Fusion-io

Fusion-io Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Fusion-io President Shane Robison

Shane Robison

Pros
  • Free lunch every day, fascinating technology, good camaraderie and atmosphere(in 17 reviews)

• This is also a great work environment with employees that work hard and are driven to succeed(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Because we are growing fast we are going through some growing pains(in 10 reviews)

• Over the past year, there has been many senior management changes(in 5 reviews)

Fusion-io knows how to keep talent interested and loyal.

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFree lunch, Ping Pong, Foosball, Challenging problems to really get you thinking. Friendly environment, good leadership.

ConsFor the sake of listing a con, however minimal it is, as an intern the training was very minimal and the expectations were that of a full-time employee. As I said, this was hardly an issue as I was able to work through the tasks without too much trouble.

It was awesome experience working with the world class team.

SQA (Current Employee)

ProsVery talented team
    Lunch everyday
    great teamwork
    Innovation is the key

ConsSometimes very fast paced.
    Attrition
    Communication is not transparent sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are the success Mantra...invest more in employees

Great product, great culture.

Manager, Technical Publications (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFree lunch every day, fascinating technology, good camaraderie and atmosphere. Many very bright people to work with. The SLC location is very nice too, with views of the valley and easy access to Big and Little Cottonwood canyons.

ConsWeak product management. The benefits are mediocre.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the Product Managers some teeth!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential is there if they can go from start up to grown up

Software QA Engineer (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsGood work and life balance, ability to work from home, lots of smart engineers, some very interesting technology, buy out by SanDisk gives some much needed financial muscle and (hopefully) some mature engineering best ractices

ConsToo much Flux and change in engineering which causes constant refactoring, not enough communication between development, QA and product management, buy out by SanDisk is causing lots of fear and uncertainty

Advice to Senior ManagementWay too many VP's, so cut the chaff.

Confusion-io

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGreat product, that was brought about by two founders who at least had some heart behind them. Great people to work with. Awesome lunch's provided daily from the café.

ConsNew management. No direction. No leadership. Huge lack of communication from the top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your people! Say what you mean and mean what you say. Follow through. Lead. You have good people that want to succeed.

Used to be great

Sales (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsIt was a fantastic place. Technology is still very cool for the niche market it caters too. Kickoffs had great atmosphere.

ConsThen it all changed with the new CEO...who eventually brought in the new sales regime. New sales leaders in the major territories who both came from the same previous vendor changed the sales culture beyond recognition to match what they used to do and a vast exodus in sales and marketing began. So many people couldn't take all the micro management they had no choice but to leave. Other flash players are breaking ground with their own technologies and the competition is tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many people are leaving. Certain VPs are abusing the power they have and are forcing so many to depart by vastly changing the culture and micro managing every single step.

Great Engineering Team

Engineering (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsFusion-io has a spectacular Engineering team who are very dedicated to their product and company. I have been a Program Manager for over 10 years and never worked with a many competent and motivated Engineers. I was surprised by the business acumen with the team and the desire to propel the company forward. Their vision of the storage industry and how to lead it is quite remarkable. The company perks are also very good; they provide quite a bit of swag and other perks to keep you motivated through the day. The benefits are also very good from a health/dental care standpoint. compensation is great for Utah and also competitive in the industry.

ConsSome of the negatives are the inflexibility with regard to paid time off. All employees begin again with the equivalent of 15 days of PTO, no matter how long you have been in industry. It is a non-negotiable quantity and often company recruiters will recommend an adjustment in salary over the PTO. Also the 401K matching is an embarrassment, in fact it when the announced they were adding it and gave the amount, up to $1,500, I thought they misspoke! The strategic vision at the company is also lacking and it creates quite an incredible amount of churn within the organization. There is still a start up mentality to chase every opportunity at odds with a scaling company focusing on their core competencies.

Unsure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat perks, good pay, good benefits. Free food.

ConsEveryone knows it's a sinking ship. Management has no idea what it's doing.

Great technology hiding behind a stupid stock market

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of talent here. Product is top-notch, as well as the people working on it. Great to be the first and top player in the industry.

ConsLots of busy work, decisions made higher up uproot current effort on previous decisions made before. Too many context switches, hopefully that will change for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting better, but let the ones who work on the things you're planning have more communication both ways. Explain why some decision is being made, so wasted effort doesn't feel so wasted.

Good place for interning and learning

Engineering Coop (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe mentor program for interns is very good. People in the team are very helpful. The work load for interns isn't too much. Also free lunch.

ConsLong-term stability is one of the primary concern. Lots of senior management changes in the past year.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's stock price has plummeted a lot since the founders have left. Gotta do something so that it rises consistently.

Worked for Fusion-io? Contribute to the Community!