Fusion Systems Japan

Add Photos

Fusion Systems Japan President & CEO Michael Alfant

Michael Alfant

Overall it was OK

Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan full-time for more than a year

ProsThey provide opportunity for the beginners as well as experienced professionals.

ConsNot a stable company and no job security, can fire once the project is over.

the worst job i've ever had. positively, any job afterwards can only get better

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan full-time

Prosis it sad that i can't think of a single pro? i really tried... but i can rattle off tons of cons

Conslaughable salary. make sure you negotiate well because raises and bonuses are non-existent words at this company. 5 COMBINED vacation/sick days. partners are only happy if you're out making money. be prepared to be unhappy & unsatisfied while here. they will constantly tell you that they're in an "entrepreneur phase" and that you have to live uncomfortably if you want to live large and reap the benefits later on. they've been saying that for years. they will always tell you company is doing badly so they don't have to give any raises. if you ask for a raise, they will tell you that you'll get one in a few months, then just shun you again in a few months. if you want to torture yourself, work here. if not, stay away at all costs!

Advice to Senior Managementtoo much advice to give that wouldn't be taken anyways

Not a great place to work - that is the understatement of the year

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan full-time for more than a year

ProsThrown in a difficult situation so that you can learn new things.

ConsNo support from management. Poor project management and scope of work. No loyalty to those that put in ungodly hours. You may expect to work 80 hours a week. You do not get paid for 45 hours of overtime per month (as specified in all their contracts).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to give better support and listen to your team.

Not good for a long term job

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan

ProsFusion is a dynamic environment where there are a lot of different projects and technologies to get involved with. If you are lucky to have a good managing partner, then your chances to get involved in these technologies are wonderful.
It's a great place to network and get involved with other companies and their products and build rapport with them and get a new job.

ConsManagement is completely un-supportive of employees, except a select few from 1st world countries or unless they have ulterior motives.

Company was created originally to build as quickly as possible and IPO and sell in 3 years, like the original Fusion. 6 years later, they are still running the company with this idea, with no IPO in sight.

"Official processes" are ignored when a partner wants something done, yet enforced in all other cases.

No professional growth for employees.

Sales teams has no idea about the technologies they are trying to sell and senior management doesn't believe they need to, as they can 'stretch the truth' and once in the door close the deal.

Management/Partners are dishonest and will go to great extremes to stab each other, and employees, in the back for the chance to look good in the CEOs eyes.

There is no training in the company, OJT is expected, even when there is no current knowledge base to learn from. This fosters and environment where techs have to spend 40 hours a week outside of their normal work to study for projects that they are told have been sold, just to find out that the sales director has lied to a customer and lost the deal.

For a technology company the sales director doesn't know the difference between vmware and vnc, and doesn't see this as an issue because as sales, "he doesn't need to know the differences."

General employee attitude is that of concern and untrusting, as they are always afraid and partner will come down and request they do something that will endanger their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and re-education for Sales, especially the sales manager. Send them to basic sales and ethics training.

Training for employees, career outlines and assistance in professional growth.

Develop and build a better environment for employees. Since the company will be around longer then expected, the internal workings need to be redesigned to reflect a company with longevity in mind, as opposed to a company that will be sold in 2 years.

A blemish on my resume

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan

ProsEmployees were generally nice and easy to get along with.
Location was fairly good
A place to pick up skills quickly

ConsAre you looking for a good job that offers a good work/life balance, a competitive salary, good benefits and perks, and plenty of opportunities for upwards movement? Well, Fusion ain't it!

This was the first and only company that I've worked for that never paid for transportation expenses, and never gave me a performance review or a raise (not even once) in the time that I worked there. Appreciation for hard work (if any) was in the form of a quarterly pizza party with cheap greasy pizza and warm stale beer, which also became non-existent by the time I left the company.

Most of the people at Fusion whom I worked with (whom most have since left the company) were the kind of people who would bend over backwards and work extremely hard for lower than market value wages, in the hopes that the CEO would someday live up to his promise of paying a "substantial" bonus once he reaches his goal of going IPO. As time went on, employees started to realized that the annually awarded bonus certificates that the CEO so proudly referred to as "SARS" was just like Monopoly money (worth less than the cheap pieces paper they were printed on)

Often times I would have to work with clients who complained how dishonest the partners and clients are, which made my job very difficult, because I always had to play the role of relationship mender.

Furthermore, on many occasions, as a senior consultant, I have gone on a number of sales calls with the sales staff or a partner, only to see attempts to sell expertise, skills and services to first time clients, that no one at Fusion possessed. Fortunately most of the clients would see right through the facade.

Moreover, a senior consultant would often be given the mind numbing task of writing lengthy sales proposals for the sales staff, because many of them lacked the writing and technical skills to write a credible proposal. There were times when I was given the task, and was blamed when the client declines the proposal.

Overall, I would only recommend Fusion to those who are looking into stepping into IT and want to bring up their skills relatively quickly. It is a good place to pick up skills quickly because the partners will often sell you off to clients using a highly doctored up version of your resume, and expect you to perform skills that they falsely and unethically sold to their clients, thus making you hustle to learn the skills, often without help from Fusion. However, I must stress that anyone who chooses to join this company, please be aware that your are nothing more than a commodity. The partners at Fusion will sometimes pretend to care about you, when you are having problems with your client or not able to perform you job well because of the steep learning curve that was thrown on you. But the harsh reality is that the partners are only supportive and on your side as long as you are bringing money into the company. From the moment that your project ends until the moment the next projects begins (that is assuming that the sales team are able to get you onto another project) you are a target for being laid off.

Finally, take EVERYTHING said with a grain of salt, because honesty, ethics, and the truth wears pretty thin at Fusion Systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees right, and they'll stop leaving.
Hire quality people who can do the job, not desperate who'll do or say anything to get a job. You've already seen that they never last or bring value to the company.
Start paying bonuses and show your appreciation for your employees' work, because without them, Fusion wouldn't exist.

Not a productive environment

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan

ProsFusion as a small IT services company allows employees to work with the entire gamut of technology.

Pay is commensurate larger companies if you negotiate it right.

ConsThere is a lot of internal friction going on within Fusion. Management being very divisive, etc.

Management has no concept of the technology it sells.

The consultants skillset is rather poor at Fusion. Some systems they develop for customers were not functional.

Fusion is extremely busy and there were many projects falling apart due to poor management and high employee turnover. As a senior consultant you will be asked to take over some of these projects only to find that they are undocumented, underbid, and un-salvageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-training and ongoing training for management.

Foster a better internal environment; bonding; teamwork; etc.

Document projects better especially if the high turnover at Fusion continues. Even adhoc documentation is effective when handing over projects to new consultants.

A daily adventure into the world of professionalism, at it's lowest form.

I have been working at Fusion Systems Japan

ProsGreat place to be involved in development work for the finance community and gain experience with development for the low latency markets. Environment is beneficial for gaining experience and getting hired directly by the banks and clients that they have.

ConsManaging partners of the company could be likened to a circus act, where-in every day, and project, they beat their chests and try to come out on top. There is no interest in working together except for financial gain and back stabbing is so common place, everyone is guarded and unwilling to step forward.
Employees are viewed as commodities, and treated even more poorly.
The sales team is so poor at their job, the company has to rely on their President and his relationship with the business community to drive in new business.
Can't retain quality employees due to all of the above.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in employee's.
Bring in people that can do the work, not because they are cheap, but because they have ability.
Bring in a sales manager that can sell and provide incentives that the employees can use, as opposed to something not real and that will never materialize.

Avoid At All Costs

Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan

ProsGood environment to learn about new technologies. There are a handful of good people but they are saddled down by Partner B.S. Plenty of time to surf the net.
With lots of free time there is an opportunity to learn new technologies and methodoligies but unfortunately cant be used.
Because of lack of resources multi-tasking is possible, exposing you to new workflows and tasks.

ConsProject management is non existent. Leadership is very poor. Only a handful of good people. Draconian HR lady. Troglodyte of a sales manager with few people skills and ironically for an IT company; No IT knowledge whatsoever.
No training schemes and internal controls means that if you are an analytical person you may be very confused by the chaos.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire professional managers to lead the company. Consider strategies not originated from the partners meetings.

Not good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fusion Systems Japan

Prosthere are few pros here. some of the sr. leaders are capable but others are NOT. sales appears to be a big problem.

Conspoor salaries accept for a very few, no overtime pay but required to work OT, hard to take vacation, little development of skills

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to get a clue. head of sales is terrible. tons of engineer time wasted on b.s. internal stuff

Worked for Fusion Systems Japan? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fusion Systems Japan reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fusion Systems Japan CEO Michael Alfant. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Fusion Systems Japan employees.