Full Sail University

Updated January 13, 2015
3.8

Full Sail University President Garry Jones
Garry Jones

Pros
  • Not to mention the work environment is very stress-free (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, considerate management, fun and interesting environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Major: Upper management doesn't listen to or value their people (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is low and the cubicles are small (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

They definitely take care of you.

Current Employee - Enrollment Guide in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Guide in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of perks, Gift Days during the Holidays, up to 50% off tuition

Cons

High Tuition rate, Not enough interaction with students

A Great 5 Year Plan

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great entry-level positions without a lot of room for growth if you network. Generally positive and creative work environment.

Cons

After about 5 years you hit a ceiling, once you reach management position it's hard to increase your salary but you will take on more work without an increase. They really know how to work people to the bone.

I would advise more progressive management hiring practices outside of nepotism, mutual friendship, etc. Who are the producers and who actually manage well?

The people at Full Sail University are passionate and believe if the founder's mission: giver every student a chance.

Current Employee - Administration in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Administration in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The faculty and staff are there for the students, sometimes with tough love.... The few VPs and below that I have had the privilege to know are what makes this institution so impressive.

Cons

The executive management are not as communicative as necessary in difficult times. The vision for the company is dictated in an "as we go" style that can create insecurity in the employees in regard to job security, direction, and future.

Management is a difficult endeavor which involves high stress levels that increase with the magnitude of a decision's impact.

I love it!

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Growth, Freedom and Enjoyable

Cons

There are no cons so far.

Good Teaching Experience

Former Employee - Studio Artist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Studio Artist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent Co-Workers.
    Ability to work on side projects (unrelated to job tasks) - some management even pushed workers to do this.
    Every once and a while, you get a student that REALLY tries - best feeling in the world.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement.
    Most of the students don't try very hard.
    Some of the students try not to try, and often take other students down with them - worst feeling in the world.

Work study position

Former Employee - Work Study Film in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Work Study Film in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are able to get a work study position helping in labs it is great and if you take the time to get to know the instructors you can learn alot

Cons

Being a 24 hour school you work all night sometimes but it's just like most of the industries

Don't mess with the work study program

Great company culture!

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with and there is low turnover.

Cons

Typical issues with redundancies & out dated business practices.

Streamline HR procedures and pay attention to employee feedback.

Good people and good company, not so good education philosophy.

Former Employee - Lab Specialist in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Lab Specialist in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good education in the creative fields fast. Not cheap or easy. But fast.

Cons

Teachers and specialist are thought of as important, but treated as furniture.
    Underpaid, overworked, 4 four lectures each day, and four hour labs, Sometimes with no breaks. School operates 24/7/365.

Try to think of the students and teachers as people with feelings.

Great on paper

Former Employee - Coordinator in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great university with tremendous potential. Very open to creative thinking and brand development. Great, young staff with a lot of visible passion for the work and the students.

Cons

Difficult finding room to implement ideas. Lack of communication between departments leads to an uncomfortable inability to carry out objectives. Meetings ended optomistic only to find that the reality of most of what was discussed was unable to be put together - fairly misleading overall.

Hold more inter-department meetings and allow for much more collaboration on events and projects.

Great Place With Some Flaws, Sure, But What Place Doesn't?

Current Employee - Associate Course Director in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Associate Course Director in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I came to Full Sail with a bit of distrust. I needed a full-time teaching job, so accepting a position at a for-profit school felt like a Faustian bargain. I am happy to report that Full Sail is a pretty terrific place, and the department I teach in is serious, rigorous, and committed to faculty development (both personal and professional). Yes, there are small issues. Because Full Sail is open enrollment, as an instructor you sometimes wish you could tell a student who clearly cannot handle the work to run for the hills and save 60 grand. To be fair, Full Sail is not a diploma mill. Other for-profits give for-profits like Full Sail a bad name by association. Our department fails students regularly; it has integrity. FS has made some recent improvements, such as booting out students who do not make it through their very first course. It's not perfect, and, yes, it's sad to see so many "lost" students getting into debt for a degree that has value but only limited value (if you decide that you do not want to work in the entertainment industry, your FS education is largely worthless), but we have lots of talented students, too, who, when they do the work and thrive definitely find an entry-level opening into their career fields. Compensation is decent considering that Orlando has fairly low cost of living.

Cons

The president is genuine and friendly, but there are a lot of corporate types here. Orientation was very much like a corporate function: lots of rah-rah about the school, lots of motivational speeches, lots of emphasis on "synergy" and other BS terms from the corporate world. Really, I thought that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. Then I went to work for my department and found that it was much more serious and even academic, much like any department at the college level.

Keep being more rigorous. I realize that the school is open enrollment, but unlike other open admissions institutions (such as community colleges), Full Sail provides a degree with very singular and limited value, which is great for those students who know what they want and have the skill/talent to get there, but not so great with the many students who clearly should be spending their money in better ways.

Full Sail University Photos