Furniture Row
www.furniturerow.com Denver, CO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Furniture Row Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014
Furniture Row – US – “Bedroom Set”

Barney Visser

Great money, big time commitment

Draper, UT

I worked at Furniture Row full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMoney is wonderful for good/ethical salespeople. Great growth opportunity to move up in the company quickly if you're a strong player (I went from MIT, to AM, to full store manager in 1 year - Not typical, but it can definitely happen!).

ConsIf you have a family or are thinking of starting one, the long hours may affect your ability to be with them. I would usually get home at 9:30 or 10pm every night, baby's in bed, then I'd leave for work with enough time for a quick kiss. It could be a full week before seeing my child awake! It was hard to leave because of the money ($115k as a manager in a top 5 store), but priorities, ya know?

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease consider salaried managers across the board. Don't promote good salespeople only. Look for those that can lead and manage, not sell and not take on responsibility.

Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOutstanding advancement opportunities. Very competitive pay if you are in the right market.

ConsVery long hours and special promotions do not allow for you to set a regular schedule for yourself or your staff. Stop pushing through management that is untrained and unwilling to work to fill a hole.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower your standards for hiring. People who fit into the mold rarely turn out well. Work in the store for a couple of weeks to get a better understanding of what your decisions cause.

I was always wanting to believe that the things they would say I could actually believe would happen...NOT

Denver, CO

I worked at Furniture Row full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIt gave me great experience, and I really learned to cut my teeth on full commission sales.

ConsCompany is run by a group of Male chauvinists, that run a classic "good ole boys" club

Advice to Senior ManagementStart to look around and realize how much money your are losing...since you don't care about employees, its very hard to make them care about your customers. So you are always putting out fires to "fix" bad customer experiences.Start to really care about the people that give their lives to you, and they will want to take care of your customers.

Great job, lots of hours, great pay

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay. You can make a ton of money. Usually 2 1/2 days off a week. Provide benefits

ConsWork up to 70 hours sometimes.(rarely) Average about 55. Work all holidays, weekends, and never get vacation time from Nov.-Jan.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegional managers lay off your managers. They have way to much on their plates at all times, while trying to make their commission in the meanwhile.

Overworked, but great opportunity, especially if you do not have a degree

ProsPotential to make great Money
Great Training
Everyday is different.

ConsNot so good if you have family
Can work some long hours
Work every weekend.

Hands-on training and family-feel, but very time-consuming and competitive as it is a sales position.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Wichita, KS

I worked at Furniture Row full-time for more than a year

ProsThe training was excellent and the employer really cares about your development with company. You can promote quickly and make very good money with the company.

ConsIt is very hard to keep up with family as the hours are long.

Ridiculous company with insane cult in charge.

ProsYou get a paycheck.

ConsAs a manager there were many weeks over 80 hours. Weeks to months with no days off. Only yes men succeed in this company. Company is broken in every way but nobody is willing to admit it. Managers are not managers, they are janitors and warehouse workers and designers and secretaries and repairmen first, and then managers if there is any time left. There is a turn and burn philosophy for all employees. The company cares more about getting customer emails than they do about selling furniture. I could do this all day...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are out of touch with reality.

A family based company that doesn't care about your family.

Sales (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time for more than 3 years

ProsZero they don't care how many people they hire because it's all commission sales. The only company I worked for where the more you sell the more trouble you get into. They want to move you out state for a promotion but won't give you a dime to do it.

ConsInsurance is a joke. 3500 to go to the E.R. Cheap greedy people they have the money but would rather spend it on that losing Nascar team. Upper management are the most soulless people I have ever meet. They are not concerned how many mattresses you sell; they're concerned about ripping customers off by selling useless items like fabric protection that has 3000% mark up. You have no life 5 12 hour shifts and the make you shop the competition on your day's off. If you have no life, family or education these should be the only reasons why you should work here. Also, if your not religious watch out, it's the only place I've worked where it was ok for others including management to push their believes on you. If you don't believe, their not afraid to tell you your wrong!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementFire all of them and start fresh with people that actually went to school for business. Start being a little more loyal to people who basically give up their life to work for you.

Sales were up and down.

I worked at Furniture Row

ProsAt the time I worked here, great quality furniture and the customers loved being able to take it right away.

ConsThey changed the quality to compete with lesser companies and the customers took note. FR also needs to do better with their advertising. Customers don't know when they are having special hours , because they never advertise it.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep your employees as positive as possible.

A generally disappointing experience

I worked at Furniture Row full-time

ProsThey'll hire anybody without a criminal record. The company has a knack for hiring good people with high standards, so you'll usually enjoy the people you work with.

I have seen people with no retail or sales experience make $6k/mo in their first year or so, but that's entirely dependent on the market you're in. You get minimum wage if you don't make any commission, and this is a common paycheck in smaller stores.

Promotions come quickly if you're willing to move. Here in Texas they have lots of stores, so you may not have to move far depending on where you start.

Most products are high quality and priced well, and the company backs their products better than any other store.

ConsThe first thing to understand about this place is that the owner is a good guy and he has built a company where people almost never get fired for poor sales performance (contrary to what some are posting here, there are no sales quotas), and that's great because it gives inexperienced people a chance to learn and really excel. The second thing is that, without a mandatory level of sales performance the company can't afford to hire people to do certain things. This means as a salesman you are the customer service department in an industry with an extremely high level of customer service needs. You will spend entire days dealing with cranky customers who want their issues fixed, and at the end of the day you'll realize you did it all for free because you made no commission. This is very demotivating, more so when the next salesman made good money that day because you were the one unlucky enough to be on the phone when a buying customer came in.

People who are genuinely concerned about great customer service will earn less money than people who are skilled at dodging problems. Since everything is commission based, certain tasks are avoided long-term because people know they'll get paid the same whether they solve a problem or not. This problem is rampant in the warehouse and delivery trucks, which brings us to another problem: when you are paid by the piece to move furniture, your incentive to excel is small. If your driver gets stuck for three hours in a traffic jam he sits there for free.

You will work open to close every Saturday and Sunday, so if you hate hanging out with your family/friends this could be a great job for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany consistent problems could be solved by paying your back-end guys better. So many things are dependent on a smooth running warehouse, and since there is no company provision to improve their pay, the only way to get things done is to force them into doing things they should be doing voluntarily. Then when they quit they take their knowledge with them, which is a valuable thing to lose in a non-cataloged warehouse.

Worked for Furniture Row? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Furniture Row reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Furniture Row CEO Barney Visser. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Furniture Row employees.