Full Sail University

Updated October 19, 2014
3.8

Full Sail University President Garry Jones
Garry Jones

Pros
  • Not to mention the work environment is very stress-free (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, considerate management, fun and interesting environment (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Major: Upper management doesn't listen to or value their people (in 8 reviews)

• The pay is low and the cubicles are small (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoyed my time at Full Sail, and I had amazing team members around me.

Current Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love the fact that you have freedom to experiment with production techniques and the ability to try new learning procedures. The University encourages innovation!

Cons

My direct leadership (Program Director) is a challenge to work with. Certain leaders let emotions dictate over their decision making process. The direct leadership have really negatively changed the enjoyable cultural environment, that had been the norm for over a decade.

The compensation of pay was not equal to the amount of administrative frustration one has to deal with.

The University should revisit the pay structure for many of the staff members. One of the main reasons for many of the talented instructors leaving the University, was it lacked in balanced financial compensation.

Awesome Place

Current Employee - Lab Instructor in Winter Park, FL
    Current Employee - Lab Instructor in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people to work with. I get something out of my job when I see students learn. Great Benefits, vacation, overtime, christmas party. Great Networking. There's no other place like it!

Cons

Parking can be difficult at times, unless you get here more than 15 min early.

It was a great learning experience of the 3D gaming industry and real world skills.

Former Employee - Motion Capture in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Motion Capture in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

It was a great place to grow as an Artist and work with teachers that have been in the game industry.

Cons

The class schedules change month to month from 1am to 5am back to 8am to 5pm.

Yay for creative freedom!

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The position was very flexible, and worked around my school schedule. I had a lot of creative freedom while still having excellent art direction.

Cons

None. I really enjoyed working there.

No advice.

Mixed feelings about FS.

Current Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are mostly friendly.
    Job security is pretty high (so far).
    Low stress environment (depends on your position).
    Plenty of vacation time as long as you take it according to the student breaks (winter, spring, summer break).

Cons

Any and all students are accepted. No standards for entry are present. Online students are the worst, some can barely read or write. They are simply not ready / prepared to make a serious attempt at higher education.
    Students feel entitled to a good / passing grade because they paid a high price for the class...
    The classes are only 4 weeks which does not allow for the subject material to be fully explored and practiced.
    Upper management only cares about bottom line dollar amounts.
    Upper management reduces the quality / challenge of courses so more students can pass.
    This is first and foremost a business and not a school.

If you want the "Industry" to respect the degree and value the skills of the students, increase the standards for entry and prevent passing students who cannot handle the subject material.

Good people. Good environment.

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are looking for a comfortable place to work with people who you generally enjoy, then this is the place to be.

Cons

Pay is low. Benefits are below average. Tuition reimbursement is far less than a normal college.

Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Online Admissions Representative in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Online Admissions Representative in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay but not the best, pay structure before was way better before all of the changes, not a call center type of environment, really good people that i worked with, cool people from the entertainment industry come to the school from time to time, not that these people went to the school, they are just there to try to make the school look good, if you are going to work in admissions, this would be the only place i would do it in orlando.

Cons

New management in admissions, dont promote from within, you only get promoted or high level positions if you are related to the high level people already there, school want you to be a sales person without the benefits of a sales salary, everything about the school is really is hush hush, not sure if there industry employment percentages are actually true, school has a really bad reputation, not sure how much of everything that is talked about is true, costs of programs area extremely high, its hard to sell a $100,000 dream to students and parents.

Promote from within, it's not cool to bring all new people in from outside into management roles that have no clue whats going on in education.

Great work culture but it's all about POLITICS

Former Employee - Designated School Official in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Designated School Official in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of my favorite things about working here was the "down-to-earth" culture. Most employees were great to work with and the students are very passionate; making it very fulfilling to help them achiever their educational goals.

Cons

Management is terrible. Very corporate-like environment where it's all about numbers. Management is very "clique-ish" which I feel is incredibly inappropriate for a place of business. The workplace shouldn't be a hangout spot. If you aren't part of the clique or can't find a way "in", good luck moving up. Also, pay is embarassing. This school makes A TON OF MONEY. Why aren't employees compensated properly? It's actually quite despicable. Lots of sleeping around with managers/employees, employees/employees.

Stop the cliques. Reward employees who are loyal and excel in their position. Develop the employees with potential or the ones who show that they want to move up into a leadership position.

Flexible, Fun, but political

Former Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent training, flexible schedule, fun environment. There is always something going on around campus that you can be a part of if you have time. Guest speakers are great and you have the opportunity to meet some famous people. Gary Jones is super friendly and listens to anyone (students, faculty, management). You can tell he really cares about the school.

Cons

Promotions are nearly impossible unless you want to play the political game. Most of the senior management either doesn't have kids, or their kids have grown up. You really have to dedicate yourself to the school if you want to advance (after work events are a must). Salary isn't so great and the annual increase, if you're lucky, might be 3%. Different departments have different work schedules, so weekends and/or nights might be, and almost always are required.

I agree with others in that I think online teaching should be open outside of the CFL area. The school focuses the online environment on teaching students to collaborate and work with others online, I don't see why the school should operate differently. Perhaps make it mandatory that online teachers show up once a year for the holiday party and staff kickoff meeting to wrap up the previous year and get ready for the new one. Just an idea.

For the most part, a really groovy place to work, but it is very much dependent upon your position and department.

Current Employee - Course Director in Winter Park, FL

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

In my current position, I enjoy the flexibility. Although I would prefer to earn a higher salary, the flexibility allows me to pursue part-time opportunities on a second job to increase my income. In addition, as a creative type, in a nation where jobs for creative types are smaller than the amount of the population who is creative, Full Sail University has a strong footprint in offering creative type opportunities and alternatives.

Cons

The salary could be higher, but is competitive for the area. Depending on the position or department, some employees have too much work on their plate.

Employees whose jobs exist entirely online do not need to be housed and quartered in Florida. Cut the cord and reuse the real estate for classroom space. Making the online positions juicier will open up the university to attract a premium level of employee, who would otherwise not choose to relocate to Winter Park.

Full Sail University Photos