Furniture Brands International

First Job

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Furniture Brands International full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Pay for the training program

Cons

Very disorganized, unprofessional training program

develop a better training program

Poor Upper Management

I worked at Furniture Brands International

Pros

Nice people in individual work groups with strong work ethic.

Cons

Upper Management had poor control of company assets

Worse Company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team of ppl to work with friendly colleagues, friendly family atmoshpere.

Cons

Management doesn't promote within, however they will not give a career path to follow to get what is needed if to get a promotion.

Career path is imperative function of a job, constructive criticism is needed to advance, instead of hiring outsiders.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Thomasville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thomasville, NC

I worked at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people to work with... but that didn't make it a good place to work.

Cons

work load was insane... and kept laying off people to make it even worse

Communicate with the employee's... being kept in the dark is really bad for all employee's

Humbled and honored

I have been working at Furniture Brands International full-time

Pros

Great domestic and import product development

Cons

could not expand on my creativity

Wish you NEW endeavors

Previous Management killed this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lenoir, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lenoir, NC

I have been working at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None, new owners not much better than the old ones

Cons

some people are so well protected by upper management they were moved from division to division before layoffs were announced. senior management has no clue about running a furniture company. Micromanaged to the second by some managers. No training, supposed to learn everything on the fly.

All Directors, VP's and above from previous regime should be fired immediately.

Great Brands, aweful Leadership!

I have been working at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at a non management level are great, helpful and hard working. While most are looking for jobs while they are doing there jobs they still do them to the best of there ability, without leadership or guidance.

Cons

The staff below Upper management care and give it as much as they can and then some. Management all run around not making decisions, new ownership has taken over and some changes have been made but they were upon the recommendations of the people that drove the company under. You have a call center manager that has no educaiton making life changing decisions for people when the only decision she has made successfully was to marry for money. You have a VP of SALES (was president) running sales who wont even talk to the companies cusotmers and then there is his number 2 who cant figure out whose nose to wipe first his or his bosses?

Success starts at the top - so the new CEO wants success he needs to start from teh top and start over!

FBI is a pack of Greedy Corporate Raiders.

Former Employee - Upholster  in  Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - Upholster in Hickory, NC

I worked at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked at Hickory Chair plant 7 in Hickory NC from 1994 to 2002. My coworkers were like family. They were some of the greatest people I have Known. I cherish my memories of them.

Cons

The management of FBI laid off almost half the workforce at Hickory Chair with the implementation of their lean manufacturing philosophy. They took us off production pay, but promised to pay us our averages which was to be reviewed every six months. They were such Bold Faced Liars that they would not listen even when you showed them the production tickets and the math that proved how much you produced.
     They also started treating us as if we were a bunch of criminals in a prison. The upper management had/has no respect for their employees no matter how dedicated and loyal the employee had been.

Get rid of your Greed. Learn what the term Civic Duty means. Looting companies for all you can get isn't it.
    Hickory Chair was once a civic minded company. They understood that employing people and paying them a decent wage was good for the communities. Employees could afford to send their children to college. They could afford homes and they paid taxes that allowed the local governments to make improvements to the communities.

I loved working for Hickory Chair, the family atmosphere was the best I have ever had in a workplace!

Former Employee - Spray Operator  in  Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - Spray Operator in Hickory, NC

I worked at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I liked being able to work at my own pace and knowing that my job was essential and necessary. It was a very friendly place to work and if there were any issues it was always resolved like you would in a tight nit family. I hated to quit but finances took me away, couldn't afford to stay even though I wanted to. I would go back today if there was a job opening for me!

Cons

Supervisors and lead people need to listen to the employees more, we are not dumb we do know our jobs. Casegoods feels as if the upholstery side gets more benefits and listened too more often. No raise in 5 years sucks. Loss of benefits such as doctor on site was the worst to loose.

Give the employees a very good raise, bring back the benefits (all of them) and never let Ralph Scofavazza back in the door, listen to all employees not just part of them.

Thomasville furniture was a great place to work!

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Furniture Brands International full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

At Thomasville, you had the opportunity to be creative and work in both commercial and residential projects. As part of the management team, you had the autonomy to impact your team's sales performance and truly make a difference in your store's growth.

Cons

As they go through these difficult times, it was difficult to get product in a timely manner, which led to high customer frustration.

Don't lose faith! Furniture Brands can get through this if they don't lose sight of what's important - their people and their customers.

Worked for Furniture Brands International? Contribute to the Community!