Furniture Row

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.6

Barney Visser

Pros
  • A culture of high integrity, great pay for having no education, great opportunity for career advancement (in 5 reviews)

• Also if u want to move out of your town they will send you anywhere in the us (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • very long hours and had to clean entire store before going home (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management are the most soulless people I have ever meet (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great advancement for anyone willing to work hard

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement, no glass celiing, no required degree to achieve upper management status, just work hard and take advantage of the training. Interview process makes it very clear that they look for only high quality, ethical people, and they take good care of them once they find them.

Cons

Long hours, weekends, holidays, makes it a challenge to have a life/work balance. Turnover is high.

Focus on keeping the good people, not just recruiting more. The company has grown too big for its current structure, there's no communication between management levels. New ideas are implemented before they are tested, leading to frustrated staff.

Delivering furniture for this company is extremely hard work, and I was not properly compensated.

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its fast paced, so time flies and it keeps you in great shape.

Cons

I would have to work 60 hours plus to see a decent pay check.

Balance the schedules better and offer better compensation and benifits to your employees. The company makes great money and the guys doing the hardest work in your entire system get paid the least amount of money.

I love Furniture Row

Current Employee - Assisntant Manager in Peoria, IL
    Current Employee - Assisntant Manager in Peoria, IL

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A culture of high integrity, great pay for having no education, great opportunity for career advancement. Many sales people advance to the assistant manager position in as few as 3 months! The company is run by people of high character and integrity and seek people of similar drive and values.

Cons

Long hours, work on weekends, possible relocation upon promotion.

There isn't much advice I could give the upper management. When the need of the employees haven't been met, upper management has been trying to make the necessary changes. All I can really say is thank you.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of management opportunities and opportunity to promote is high. Great training for the most part if you go into management, they send you to the corporate training center and invest a good amount of time into your training. Pay was decent even though it's still mainly commission based for assistant managers. This company does have a lot of potential.

Cons

This company loves to talk about how they're "family orientated" but the ironic part is that while working here you literally have NO time to spend with your family, the work-life balance is TERRIBLE. Which I think is a big reason why there are so many management openings, because people get tired for working 60 hours a week on a regular basis and just end up quitting. If you are in an area where you are far away from your family, friends, and don't mind work being your life then you'll be fine but if you're not then I would not recommend this job. If you're in when of the larger busier stores then the money you make might make up for the all the time you spend there but if you're in a smaller store forget about it. Manager pay is decent but a sales associate in a smaller market hardly stands a chance. If your store manager is not a great one be prepared to be working in a very disorganized messy place and to also have to carry a lot of extra weight, even as just a sales associate. Unless you are in one the larger markets (which is mainly just Colorado) be expected to have to get to the store extra early to unload trucks without getting paid (They say you are getting paid...by selling or having sold the product that you're unloading, but that's ridiculous). You are also responsible for all the sweeping, vacuuming, dusting, mopping, and cleaning bathrooms. Although that didn't bother me too much they're are other furniture stores that have a separate crew for this duties so I just want to make it clear that here you're respondsible for it. lIn my opinion I feel like the corporate point of view is "fluffed up" a lot and even though you go to these great trainings and get super energized you come back to your store and it's completely sucked out of you.

Mean what you say, don't just preach a good sermon to convince people to jump on ship. SPEND MORE TIME IN YOUR STORES, I think you'd be surprised with what you would discover. Fix your pay structure, it's extremely out dated. PLEASE work towards creating a better work-life balance...seriously though, I guarantee you this is why you lose so many good employees. And if that is completely impossible for you then at least let people know what theyre getting themselves into before hand. TALK AND LISTEN to you're employees in your smaller markets NOT just your large ones, they may be small and might not bring in as much money but you need them and they need you. You may not think so but a lot of people honestly think you all don't care. P.S TALK TO YOUR MARKETING DEPT, once again the smaller market marketing sucks, most customers in most areas don't even know Furniture Row exist. I can't tell you how many times I heard "oh I've never been to this place" or "I've never heard of you guys" and that's because I didn't work in a HUGE town so I feel like a little bit more and better advertising will go a long way . Also, there are constantly errors in your catalogs and other forms of advertising as well. Its 2014, you're competing with some BIG competitors and you can't pretend they're not there, open your eyes.

Sales

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My supervisor was very nice.

Cons

You are not just selling furniture. You are taking out trash, moving furniture, cleaning out moving trucks and getting your clothes filthy. You work open to close. Zero work/life balance.

Hire a couple of people in each store to clean and move furniture so your sales staff can focus on selling. Hire more sales staff, so, you can stagger shifts. No one wants to work open to close every day.

Fast start with growth, sputters out the longer you work with the company

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Anyone looking for management experience, this is a fast track

Cons

It is hard balancing life and work with this company. Most stores are run with small staffs in management, therefore if there is an emergency or someone is ill, you have to take up the slack.

Pretty good retail position

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Davenport, IA

I worked at Furniture Row (more than an year)

Pros

I had a great manager who really helped me develop my selling techniques and who educated us about the products. Benefits were decent.

Cons

Long hours, every weekend. Very little time off.

More sales contests and incentives. Make it fun!

FR will make you appreciate your next job

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good quality products you won't be able to afford unless you work in a larger market. If you want to move to a different state, get hired with Furniture Row and get promoted to asst mgr; the company will help pay for the move. (FR has never-ending turnover in fed up asst mgrs.) There's lots of training...that the company expects you to do in your spare time.

Cons

Where to start? Work 11+ hrs a day on commission, so you might literally make $0 in a day. On that day you'll clean and move furniture around, change signage, maybe do some inventory, but more than that you'll take calls -- lots of them -- from PO'd customers with warranty issues and/or impatient people waiting on delivery. And don't forget angry customers whose merchandise was supposed to be available in the warehouse but wasn't. FR's ancient inventory system relies on the computing competence of the staff. (Scary!) Seriously, carving notches in a stick would make as much sense. Anyone can accidentally add nonexistent items to the inventory, which the next salesperson will confidently sell to the next customer (who wants to take it home immediately, of course) who gets mad, understandably, because she thinks she's been lied to.

The company constantly preaches how their primary focus is satisfied customers and employees, but the only compensation is commission on sales. That's not uncommon in furniture, but it doesn't work in real life (Other companies employ salaried Customer Service staff to keep people happy). FR has absolutely no metric for quantifying (or rewarding) customer satisfaction. You'll get a report card (called an IPS) which gauges your sales volume, credit applications, prospecting, extended warranties sold, but not a word about happy customers, and no one in upper management has apparently ever noticed the irony there. It doesn't matter how many angry customers you made happy today, you WILL NOT be compensated for the hours you'll spend doing so. FR will tell you your commissions (which aren't any better than the competitor stores) are also compensation for customer service time, but people soon figure out that they'll get paid the same whether they solve a problem or not, so many of them tell the customer on the phone they'll fix their problem, then hang up and forget about it. Odds are the next time the customer calls (even madder now) someone else will pick up the phone. I had a manager no one could stand because he was constantly making up reasons to avoid dealing with cranky customers.

And speaking of stupid philosophies, I wanted to slit my wrists every time I found out we were hiring more sales staff. Of course, it doesn't cost the company anything to hire more commissioned employees, and they have a policy to overstaff at least a little. So if you're at a $2M/yr store, splitting the potential commission with three other people you might make some money at 5%. Then the company will add two more people because they're "gearing up for the holidays" or some rot and suddenly your percentage of the customer count goes way down. Then the Koolaid-drenched manager will say, "You're not thinking right! It doesn't mean you get a smaller slice of the pie, it means the pie gets bigger!" No one ever explained to me why hiring too many people would increase customer traffic or personal sales ability. I wanted to say, "Then wouldn't it make sense to hire 23 more salespeople? The pie would be HUGE!"

You'll work every weekend because it's company policy, and every holiday except Thanksgiving and Christmas. In many ways managers get to run things the ways they see fit. If you have a competent manager it's not so bad. If you have an incompetent manager you'll pull your hair out because their policies can affect your paycheck (and your life) in dramatic ways. I finally quit because the last straw was my manager creating and then bending rules to justify stealing my sales.

There aren't any real benefits except for the worst insurance I've ever heard of. A coworker of mine had a common surgical procedure and Meritain Insurance spent a year trying to find ways to avoid paying for it while bills went unpaid and credit ratings deteriorated.

The things that work in large stores don't necessarily translate to smaller stores. Do a quick survey to see how many people have been selling any given site for longer than two years. The high turnover rate is ridiculous and frankly it's because pay isn't worth the hassle.

good company to work for

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Draper, UT
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Draper, UT

I worked at Furniture Row full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good salary and advancement

Cons

presser to move form home stat for advancement

n/a

Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Furniture Row full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, great enviroment. Fast opportunity to advance. Continous learning

Cons

Could be overwhelming, as a manger you have to sell and are also responsible for customer service, operations, staffing everything to do with management. long work hours no weekends off.

Offer alternating weekends off to employees.

Furniture Row Photos