Furmanite Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
2.8

Charles R. Cox

Furmanite is a great company to work for with operations around the world

I worked at Furmanite for more than 10 years

Pros

Lots of opportunities for professional development

Cons

Worldwide operations can create unique challenges

Being a bully, intimidation is the culture

Former Employee - Management  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Management in Louisville, KY

I worked at Furmanite full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you need the money and have experience they are very competitive in their pay structures. They do try to use the best practices.

Cons

Lack of employee training it's not what you know it's who you know that pays the bills when working for this company. Being bullied by management is the norm.

Train train training is an area of great concern within some of your SDC's. Keep an open mind and ear from the employees who are in the field daily. They see what's going on and can provide the best real-time needs of the company's interests. We talk about the orange code but that's all it is talk. Do as I say not as I do.

Management issues

Former Employee - Sales  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Furmanite full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good technicians, challenging work, High potential furmanite has the ability to become an industry leader. technologies are utilized all throughout industry.

Cons

Management lacks foresite, Managers are HR nightmares. Manager lacks organization. poor judgment in hiring new talent and retaining good talent. Manager not open to communication. they utilize old outdated equipment. management does not plan appropriately to handle job scope. usually results in on the job thinking to get task done.

Trust in more experienced employees. Higher qualified people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Be Fooled

Former Employee - Headquarters Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Headquarters Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Furmanite full-time

Pros

A select few people are really knowledgable at what they do and have a great attitude in spite of the working conditions and morale at the office. Salary is about average with industry standards. The office was a good location for me and has a gym and covered parking. The space itself is new and looks nice.

Cons

-Benefits are subpar including, but not limited to, the 401K plan, health benefits, vacation time
    -Upper management is the biggest downfall at this company
    -The company relocated from Dallas about a year ago and has had extremely high turnover since then to the point where only a handful of people are still there that originally hired on with the move
    -If you are not part of upper management, you are not going to get a bonus or raise (even a cost of living raise)
    -Upper management creates a really negative work environment with the ferocity at which they will fire an employee ( I have seen several people fired in less than 3 months of their start date so don't be fooled by the new office and seemingly positive environment.....chances are you probably won't last)
    -They claim to want to make changes towards progression, but when the time comes to really make these changes they are quickly shut down so that the company can continue to operate like it is 1985
    -A lot of employees at the corporate office seem to know each other from previous employment or be related to one another....in my opinion they should be in fear of an EEOC complaint being filed against them because i have several positions filled that were not posted.

Make some changes in upper management now! Get employee morale back up. Accept and make changes for the better of the company and trust that the employees you are continually hiring have good ideas and experience and want to do well for the company. This is Houston and you need to step up your game because there are a lot of really great employers here that people will go to instead.

International Company With Small Company Values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Furmanite full-time for less than a year

Pros

Management really seems to care about the well being of employees
    Competitive compensation and benefits

Cons

Travel demands
    Technician burn-out
    Long commute to the office from my house

OK Place to work

Current Employee - Concrete Supervisor  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Concrete Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Furmanite

Pros

great hours for the pay check

Cons

very little down time ever

work is dependent on the relationship with customers

Current Employee - Leak Sealing Supervisor  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Leak Sealing Supervisor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Furmanite

Pros

good preks, travel, small work teams or more often individual work assignments

Cons

poor collective knowledge of engineering concepts, lack of consistent technical knowledge for mechanical processes

training is paramount - get everyone on the same page now

Company undergoing change

Former Employee - Regional Sales  in  Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales in Richardson, TX

I worked at Furmanite

Pros

A small company with potential expanding global reach. Excellent technical skills and outstanding personnel. After several years, leadership has refocused on corporate fundamental skills and services. Very accessable senior leadership.

Cons

Recent financial challenges due to market. Many good folks who were hired in the sales force a few years ago have been let go as a result of this.

On a good path again. Fpcus on the fundamentals. Think about getting back into the public sector business with a clean slate - the previous business unit focusing on this was inherited with too many challenges/obsolete practices/ financial factors preventing success.

Not a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Furmanite

Pros

Salary is very competitive. Work location is excellent and the recently relaxed dress code is a welcome change. Many friendly people on staff and usually very helpful.

Cons

Unfortunately upper management in my department is comlpetely devoid of management skill or professional care towards their employees. Upper management in my department firmly believes in a caste society where anyone below them is utterly devoid of notice, regardless of work performance or output. Teams are not expected to work together and quite an adversarial work environment is created. Excellence is not rewarded, neither is sub-par performance noted or counciled.

The employees on my team have the capability of producing EXCELLENT work, but our opinions and expertise is extremely rarely consulted or requested. We have even found accounting discrepencies that are costing our company hundreds of thousands of dollars a year; only to be dismissed out of hand. In some cases the accounting issues are also legal ones, but are ignored.

Employees are treated as if they have no personal lives, and management completely ignores any outside issues such as newborn babies or severe illnesses. Management has no 'heart'. Granted this is not a requirement but it's nice to know in a small company that your bosses care enough to even ask about major personal issues.

Replace my upper management staff with people who care about something other than making themselves look good at the cost of their own employees. Staff in my department were once happy to work there and worked well. But over the last year all of that has faded and almost everyone is looking for other employement. This is a place to avoid.

Disaster.... adult kindergarden

Current Employee - Manager/Technician  in  Rotterdam (Netherlands)
    Current Employee - Manager/Technician in Rotterdam (Netherlands)

I have been working at Furmanite full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

the base has potentials, management sucks

Cons

arrogant senior management
    upper management no social skills
    senior management lack on made promises.
    company with no investment for the last 10 years

invest in people and the business
    listen to customer complaints
    be realistic
    Manage people and listen to them

Worked for Furmanite? Contribute to the Community!