Full Sail University

Updated February 22, 2015
3.9

Full Sail University President Garry Jones
Garry Jones

Pros
  • Not to mention the work environment is very stress-free (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, considerate management, fun and interesting environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Major: Upper management doesn't listen to or value their people (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is low and the cubicles are small (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

87 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Game Audio Internship - Post Graduate

Former Intern - Game Audio in Winter Park, FL
    Former Intern - Game Audio in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Will provide you with some game credits necessary for relevant work experience, comfortable and friendly environment, very helpful staff, freedom to set your own schedule.

Cons

Gaining access to the upstairs area can be a hassle, art design team no longer works there so game art is lacking, development teams can be unorganized with their work.

Rehire dedicated artists to work in the game department in order to create more presentable games, fix I.D issues in order to grant interns better access to the building.

Great people, great, inclusive place to work.

Former Employee - Lab Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lab Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

There will definitely be a wealth of knowledge among colleagues. No matter what question you have, you will always find someone who knows what they are doing who can help you. The facilities are great, clean, high tech, but additions like the bamboo garden and landscaping lend themselves to a great environment. It is also high energy, which I love. You will find that in not just the students, but a lot of the faculty too seems to be able to hold onto a youthful exuberance. Little to no micro management and work on outside projects i.e. freelance is encouraged. Oh, and Garry Jones is a great guy, may be the best boss you'll ever have.

Cons

Hours are unstable, as the place is open 24 hours, and classes change each month. In addition, the scheduling dept. is probably the worst staff around, as often there would be two events or meetings or classes for you set at different places at the same time. The status of new people and people who have already left may get confused and correspondence is slow. It is also loud, again because of the facility being open 24 hours, you never know what will be happening around the corner.

Either hire more scheduling staff to keep up with the demand, or change the system. The company is always seeking to expand, but sometimes that doesn't always seem like the best idea consider the surroundings.

Definitely a place for career advancement if you can get past the 9 month call center probationary period.

Former Employee - Receptionist in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was sometimes a fun place to work. Sometimes you could go to movie screenings, music events and even see famous people. You could see the excitement in potential student's eyes which made the job worthwhile. The vacation week was a huge bonus! If you are willing to stick it out and know the right people you can definitely advance your career.

Cons

I felt like the "receptionist" staff were treated inferior to the rest of the staff. We had to take tests to recognize upper management so we could greet them when we saw them. When I initially took this job, I thought I was going to be a Receptionist because that is what the job description said, but I soon found out that I would be answering and directing calls to other staff. I didn't do much Receptionist work at all. I performed call center duties that were taped and listened by upper management. I left because I felt that potential students were given the wrong impression of this school. The tuition was super expensive and there was no chance of making it in their choice career path. I think maybe 10% of graduates actually made it in their chosen fields. I felt dishonest working for a company like this.

great work place

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

the pay is amazing and you get great benefits. The team is really cool to work with too

Cons

team sometimes gets confusing by being switched too much.

Should not switch management too much

Mediocre at best

I worked at Full Sail University full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great people. They love the students and their dreams. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Admissions Representative is a fancy word for Sales Associate, It feels like smoke and mirrors. The school is a business and its all about the bottom line which is fine, but communicate that. Must work 2 weekends a month. No sales Incentive to sell more, but you must hit crazy numbers regardless.

A sales job is a sales job. Call it like it is.

They definitely take care of you.

Current Employee - Enrollment Guide in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Enrollment Guide in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of perks, Gift Days during the Holidays, up to 50% off tuition

Cons

High Tuition rate, Not enough interaction with students

A Great 5 Year Plan

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great entry-level positions without a lot of room for growth if you network. Generally positive and creative work environment.

Cons

After about 5 years you hit a ceiling, once you reach management position it's hard to increase your salary but you will take on more work without an increase. They really know how to work people to the bone.

I would advise more progressive management hiring practices outside of nepotism, mutual friendship, etc. Who are the producers and who actually manage well?

I love it!

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, Growth, Freedom and Enjoyable

Cons

There are no cons so far.

The people at Full Sail University are passionate and believe if the founder's mission: giver every student a chance.

Current Employee - Administration in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Administration in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The faculty and staff are there for the students, sometimes with tough love.... The few VPs and below that I have had the privilege to know are what makes this institution so impressive.

Cons

The executive management are not as communicative as necessary in difficult times. The vision for the company is dictated in an "as we go" style that can create insecurity in the employees in regard to job security, direction, and future.

Management is a difficult endeavor which involves high stress levels that increase with the magnitude of a decision's impact.

Good Teaching Experience

Former Employee - Studio Artist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Studio Artist in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent Co-Workers.
    Ability to work on side projects (unrelated to job tasks) - some management even pushed workers to do this.
    Every once and a while, you get a student that REALLY tries - best feeling in the world.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunity for advancement.
    Most of the students don't try very hard.
    Some of the students try not to try, and often take other students down with them - worst feeling in the world.

Full Sail University Photos