Full Sail University Reviews

Updated April 16, 2015
135 reviews filtered by

1. So far the best 10 years at any job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Course Director
    Current Employee - Course Director

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great staff and many of the upper management. Some of the most intelligent and well rounded people I've had the pleasure of working with. Always something to learn and many great perks. Vacations and sick time as well as very good benefits. Plan on being hear until I need to retire. Yes, Gary Jones is awesome and a incredibly positive individual. Regardless of what one might think this place is a great place. Yes, I'm biased because I work here but oh well.

Cons

I believe with every job there are always going to be a few things not so perfect. Sometimes it would be great to have more input in policy changes coming from the educators rather than implemented solely by executive branches. It makes more sense when the educators are the ones "in the trenches" trying to help mold minds of our students. Although I solely believe that this school does look at for the best interests of our students they don't always make the best choices especially in changes of certain curriculum changes. Overall, not that much different from any other college in the country.

Advice to Management

Make changes to school policy when they are needed and consult the educators that work with students day in day out. Promote more from within versus outside of the school. Especially those that have put in many years.

2. Game Audio Internship - Post Graduate

Former Intern - Game Audio in Winter Park, FL
    Former Intern - Game Audio in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Will provide you with some game credits necessary for relevant work experience, comfortable and friendly environment, very helpful staff, freedom to set your own schedule.

Cons

Gaining access to the upstairs area can be a hassle, art design team no longer works there so game art is lacking, development teams can be unorganized with their work.

Advice to Management

Rehire dedicated artists to work in the game department in order to create more presentable games, fix I.D issues in order to grant interns better access to the building.

3. Good Company

I have been working at Full Sail University

Pros

It is a Fun atmosphere

Cons

It is mostly Low Pay

Advice to Management

Promote from within

5. My experience has had it's ups and downs.

Current Employee - Admissions
    Current Employee - Admissions

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation time, immediate benefits, extra holiday vacation, rewarding working with students,

Cons

Mobility is hard, cubicals,cronic changes, late hours, weekend work, true fits for the school are pretty hard to come by

Advice to Management

Stop rapidly changing things. Allow changes enough time to see if they truly make a difference. More organization needed

6. Perfect studio to learn HTML

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

HTML, CSS, word-press, custom logos

Cons

Unpaid-internship did not lead into a potential job

7. Great people, great, inclusive place to work.

Former Employee - Lab Instructor in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Lab Instructor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

There will definitely be a wealth of knowledge among colleagues. No matter what question you have, you will always find someone who knows what they are doing who can help you. The facilities are great, clean, high tech, but additions like the bamboo garden and landscaping lend themselves to a great environment. It is also high energy, which I love. You will find that in not just the students, but a lot of the faculty too seems to be able to hold onto a youthful exuberance. Little to no micro management and work on outside projects i.e. freelance is encouraged. Oh, and Garry Jones is a great guy, may be the best boss you'll ever have.

Cons

Hours are unstable, as the place is open 24 hours, and classes change each month. In addition, the scheduling dept. is probably the worst staff around, as often there would be two events or meetings or classes for you set at different places at the same time. The status of new people and people who have already left may get confused and correspondence is slow. It is also loud, again because of the facility being open 24 hours, you never know what will be happening around the corner.

Advice to Management

Either hire more scheduling staff to keep up with the demand, or change the system. The company is always seeking to expand, but sometimes that doesn't always seem like the best idea consider the surroundings.

8. Definitely a place for career advancement if you can get past the 9 month call center probationary period.

Former Employee - Receptionist in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Full Sail University full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It was sometimes a fun place to work. Sometimes you could go to movie screenings, music events and even see famous people. You could see the excitement in potential student's eyes which made the job worthwhile. The vacation week was a huge bonus! If you are willing to stick it out and know the right people you can definitely advance your career.

Cons

I felt like the "receptionist" staff were treated inferior to the rest of the staff. We had to take tests to recognize upper management so we could greet them when we saw them. When I initially took this job, I thought I was going to be a Receptionist because that is what the job description said, but I soon found out that I would be answering and directing calls to other staff. I didn't do much Receptionist work at all. I performed call center duties that were taped and listened by upper management. I left because I felt that potential students were given the wrong impression of this school. The tuition was super expensive and there was no chance of making it in their choice career path. I think maybe 10% of graduates actually made it in their chosen fields. I felt dishonest working for a company like this.

9. Interesting place but....

Current Employee - Financial Aid
    Current Employee - Financial Aid

I have been working at Full Sail University full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work there are wonderful. Granted this place can be like a real life game of thrones at times but that can happen in any work place. There was always an event going on and meetings where usually quite relaxed. Most of the management in my department where happy to make time or set up meetings to discuss any questions you had.

Cons

The amount of sexual harassment I got is quite appalling for a professional environment. I had one manager in particular always trying to get me alone or put his hand on me in some way. Also pay your employees more. I'm not saying a few dollars more I mean the national average of around 35k or higher. Its rather embarrassing that people have worked here for 12 -15 years and are finally making the average of what a regular college professional makes in their first year. Also your insurance is ridiculous, for a family of 4 you would pay 600 a month in insurance, where your salary is only 27k that's about half your paycheck just to insurance. That doesn't include dental or vision which would add another 100 a month. Pretty sad really for a company to do that to its employees.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people in a large meeting, with the entire department, your going to implement a new system that will make them obsolete and then say your not going to do any lay offs only to lay off a good portion of those people the next day. Also when it comes to training for the job don't relay on what your trainers tell you rather look to the staff that have been working there for countless years they know the ropes way better then the trainers.

10. great work place

I worked at Full Sail University

Pros

the pay is amazing and you get great benefits. The team is really cool to work with too

Cons

team sometimes gets confusing by being switched too much.

Advice to Management

Should not switch management too much

Mediocre at best

I worked at Full Sail University full-time

Pros

Co-workers are great people. They love the students and their dreams. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Admissions Representative is a fancy word for Sales Associate, It feels like smoke and mirrors. The school is a business and its all about the bottom line which is fine, but communicate that. Must work 2 weekends a month. No sales Incentive to sell more, but you must hit crazy numbers regardless.

Advice to Management

A sales job is a sales job. Call it like it is.

Full Sail University Photos