Fusion-io Reviews in Salt Lake City, UT

Updated August 20, 2014
4.0

Fusion-io President Shane Robison
Shane Robison

Pros
  • Free lunch, Ping Pong, Foosball, Challenging problems to really get you thinking (in 18 reviews)

• This is also a great work environment with employees that work hard and are driven to succeed (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Because we are growing fast we are going through some growing pains (in 10 reviews)

• Over the past year, there has been many senior management changes (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great fun place but future unknown with Acquisition from SanDisk

Current Employee - Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io full-time for more than a year

Pros

Past years has been Great, Fun Place to work. Good Work life balance. Friendly employees and management. good benefits and perks with free lunches everyday & drinks.

Cons

Changes and lack of communication from new owners leave us wondering what will happen in utah offices. no executives here.

Be transparent, communicate to employees

Fusion-io knows how to keep talent interested and loyal.

Current Employee - Data Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Free lunch, Ping Pong, Foosball, Challenging problems to really get you thinking. Friendly environment, good leadership.

Cons

For the sake of listing a con, however minimal it is, as an intern the training was very minimal and the expectations were that of a full-time employee. As I said, this was hardly an issue as I was able to work through the tasks without too much trouble.

Great product, great culture.

Current Employee - Manager, Technical Publications  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Manager, Technical Publications in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Free lunch every day, fascinating technology, good camaraderie and atmosphere. Many very bright people to work with. The SLC location is very nice too, with views of the valley and easy access to Big and Little Cottonwood canyons.

Cons

Weak product management. The benefits are mediocre.

Give the Product Managers some teeth!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Potential is there if they can go from start up to grown up

Former Employee - Software QA Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Software QA Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Fusion-io full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work and life balance, ability to work from home, lots of smart engineers, some very interesting technology, buy out by SanDisk gives some much needed financial muscle and (hopefully) some mature engineering best ractices

Cons

Too much Flux and change in engineering which causes constant refactoring, not enough communication between development, QA and product management, buy out by SanDisk is causing lots of fear and uncertainty

Way too many VP's, so cut the chaff.

Great Engineering Team

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fusion-io has a spectacular Engineering team who are very dedicated to their product and company. I have been a Program Manager for over 10 years and never worked with a many competent and motivated Engineers. I was surprised by the business acumen with the team and the desire to propel the company forward. Their vision of the storage industry and how to lead it is quite remarkable. The company perks are also very good; they provide quite a bit of swag and other perks to keep you motivated through the day. The benefits are also very good from a health/dental care standpoint. compensation is great for Utah and also competitive in the industry.

Cons

Some of the negatives are the inflexibility with regard to paid time off. All employees begin again with the equivalent of 15 days of PTO, no matter how long you have been in industry. It is a non-negotiable quantity and often company recruiters will recommend an adjustment in salary over the PTO. Also the 401K matching is an embarrassment, in fact it when the announced they were adding it and gave the amount, up to $1,500, I thought they misspoke! The strategic vision at the company is also lacking and it creates quite an incredible amount of churn within the organization. There is still a start up mentality to chase every opportunity at odds with a scaling company focusing on their core competencies.

Good place for interning and learning

Current Employee - Engineering Coop  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Coop in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The mentor program for interns is very good. People in the team are very helpful. The work load for interns isn't too much. Also free lunch.

Cons

Long-term stability is one of the primary concern. Lots of senior management changes in the past year.

The company's stock price has plummeted a lot since the founders have left. Gotta do something so that it rises consistently.

Used to be amazing, but not as fun lately.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Fusion-io full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Onsite gourmet lunch, annual engineering summits, and amazing products. Benefits were very competitive with other companies. Co-workers were wonderful, committed, and did everything in their power to help new people.

Cons

After the upper level management change, the company had a bit of a different feel. Less concern for employee's work/life balance. Hiring freeze seemed to result in an abundance of interns and a drain of skilled/experienced staff. IT management seemed to be pushing as much as possible to hosted services (i.e., e-mail changed to office365 without any input from internal Linux users).

Work life balance needs to be considered. Often, it seemed like management felt they were doing us a favor by employing us. Middle-level management had little or no respect for real life struggles of staff (not all mid-level management suffered from this, some of them were very good).

Great people, great benefits

Former Employee - Manager  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Fusion-io full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch, stock purchase plan, smart people.

Cons

Management shake up, loss of founders, turmoil, loss of edge.

Invest in R&D.

Good open culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Rubbing shoulders with some of the smartest people around.
    - Open relaxed and flexible working environment
    - Encouragement to be innovative and excel as an individual, at the same time team work given importance.

Cons

- Nothing I can say negative, but yes there is always a scope to improve.

More robust processes in place will make life easier and even more enjoyable

Great place to work, always innovating.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fusion-io full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Lunch, nice atmosphere, well designed buildings, and good work equipment.

Cons

Many of the executives work in the San Jose office as opposed to the Corporate office in SLC.

A bit top heavy organizationally..

Worked for Fusion-io? Contribute to the Community!