Fujitsu Network Communications

Reset
3.4
Fujitsu Network Communications President & CEO Makoto Hamada
Makoto Hamada

Pros
  • Good work / life balance, nice vacation policy (in 6 reviews)

• a very nice working environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most decisions are made in a reactionary mode rather than anticipating outcomes and working to maximize the best result (in 3 reviews)

• Capex spending by major US carriers impact FNC business (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good work life balance- nice smart people to work with

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time

Pros

Work life balance. Onsite gym. Good solid people working. many have been there a long time. Company has been implementing positive culture changes across company. Most management is pretty open and shares good and bad of what is going on.

Cons

There is some wait for action since our parent company is Japan. Since people have been there long time little movement to new positions.

Fujitsu Network Communications Response

Jul 2, 2015 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review. We always strive to be a transparent company and we are pleased to hear that you feel the same way about FNC.

Working at FNC

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications

Pros

- The company provides Good work environment and has Good salary and benefits - People working in the company are intelligent and very professional - Working there was a good experience as there was a good work and family life balance

Cons

- the upper management doesnot provide a very good direction in terms of the future plans for the company as well as for the future growth if individuals - working with old technology

Optical Engineer

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time

Pros

Good salary, working time is flexible, good mentor to guide you, offers opportunities to grow, encouraging innovation and efficiency, people are nice and willing to help.

Cons

not too many activities organized by company, not providing enough training for employees, not in headquarter which gives some limitations.

Advice to Management

Provide more training opportunities to employees. Encourage design in house and promote projects that can give good future business value.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working at FNC has been a great experience. The culture is changing and there is more transparency in the company then when I began. There is a lot of opportunity currently to move up and take on more responsibilities. I think that Senior Management has done a great job of transforming the culture. The work/life balance at FNC is excellent. It appears to be that way in most departments from the people that I talk to.

Cons

The business is currently stagnant. The future of the company and their profits is relying on new ventures in solutions and services. The future of the company isn't 100% certain. This really isn't too much of "con" because this type of risk is what it will take to break out of the stagnation.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you've been doing to improve the culture of the company.

Current high star reviews are written by HR members, dont believe the hype

Current Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Richardson, TX

Pros

Nice Campus Easy to get to Cafe on campus Gym on campus People are some what friendly New culture is working hard to try and change minds

Cons

All decision making comes from japan so things are slow going Development cycles are long and tedious To much work gets sent to India Our work/code over the years needs to be repaired, not as sleek as it use to be Older work force does not want to change or accept the new methods, they become giant roadblocks A lot of the older managers do not understand what is going on around them Since the company is so flat there is no where to go

Advice to Management

To all the people reading these reviews first look at the items below, they are obviously written by members of the HR department, all perfect stars and glowing reviews. Also you will notice that HR is finally using Glassdoor, before they had a policy not to even acknowledge it but it appears that has changed and they are actively responding to posts and changing content. To management, please don't try to white wash what is going on here at FNC. We had two big lay offs both within the last 3 years and our future is looking questionable. That needs to be addressed with employees, they need to know and understand just how things are laid out and that we are dependent on everyone doing their share to make us great again.

If you're up for a challenge, Fujitsu Network Communications there are plenty of them here...

Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time

Pros

I do mean "challenge" in a positive sense. The most important thing to know is that FNC is putting its best and brightest into a wholehearted effort to renew its leadership and mindshare in a formerly stodgy but now rapidly changing industry (communications networks/telecom). There are many opportunities for technical people to innovate in a climate like this; the old, unionized, regulated, rigid world of telecommunications is breaking down and becoming more and more like the data center/IT environment. The company has begun a two-pronged transformation over the past two years; we are working as an organization to reshape both our culture and our capabilities/offerings. Over this time, the workplace environment and the ways in which we interact with each other, as well as the quality and relevance of information exchange, have all improved dramatically. I work closely with several of the company's leaders and believe them to be sincere in their desire for culture change. In several instances, all-company messages from executives have been courageously honest and straightforward, which to me signals respect. That's refreshing in Corporate America. If you're the kind of person who loves to be in the middle of massive change, who relishes the idea of being part of an exhilarating, risky, but ultimately successful corporate metamorphosis, you'll find this a rewarding place to work. FNC needs innovative, diverse, energetic people. It's my ambition to be among those who take part in revitalizing this company and moving it forward into a new period of growth. I believe it's possible even if it won't be easy. I should say, as have others here, that work/life balance and pay/vacation/benefits are good here and although there aren't abundant middle management ranks to move into (the company has relatively few management levels), there is room to grow your expertise and career. It's a better place to be an individual contributor than average; you don't have to be "promoted to management" to feel like you're getting somewhere.

Cons

Things sometimes get chaotic here in terms of collaboration and communication, so it can be hard to get the information and support you need. Many if not most of the key people are very overworked and that can make deadlines and dependencies hard to manage. Because there is an overall "git 'er dun" attitude here, sometimes people overstep the boundaries of their job function and intervene outside of their expertise. Things like review cycles and planning are sometimes challenging because of shifting priorities and general overload. Interactions between FNC and its corporate parent can be challenging and mysterious at times.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the positive change momentum. Remember that the employees DO listen and DO care what you say. Try to look below the surface of what you see "from above" because sometimes things - and employees - ain't what they seem to be from the top. A sizable minority of people here are adept at "managing up," hogging credit, and jockeying for position. An even bigger minority are unsung heroes who have much untapped value to offer given the chance. Oh and read more Dilbert.

Management Change needed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

very good engineers to work with, some good line managers to work with, flex time, pay is good,

Cons

poor project planing, too many silos, not cohesive at executive management, too many politics,

Advice to Management

start working together and making decisions for the benefit of the company

Development Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Leading Edge Technologies, deep talent pool.

Cons

1990's development methodologies, risk averse, autocratic management

Advice to Management

The status quo is inhibiting quicker, cheaper, cleaner product development. Need to upgrade the development management maturity model.

Best work environment

Current Employee - Test Engineer II in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Test Engineer II in Richardson, TX

Pros

There is a lot of potential for growth when you work in FNC. The managers go all the way in to help you improve technically and personally. The telecom industry is going through a lot of change now. FNC makes sure its employees are well equipped for whats coming. The salary is great. There is portals here where you can post your ideas and they get noticed and implemented. You will be recognized for all the hard work you put in. All the people I work with here are encouraging. I am excited to get to work every day morning(even on Monday!! ;))

Cons

Till now I have not experienced anything bad working here.

Decent employer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Fujitsu Network Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some extremely talented people. Relaxed work environment much of the time. Very good benefits.

Cons

Staffing and workload in some groups are a problem. Sometimes emphasis is on quantity over quality, which is a shame for a company with Fujitsu's history for producing quality products. Some managers perhaps need more oversight into how they are managing their people.

Advice to Management

Listen and learn. Ask questions. Don't assume you know what's best or what's possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed