Fry's Food Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014
Updated August 24, 2014

2.2

Steve McKinney

Pros
  • They will hire almost anybody and takes one year at part time to get benefits (in 5 reviews)

• They provide good insurance, joining the union is optional, the pay is "o (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Skeleton crews doing 3 times the amount of work they should be doing (in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is a challenge for a lot of the management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People

Current Employee - Floral Clerk  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Floral Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people who work at fry's are very nice. I have been very lucky to work with such great people.

Cons

The pay is minimum wage and is hard to move up in pay. They give 10 cent raises as you climb the ladder.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food part-time for more than a year

Pros

I think that with any job comes good and bad. Management here is pretty good. Though managers stay for only six months to a year, and another is sent in. If you can handle being upbeat, positive, and disregarding any negative comments from a customer... why not.

Cons

Starting pay isnt very good.
    You start at the bottom of the totem pole for hours.
    You have to earn your way, and thats by time.

Advance co-workers that want to be advanced. I have seen so many times that someone is chosen to advance simply because they suck up to managers. Even though, they hinder other co-workers environments, maliciously gossip, and knowingly do not follow rules. *Open your eyes, be on the floor!

One problem after the next

Current Employee - Produce Clerk  in  Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced work,friendly co-workers,get to meet new people,not too hard to get promoted,flexible hours,can fill out extra hours sheet if more hours are needed

Cons

My health insurance keeps getting cancelled.My hours worked are not being reported to Southwest Service Administrators.Low pay,takes years to get out of the $8-$9 bracket.

Make human resources more efficient.Tired of having my health insurance cancelled every other month.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a great company with minor flaws.

Former Employee - Department Manager  in  Sahuarita, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Sahuarita, AZ

I worked at Fry's Food full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great (former) training program. I felt like I truly got the full deal while getting my training completed. It was truly the best and highest quality training I had ever received from any job former or present.

*****Unionized***** The union, UFCW local 99, was amazing, top notch group of people...and it is a right to work state!

Good chain of command and an open door policy meant that any manager was approachable and willing to help any associate. (most managers were great too...most)

Good rate of pay for the lower level jobs, paid holidays (if full-time or working duration longer than 1 year), time and a half on worked holidays if union enrolled (worth it in my opinion)

many many more great incentives!

Cons

Managment at the store I worked at was terrible! on my scheduled day off an assistant store manager told me I *had* to work or be written up for my third late/tardy in 60 days and be suspended for three days!

Lied to about position title and contract from same manager mentioned before.

terrible department hour to deployment strategy leaving workers over taxed and under valued.

disinterest in advancment, the company, or possibly my store, would rather hire people into positions than advance current employees!

I was given the management position for starbucks and was told my formal interview would be in a few weeks. It kept being pushed back for some reason or another. I worked two months as a manager without the pay or authority. Scheduling for a 13 person department with over 300 hours to disperse, and all ordering and everything else but they never wanted to give me the pay, just all the hours and labor with no back pay. Very dissatisfied. Had to leave before I died under the weight of working 6 days a week and 60+ hours with no support.

Show appreciation to employees who show initiative and willingness to work hard for promotions.

Just don't make this into a career.

Former Employee - Front End Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Front End Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Fry's Food full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work with students. Good job security.

Cons

No work life balance for management. Stink Vision is a joke. Skeleton crews.

After serving Frys for 9 years you need to walk the talk. Respect your employees. Stop with all the irritating Stink Vision nonsense. You can tell your store is out of control when your managers are screaming for "help" at the check stands. As one of your customers I can see that your company needs to invest more in the employees more than technology that tries to save you money, and exposes the true nature of how you do business. And one more thing educate most of your DM's, OPS's, Store Management, and Asst. Managers on how to actually engage your customers and employees.

Disgusting

Current Employee - Fuel Clerk  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fuel Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good if you can't find a job anywhere else.

Cons

They moved me to Fuel here in Phoenix. At first it was wonderful, but after 5 months, with the union cracking down, it was a avalanche.
    Basically, they refuse to give anyone in Fuel a break now, despite union negotiations. They'll ride your butt if you even try to buy a drink and continue to drink it in the kiosk (during working). We can no longer use the restroom for any purpose unless we our on our break. If you are a smoker, you have to walk to behind the store (usually a 5-7 minute walk) and walk back in 15 minutes.

Now, this "fresh & friendly" bull. I am excepted to: Run the register, wash windows/air tires/clean tires/so on, clean, stock, welcome people, and so, so, so much more. Yeah, sounds like I'm complaining about working: I'm not. I have to do that all at the same time, without making any costumer mad. If I make costumers mad doing that now, it's against my new contract and can lead to termination. Remember the trashbins? I have to physically carry each bag into the trash compactor from the kiosk, because you can't use a cart, and all the 6-wheel carts (yes, all 4 of them) are being used. It doesn't sound bad, but somehow, each of those bags weight more than 30 pounds. 30 * 5 = 150 pounds of leaking nasty garbage. Not even willing to let us use gloves or a smock to wear

You guys are a pathetic excuse of a store, and a company. I have actually become an alcoholic because I know deep down, I need this job to continue my school, but every night I have to drink myself to a slumber because it is virtually impossible to not get a phone call every 20 minutes to an hour about how I'm a piece of crap because this customer is mad because of all the **** you require us to do every freaking second or I am terminated from my position.

Do MY job for a week. I freaking dare you.

Fry's for life?

Former Employee - Hourly Manager  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Hourly Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Fry's Food full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you have been around longer than the APC you can make ok money and have good insurance.

Cons

Unless you will work yourself to no end day and night weeks without a day off you can pretty much kiss any sort of thanks or reward. In my 12 years with them I moved up more than once always got praise and and all the pats on the back. After I got divorced and didnt need to make as much money as I did before I kind of took a break from being the go to guy or Mr. Fix it if you will. Thats where it started, write ups for things my employees did or didnt do on y days off thats right I was written up for something that didnt get done while I was off. to the point that now I lost my job so...

Dont ask for what you are not willing to pay back. as in Dont ask me to come work $am to 8pm then write me up because i was 7 minutes late the next day because of a car wreck you know I drive 35 miles one way to work it happens every now and again

I was a cashier and liked my ob.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Buckeye, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Buckeye, AZ

I worked at Fry's Food part-time for less than a year

Pros

I got a lot of hour's

Cons

The pay rate was not good

Low ethics. Too large, remote and out of touch.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a job (if you need one).

Cons

Fry's used to be a local company. 5-6 years after Kroger bought them it's a *train wreck.* Kroger is too large and distant. Management is top-heavy. From that army of office workers in Ohio come ridiculous, time-wasting programs every week. Most everyone at the store level is just trying to survive. There is no effort to actually fix things. Just dance whatever dance Ohio's army of office workers have demanded.

Store management: Speak to authority. Stop groveling just hoping someone in the corporate office will recognize you.

Don't do the bosses any favors. They aren't in a position to return them.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Fry's Food part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Little need to worry about losing your job as long as you are friendly and safe. They do offer benefits and you can easily hop from one department to he next. You can have fun and coworkers (at least in my store) act like family.

Cons

They no longer provide hours for training. Starting management wages seem to be going down while workload has increased. The outside management asks that you to do much more work than is humanly possible in an 8 hour day, knowing (my assumption) that you'll get less than that done. What you are left with is a kind of guilt, feelings of failure etc. They want you to seek their approval even when your body is broken and you sincerely tried. I stopped trying to become a manager when I realized their "core values" are b.s. and being honest and having integrity in the face of district management can get you in trouble! It's sad really. Lastly, hard work isn't recognized and no raises are given because the ones who could do such a thing are moved to new stores before they have a chance to know you. You get paid based on how long you have been employed and that's that.

Stop trying to be like Walmart if you really care about customer service. Great service is the one thing we got (people do actually care about that). Cutting hours puts stress on employees and the fake smile can only last so long. Also, I don't know who the buyer is for the grocery and general merchandise, but he/she must be getting great baseball seats or something, because they give in to buying some real crap in bulk sometimes. I don't need 60 bottles of sterling cabernet. I'm still sitting on the last 48 you sent me in may. Look at the numbers. Ain't nobody got time for that. Ain't nobody need 8 shippers of chipmates cookies. Ain't nobody need 24 pallets of water all at once.

Worked for Fry's Food? Contribute to the Community!