Fuel Tech Reviews

Douglas G. Bailey

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fuel Tech has the experience and the reputation to deliver quality pollution control systems.A small company that can provide the experience to new project managers in pollution control technology in the heavy industry for coal fired boilers generation and industrial environments. Equipment like SNCRs, ESP, LNB, etc encompasses the core. They provide tools to be successful. It will be up to you to plan and develop a successful project. Career development is a plus where they will make sure that you are advancing in your careers with technical licenses and professional certification that help you do your job the best you can. Good communication is something that everyone can benefit from and is emphasized here.

Cons

The pollution control technology environment is an up and down cycle that provides uncertainty to the industry. Large capital projects are starting to become rare but hopefully will turn around with regulations.

Protect your resources as I believe they are the reason Fuel Tech can deliver the quality product that the company's reputation and experience is known for.

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Warrenville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrenville, IL

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None. I can't think of one "pro" when I worked for this company. There is a lot of whispering and out of office communication. There is no teamwork or unity anywhere in this company. If you are a people person, do not work here.

Cons

No one is in charge. Constant stress with an HR department trying to promote themselves with disregard for those not in a position to defend themselves; the mentality is that "HR is the sheriff and can break the rules because no one is above them". Very strange and horrible company.

Pretty good smaller company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Batavia, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Batavia, IL

I worked at Fuel Tech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I think it's a pretty good business model, with a lot of upside. Smallish size means you had the opportunity to interact personally with senior mgmt. Relaxed environment, company picnic once a year, etc. You just have to decide if the career track is for you. For me, I had more luck since moving on.

Cons

Smaller company; opportunities for advancement were therefore pretty limited. Your experience depended on the personalities of your immediate superior (obviously). I was lucky in that regard, to work with good people. Also, I was quite junior (my first job) so what did I know about advancement?

I will say that the pay, for me, was OK, but not the greatest, and I've found much better compensation packages since I've moved on. Your mileage may vary, but I did hear stories about a few coworkers (one of whom left) who were definitely underpaid.

Also my stock option grant was virtually worthless after I left, which put a bad taste in my mouth.

Also, if you are young, there was not much chance to interact with coworkers after work for drinks, and so on, most workers were older and had family obligations. For a social scene, and meeting people (not the point of a job, I know, but this does go to work/life balance), I had a better experience once I moved downtown.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Avoid this place unless you want to be beat down

Current Employee - Project Engineer  in  Batavia, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Batavia, IL

I have been working at Fuel Tech

Pros

The travel opportunities to see the world are great. Being able to work unsupervised is a real plus too. If you work for Sales or Process you will be paid well and taken care of, you will get anything you need or want even if it is unwarranted.

Cons

The personalities at the top of the org chart makes one think of going postal. The flat-out lies by the CEO to the employees when he came on board should get him fired. The lack of respect given to the employees is a shamefull fact of working here. It did not used to be this way but with the managmeent that has come in here the last couple years it is a fact of life now.

Learn how to manage intelligent people properly. Be honest with us!

Where incompetent people go to retire!

I have been working at Fuel Tech

Pros

For the most part, we are able to work with minimal supervision. If you need time off, it is never an issue so they are very flexible in that sense. Most of the people are great to work with.

Cons

Communication is horrible. The senior management is in their own little world and very disconnected with the workers. They are too busy back stabbing each other to pay attention to really doing their own jobs and helping the people who report to them. There is no direction from management and therefore no recognition when you go above and beyond. There is no thought to promoting from within. Most of the V.P. level and up need to be chopped and start over before this company will be able to be on a the right track which is apparent by our ever falling stock price. Too many cliques among management to be effective. It is very hard to get fired so incompetent people are all over. Newer employees (past 2 years or so) are overpaid and at the top of the list for the incompetent people! Funny, they all seem to be friends from previous jobs!

Stop fighting with each other and focus on the company itself. There are a lot of very good people who will leave as soon as the economy improves if they don't get their act together!

Worked for Fuel Tech? Contribute to the Community!