their hours are flexible based on your availability. You also get paid weekly.

Cons

Only merchandisers, cashiers, & IP associates get paid hourly. Sales employees only get paid commission. Internet price matching takes away sales employees commission. Store manager & assistant store manager only care about sales that make gross profit. They force merchandisers to be cashiers. Most hourly paid employees get paid minimum wage. They don't give employees raises & the only way to get paid more as a merchandiser & cashier is to take a unnecessary test to gain commission for ringing up customers. The commission isn't really worth it either since as a merchandiser you will be busy dealing with product so you won't have much of a chance gaining commission on the register. Normal cashiers will also have to the work in the return department if they pass the test which takes away an hour of gaining commission in the registers. Customers always except that employees know everything about the products & are mostly rude. Holidays are extremely awful.

Pay merchandisers & cashiers more if you want them to do all the work you want them to do. Minimum wage isn't enough for all the bullcrap you make your employees do. Plus sales associates should also get a hourly paid because not every weeks is a good week for sales. I also recommend to official stop price matching. Price matching makes the company loses profit & takes away sales associates' commission.

Worked for Fry's Electronics? Contribute to the Community!