Fulcrum Capital

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014
3.3

CEO

Great start to my career!

Former Employee - Junior Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Junior Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Fulcrum Capital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I joined Fulcrum right after finishing my undergraduate degree in Finance from the University of Texas at
    Austin in 2009. Prior to joining full-time, I also had the opportunity to intern with them for a year.
    Working with a growing firm, such as Fulcrum, provided me with many opportunities which I would
    usually not be exposed to if I worked in a bigger firm. I was able to interact with the Principals and Head
    Traders on a daily basis which taught me a lot about the distressed debt industry. I also learned a great
    deal about the bankruptcy process, debt structures of various companies, and the various intricacies of
    initiating and closing trades. Fulcrum would be an ideal incubator for someone interested in trading
    distressed debt or learning bankruptcy law.

Working in a trading environment implied that the hours were predictable which provided me with a
    good work-life balance. The work culture at Fulcrum is laid back with very friendly and smart colleagues
    from various facets of the finance and legal industry. During my tenure, Fulcrum assisted me in
    continuing my education by sponsoring my CFA exams. The firm also promotes diversity and equal
    opportunity as they assisted me in obtaining my work permit to work in the US.

Cons

Given that Fulcrum is a boutique firm the opportunities for advancement or more limited than bigger firms.

Keep creating a solid culture and interesting work.

Small Firm in Rare Space

Current Employee - ADMINISTRATION/OPERATIONS in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - ADMINISTRATION/OPERATIONS in Austin, TX

I have been working at Fulcrum Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is good and there is a great sense of work-life balance, especially for a trade desk. Being a small firm, there are ample opportunities to take on significant responsibility and make an impact. Furthermore, the desk runs as a team. Everyone is critical to the firm's success and therefore everyone is encouraging and wants to see you succeed. The space, distressed financial obligations, is interesting and something that not many have the chance to encounter in their career.

Cons

​While there are positives with being a small firm so too are there negatives. ​1) When key personnel is out it can be difficult to maintain momentum on trades. 2) Career advancement is not as clear cut as it would be in a large firm and advancement opportunities are limited. [Note: The company is copacetic to creating positions/opportunities if it is a fit for both parties, it just takes more initiative from the employee and is the exception, not the standard.] 3) There is a lack of diversity that a larger firm might have.

Disappointing experience from the start

Former Employee - Vice President
    Former Employee - Vice President

I worked at Fulcrum Capital full-time

Pros

There is a good work life balance
    The job is easy but not very mentally challenging

Cons

The job might as well be a sales job in a call centre as the amount of calls is a KPI
    There is a clock watching culture and no transparency. The partners have no ethics For instance they go through employees' personal emails, they are abusive towards employees and deceive to both employees and clients

Stop posing as a hedge fund as Fulcrum is just a small time brokerage
    Be honest and treat staff with some dignity so that you can have some credibility in the market