Fusion Systems Japan

Updated November 11, 2014
2.4

Fusion Systems Japan President & CEO Michael Alfant
Michael Alfant

Huge upside for entry level employees

Former Employee - Java Development Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Java Development Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Fusion team hired me as a summer intern in 2013. They provided me with instruction from the Japan office and one-on-one mentoring with the project Program Managers and experienced engineers. I was provided with hands-on exposure to Agile development methodologies and given specific assignments that reinforced the models being taught. The project team leaders were open and easily approachable when it came to roadblocks, and the critique of my assignments was always balanced between the needs of the project deliverable and what I needed to understand in order to deliver my task. At all times I was treated as a real contributor and not just a temporary staff member.
    After I returned to school to finish my senior year the Fusion managers stayed in touch and provided excellent references and support in my job search. I was invited back to the office and allowed to see the finished product that was released to the public.
    The team I worked with was great, lead by a very senior program manager that was actually off-site, but in communication with us on a daily basis. It was also a very international team with consultants from Asia, Europe and the US involved and each of them highly skilled in their practice areas. The practical application of basic computer science skills was invaluable. The insights from the senior developers changed the way I developed code after this position.

Cons

As an intern I didn't earn as much at Fusion as I thought I might have deserved. The office was in a warehouse and was in need of a significant upgrade to compare with other software development companies in California. (Note: They since have moved into a new office tower in Torrance, CA)

The management team was disconnected and that lead to some confusion. The Senior Partner was back and forth to Japan and the Junior Partner was heavily focused on sales, not engineering. My direct manager was based in Portland so communication was via SKYPE and phone calls. I would have liked to seen better organization of reporting lines and access to key information for project delivery.

the worst job i've ever had. positively, any job afterwards can only get better

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan full-time

Pros

is it sad that i can't think of a single pro? i really tried... but i can rattle off tons of cons

Cons

laughable salary. make sure you negotiate well because raises and bonuses are non-existent words at this company. 5 COMBINED vacation/sick days. partners are only happy if you're out making money. be prepared to be unhappy & unsatisfied while here. they will constantly tell you that they're in an "entrepreneur phase" and that you have to live uncomfortably if you want to live large and reap the benefits later on. they've been saying that for years. they will always tell you company is doing badly so they don't have to give any raises. if you ask for a raise, they will tell you that you'll get one in a few months, then just shun you again in a few months. if you want to torture yourself, work here. if not, stay away at all costs!

too much advice to give that wouldn't be taken anyways

Good place to grow ... until you outgrow it.

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're young, ambitious and hardworking, you'll be thrown into a lot of deep ends - it's a good way to learn and you WILL learn a lot. A few years here will be excellent experience to leverage later.

Cons

Eventually you'll want more from the company, but you won't get it. Not just salary, but any kind of say in how things are/should be done. You'll also have matured and demand more leadership and proper management from your boss. Nah, that's not gonna happen either. At this point, you'll probably want to leave. Other firms (probably clients you've worked at) will know your worth and treat you accordingly.

Stick to software - or else hire specialists in other areas too. Being a good code monkey doesn't make you a good consultant, project manager, infrastructure guy, etc., and you're not fooling anyone by putting the wrong guy in the wrong role just to snag the fee.

Well know for some of the smartest entrepreneurial folk in Japan. Has a great vibe and great work-life balance.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Feel involved all the way down (and up) in making a valuable company. Very dynamic. Ownership and responsibility is yours if you have the drive and prove yourself. I guess this is the encouraged formula. The MOST minimalist management "interference" in your space when you prove yourself. Got lots of support and encouragement.

Cons

Fusion Systems I was a very well known force in the 90s. It's a smaller operation now but tighter. My feeling is that departments could synergies better. There is no room for any level of inefficiency in such a small company. Looks to be getting worked out I think.

Need someone with a COO "hat" kicking butt internally to "oil the machine".

A lot of axe-grinding going on here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fusion is a startup whose business is highly sensitive to sentiment in global capital markets. Fusion was ambushed by the financial crisis and has survived industry volatility by being agile and expedient. On the positive this means that you can get a lot of diverse experience quickly. if you're entrepreneurial and have a good work ethic, then lots of opportunities exist. For developers, a lot of great technology in use.

Cons

Lack of management support, combined with what can seem like incoherent direction (see other reviews). Resulting internal instability has meant that only the most committed employees have prospered, while quite a few others have fallen by the wayside over the years. Staff who were unproductive merely due to a lack of direction have left. Unprofitable businesses have been downsized. Oftentimes this results in ex-employees who feel burned by a false promise.

With the business environment out of crisis mode and enabling more sustained growth, management should refocus on organizational stability and providing consistent support and direction to staff.

Overall it was OK

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provide opportunity for the beginners as well as experienced professionals.

Cons

Not a stable company and no job security, can fire once the project is over.

Not a great place to work - that is the understatement of the year

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Thrown in a difficult situation so that you can learn new things.

Cons

No support from management. Poor project management and scope of work. No loyalty to those that put in ungodly hours. You may expect to work 80 hours a week. You do not get paid for 45 hours of overtime per month (as specified in all their contracts).

You need to give better support and listen to your team.

Not good for a long term job

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan

Pros

Fusion is a dynamic environment where there are a lot of different projects and technologies to get involved with. If you are lucky to have a good managing partner, then your chances to get involved in these technologies are wonderful.
    It's a great place to network and get involved with other companies and their products and build rapport with them and get a new job.

Cons

Management is completely un-supportive of employees, except a select few from 1st world countries or unless they have ulterior motives.

Company was created originally to build as quickly as possible and IPO and sell in 3 years, like the original Fusion. 6 years later, they are still running the company with this idea, with no IPO in sight.

"Official processes" are ignored when a partner wants something done, yet enforced in all other cases.

No professional growth for employees.

Sales teams has no idea about the technologies they are trying to sell and senior management doesn't believe they need to, as they can 'stretch the truth' and once in the door close the deal.

Management/Partners are dishonest and will go to great extremes to stab each other, and employees, in the back for the chance to look good in the CEOs eyes.

There is no training in the company, OJT is expected, even when there is no current knowledge base to learn from. This fosters and environment where techs have to spend 40 hours a week outside of their normal work to study for projects that they are told have been sold, just to find out that the sales director has lied to a customer and lost the deal.

For a technology company the sales director doesn't know the difference between vmware and vnc, and doesn't see this as an issue because as sales, "he doesn't need to know the differences."

General employee attitude is that of concern and untrusting, as they are always afraid and partner will come down and request they do something that will endanger their job.

Training and re-education for Sales, especially the sales manager. Send them to basic sales and ethics training.

Training for employees, career outlines and assistance in professional growth.

Develop and build a better environment for employees. Since the company will be around longer then expected, the internal workings need to be redesigned to reflect a company with longevity in mind, as opposed to a company that will be sold in 2 years.

A blemish on my resume

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan

Pros

Employees were generally nice and easy to get along with.
    Location was fairly good
    A place to pick up skills quickly

Cons

Are you looking for a good job that offers a good work/life balance, a competitive salary, good benefits and perks, and plenty of opportunities for upwards movement? Well, Fusion ain't it!

This was the first and only company that I've worked for that never paid for transportation expenses, and never gave me a performance review or a raise (not even once) in the time that I worked there. Appreciation for hard work (if any) was in the form of a quarterly pizza party with cheap greasy pizza and warm stale beer, which also became non-existent by the time I left the company.

Most of the people at Fusion whom I worked with (whom most have since left the company) were the kind of people who would bend over backwards and work extremely hard for lower than market value wages, in the hopes that the CEO would someday live up to his promise of paying a "substantial" bonus once he reaches his goal of going IPO. As time went on, employees started to realized that the annually awarded bonus certificates that the CEO so proudly referred to as "SARS" was just like Monopoly money (worth less than the cheap pieces paper they were printed on)

Often times I would have to work with clients who complained how dishonest the partners and clients are, which made my job very difficult, because I always had to play the role of relationship mender.

Furthermore, on many occasions, as a senior consultant, I have gone on a number of sales calls with the sales staff or a partner, only to see attempts to sell expertise, skills and services to first time clients, that no one at Fusion possessed. Fortunately most of the clients would see right through the facade.

Moreover, a senior consultant would often be given the mind numbing task of writing lengthy sales proposals for the sales staff, because many of them lacked the writing and technical skills to write a credible proposal. There were times when I was given the task, and was blamed when the client declines the proposal.

Overall, I would only recommend Fusion to those who are looking into stepping into IT and want to bring up their skills relatively quickly. It is a good place to pick up skills quickly because the partners will often sell you off to clients using a highly doctored up version of your resume, and expect you to perform skills that they falsely and unethically sold to their clients, thus making you hustle to learn the skills, often without help from Fusion. However, I must stress that anyone who chooses to join this company, please be aware that your are nothing more than a commodity. The partners at Fusion will sometimes pretend to care about you, when you are having problems with your client or not able to perform you job well because of the steep learning curve that was thrown on you. But the harsh reality is that the partners are only supportive and on your side as long as you are bringing money into the company. From the moment that your project ends until the moment the next projects begins (that is assuming that the sales team are able to get you onto another project) you are a target for being laid off.

Finally, take EVERYTHING said with a grain of salt, because honesty, ethics, and the truth wears pretty thin at Fusion Systems.

Start treating your employees right, and they'll stop leaving.
    Hire quality people who can do the job, not desperate who'll do or say anything to get a job. You've already seen that they never last or bring value to the company.
    Start paying bonuses and show your appreciation for your employees' work, because without them, Fusion wouldn't exist.

Not a productive environment

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan

Pros

Fusion as a small IT services company allows employees to work with the entire gamut of technology.

Pay is commensurate larger companies if you negotiate it right.

Cons

There is a lot of internal friction going on within Fusion. Management being very divisive, etc.

Management has no concept of the technology it sells.

The consultants skillset is rather poor at Fusion. Some systems they develop for customers were not functional.

Fusion is extremely busy and there were many projects falling apart due to poor management and high employee turnover. As a senior consultant you will be asked to take over some of these projects only to find that they are undocumented, underbid, and un-salvageable.

Re-training and ongoing training for management.

Foster a better internal environment; bonding; teamwork; etc.

Document projects better especially if the high turnover at Fusion continues. Even adhoc documentation is effective when handing over projects to new consultants.