Fulton Bank

Craig A. Roda

An Easy Job with lots of growth opoprtunities

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Fulton Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It seems like the company cares about the employees. Very good work life balance, I never find myself taking work or work issues home with me. All of the people I have met at this company are very nice.

Cons

Lower pay than other banks. Company seems to be behind the times, always playing catch up with new technology instead of being ahead of it.

This bank is having an identity crisis and is behind the times

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Fulton Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are sincere want to do their very best - there is very little political garbage here. Intentions are good. They try hard, but with processes that built around smaller banks, it's hard to come up with a lot of pros...

Cons

This bank is having an identity crisis and wrestles with its history as a community bank, but it has a regional presence and big bank regulation! It's principles and mission need updating to reflect the changes but no one in senior management (PA) wants to change (and most of them have never worked at other banks). If you work outside of PA, then your local management will try to keep its own scorecard, while under the watchful eye of PA. The Regulators will have their way with this group. Eventually it will have to come into the 21st century with its strategies to keep pace with regulators and stiff competition. You will work hard and be frustrated with its limited technology, low pay, and cumbersome policies and procedures.

Consider unifying the bank under one name, and one regulator. Consider re-branding without stick figures (looks very elementary and unprofessional).

Positive Summer Job Experience

Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Mortgage Processor in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Fulton Bank as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The coworkers are friendly and very helpful, and management was very understanding if I had a doctor's appointment or problem with my car trying to get to work. It was a great learning experience for me.

Cons

I worked in the mortgage department, so it was a high pressure environment which can be stressful for people. I didn't mind it too much though.

Good overall bank but faulty management

Current Employee - Senior Vice President
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President

I have been working at Fulton Bank full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good people to work with, flexibility, overall good people in the organization

Cons

Lack of proper leadership starting at the top of the organization and filtering down. Reactionary management vs pro-active and strategic thinking.

Create your own path as opposed to reacting to the current environment. Have a big picture mentality and think more than a quarter down the road at a time.

Happy for the experience, but wasn't a good career move.

I worked at Fulton Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move around (sometimes up) within the company, fun people, not high stress, better than average 401k and health benefits.

Cons

If you start at the minimum, you will never make more than the minimum. Do not come here and expect fair raises and promotions. Gain your experience elsewhere then come in and negotiate your pay based on your experience up front. Also, many of the jobs are so specific that the experience will not help you in your future endeavors unless you plan to stay in banking.

Achievement based pay incentives will improve employee morale and weed out some of your complacent employees.

Nice culture, poor compensation, confused management

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at Fulton Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Family environment. Great work/life balance. Failure isn't punished. But success isn't rewarded in a meaningful way. If you are looking to coast in a 9 to 5, this is the place to be. Ideally, if you're this type of person, you want to come to Fulton later in your career to get closer to a market salary.

Cons

If you're ambitious and young, this is not the place for you. Even if you exceed all of your goals and perform better than your older peers, you will never exceed their pay. Bonuses are a joke and you have to go to war at your reviews just to stay within $20k of a very fair market salary.

Most of senior management are also life long employees. I guess that's the reward for sticking through 30 years of being underpaid. The problem with this is that they have a limited perspective and are not strategic thinkers. The result of this lack of leadership results in systems and processes that are inefficient and prohibitive to meeting goals.

Hire consultants to review everything you do.

The Bank does not spend the time and effort to develop new employees.

I worked at Fulton Bank

Pros

Great hours. Very traditional bank.

Cons

Bank does not spend time to develop new employees

Set clear expectations with new employees and listen to their concerns while developing their natural talents.