Furniture Brands International

Add Photos

Furniture Brands International Chairman and CEO Ralph P. Scozzafava

Ralph P. Scozzafava

First Job

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood Pay for the training program

ConsVery disorganized, unprofessional training program

Advice to Senior Managementdevelop a better training program

Poor Upper Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice people in individual work groups with strong work ethic.

ConsUpper Management had poor control of company assets

Worse Company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat team of ppl to work with friendly colleagues, friendly family atmoshpere.

ConsManagement doesn't promote within, however they will not give a career path to follow to get what is needed if to get a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer path is imperative function of a job, constructive criticism is needed to advance, instead of hiring outsiders.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Thomasville, NC

ProsGreat people to work with... but that didn't make it a good place to work.

Conswork load was insane... and kept laying off people to make it even worse

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with the employee's... being kept in the dark is really bad for all employee's

Humbled and honored

ProsGreat domestic and import product development

Conscould not expand on my creativity

Advice to Senior ManagementWish you NEW endeavors

Previous Management killed this company

Lenoir, NC

ProsNone, new owners not much better than the old ones

Conssome people are so well protected by upper management they were moved from division to division before layoffs were announced. senior management has no clue about running a furniture company. Micromanaged to the second by some managers. No training, supposed to learn everything on the fly.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll Directors, VP's and above from previous regime should be fired immediately.

Great Brands, aweful Leadership!

ProsThe people at a non management level are great, helpful and hard working. While most are looking for jobs while they are doing there jobs they still do them to the best of there ability, without leadership or guidance.

ConsThe staff below Upper management care and give it as much as they can and then some. Management all run around not making decisions, new ownership has taken over and some changes have been made but they were upon the recommendations of the people that drove the company under. You have a call center manager that has no educaiton making life changing decisions for people when the only decision she has made successfully was to marry for money. You have a VP of SALES (was president) running sales who wont even talk to the companies cusotmers and then there is his number 2 who cant figure out whose nose to wipe first his or his bosses?

Advice to Senior ManagementSuccess starts at the top - so the new CEO wants success he needs to start from teh top and start over!

FBI is a pack of Greedy Corporate Raiders.

Upholster (Former Employee)
    Hickory, NC

ProsI worked at Hickory Chair plant 7 in Hickory NC from 1994 to 2002. My coworkers were like family. They were some of the greatest people I have Known. I cherish my memories of them.

ConsThe management of FBI laid off almost half the workforce at Hickory Chair with the implementation of their lean manufacturing philosophy. They took us off production pay, but promised to pay us our averages which was to be reviewed every six months. They were such Bold Faced Liars that they would not listen even when you showed them the production tickets and the math that proved how much you produced.
     They also started treating us as if we were a bunch of criminals in a prison. The upper management had/has no respect for their employees no matter how dedicated and loyal the employee had been.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your Greed. Learn what the term Civic Duty means. Looting companies for all you can get isn't it.
    Hickory Chair was once a civic minded company. They understood that employing people and paying them a decent wage was good for the communities. Employees could afford to send their children to college. They could afford homes and they paid taxes that allowed the local governments to make improvements to the communities.

I loved working for Hickory Chair, the family atmosphere was the best I have ever had in a workplace!

Spray Operator (Former Employee)
    Hickory, NC

ProsI liked being able to work at my own pace and knowing that my job was essential and necessary. It was a very friendly place to work and if there were any issues it was always resolved like you would in a tight nit family. I hated to quit but finances took me away, couldn't afford to stay even though I wanted to. I would go back today if there was a job opening for me!

ConsSupervisors and lead people need to listen to the employees more, we are not dumb we do know our jobs. Casegoods feels as if the upholstery side gets more benefits and listened too more often. No raise in 5 years sucks. Loss of benefits such as doctor on site was the worst to loose.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees a very good raise, bring back the benefits (all of them) and never let Ralph Scofavazza back in the door, listen to all employees not just part of them.

Thomasville furniture was a great place to work!

District Manager (Former Employee)
    Tampa, FL

ProsAt Thomasville, you had the opportunity to be creative and work in both commercial and residential projects. As part of the management team, you had the autonomy to impact your team's sales performance and truly make a difference in your store's growth.

ConsAs they go through these difficult times, it was difficult to get product in a timely manner, which led to high customer frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose faith! Furniture Brands can get through this if they don't lose sight of what's important - their people and their customers.

Worked for Furniture Brands International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Furniture Brands International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Furniture Brands International CEO Ralph P. Scozzafava. All 28 reviews posted anonymously by Furniture Brands International employees.