Full Sail University Reviews

1. Course Director for Mobile Development

Current Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University

Pros

This Job provides flexible work hours for Course Directors.

Cons

For a developer the pay is a little less than the industry.

2. Great company culture

Former Employee - Clerk in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Clerk in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

modern amenities
    not a conservative corporation
    good benefits

Cons

twenty four seven hour school
    pay
    progression is slow

Advice to Management

continue the great work

3. Fun atmosphere for the environment

Current Employee - Student Liaison in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Student Liaison in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. People actually smile with you as you walk around the campus and you can feel the "family hug" environment. Direct management in my department is extremely understanding and works with you throughout life events/other factors that may come up. Full Sail is the only organization that I have worked for that gives specific holiday perks such as time off and dedicated "employee celebrations".

Cons

Advancement can be temperamental and the compensation off-sided depending on the department.

Advice to Management

More competitive pay structures and not be so micro-managing with the departments that you work the hardest.

5. Depends on Your Department

Former Employee - Online Admissions Guide in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Online Admissions Guide in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment is really unlike anything else. I met some of the best people in the world there. Not a typical office world, we try to have fun and everyone is a bit more off beat. The school itself is fantastic, and you can get reduced tuition as an employee.

Cons

Unfair wages in the admissions department. They split admissions into 2 departments doing the exact same job. One department gets paid a small hourly wage, the other has huge salaries that more than double the yearly amount for the other team, that happens to be more successful. It makes no sense and is really a terrible system when the workers can literally see people across the hall making more money, getting worse results.
    I can't speak for any other department, but Online Admissions has a leader that keeps making bad decisions that completely crush the team morale. A few years ago it was a really fun place to be, and now it is soul crushing.

Advice to Management

Show your employees respect. They work hard and are the backbone of the school. Pay more for your outstanding employees and they will pay you back in hard work that pays back your investment. It is such a simple concept and yet, so few companies understand it..

6. Okay, lots of politics

Former Employee - Department Coordinator in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Department Coordinator in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun, creative, free work environment, no drug testing

Cons

Not a lot of movement, room for advancement

Advice to Management

Not enough processes in place or places to get answers

Downhill

Former Employee - Lab Specialist & Course Director in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Lab Specialist & Course Director in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not many pros anymore, since most of the entertainment industry work has left the state of Florida. The music biz is centered around LA, Nashville, NY and Atlanta. The film biz has moved to Georgia, Louisiana and still in CA. Why would anyone stay in Orlando (Winter Park), when you can go to the same school right in Hollywood (LA Film School)???

Cons

There are many cons, but one of the worse is the school's ability to pass failing students on from month to month. The main reason is that the instructors/course director do not want to deal with these "bad" students, so they are very lenient by giving them "joke assignments", so that they can "adjust their grades" and then that the student will pass the course. The students don't care, since this procedure will have them pass the failing course. Honestly, many of the students do not belong there, and the only reason that they are accepted because they have acquired loans or military fin aid.

Advice to Management

Have upper management get back into the class room and teach the students. Most of them do not even know the student and yet someone are shaping their futures. Some of the management hasn't stepped foot in a classroom for over a decade. Many of them make bogus excuses like "i'm too busy". Maybe a course in time management should be in the agenda.

8. Re-consider Full Sail University

Current Employee - Lab Specialist in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Lab Specialist in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The technology is very advanced and the campus is renovated frequently.

Cons

The staff is very rude across the board. From the teachers to the administrative staff expect over entitled pompous under professionals.

Advice to Management

Students should be treated as customers paying for a service not peasants begging for a chance. Lose the attitude and gain some humility. Full Sail has a bad reputation in central Florida for creating arrogant "know it all" students. News flash they got it from the instructors.

9. Game Audio Internship - Post Graduate

Former Intern - Game Audio in Winter Park, FL
    Former Intern - Game Audio in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Will provide you with some game credits necessary for relevant work experience, comfortable and friendly environment, very helpful staff, freedom to set your own schedule.

Cons

Gaining access to the upstairs area can be a hassle, art design team no longer works there so game art is lacking, development teams can be unorganized with their work.

Advice to Management

Rehire dedicated artists to work in the game department in order to create more presentable games, fix I.D issues in order to grant interns better access to the building.

10. Great people, great, inclusive place to work.

Former Employee - Lab Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lab Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

There will definitely be a wealth of knowledge among colleagues. No matter what question you have, you will always find someone who knows what they are doing who can help you. The facilities are great, clean, high tech, but additions like the bamboo garden and landscaping lend themselves to a great environment. It is also high energy, which I love. You will find that in not just the students, but a lot of the faculty too seems to be able to hold onto a youthful exuberance. Little to no micro management and work on outside projects i.e. freelance is encouraged. Oh, and Garry Jones is a great guy, may be the best boss you'll ever have.

Cons

Hours are unstable, as the place is open 24 hours, and classes change each month. In addition, the scheduling dept. is probably the worst staff around, as often there would be two events or meetings or classes for you set at different places at the same time. The status of new people and people who have already left may get confused and correspondence is slow. It is also loud, again because of the facility being open 24 hours, you never know what will be happening around the corner.

Advice to Management

Either hire more scheduling staff to keep up with the demand, or change the system. The company is always seeking to expand, but sometimes that doesn't always seem like the best idea consider the surroundings.

11. Definitely a place for career advancement if you can get past the 9 month call center probationary period.

Former Employee - Receptionist in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was sometimes a fun place to work. Sometimes you could go to movie screenings, music events and even see famous people. You could see the excitement in potential student's eyes which made the job worthwhile. The vacation week was a huge bonus! If you are willing to stick it out and know the right people you can definitely advance your career.

Cons

I felt like the "receptionist" staff were treated inferior to the rest of the staff. We had to take tests to recognize upper management so we could greet them when we saw them. When I initially took this job, I thought I was going to be a Receptionist because that is what the job description said, but I soon found out that I would be answering and directing calls to other staff. I didn't do much Receptionist work at all. I performed call center duties that were taped and listened by upper management. I left because I felt that potential students were given the wrong impression of this school. The tuition was super expensive and there was no chance of making it in their choice career path. I think maybe 10% of graduates actually made it in their chosen fields. I felt dishonest working for a company like this.

Full Sail University Photos