Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. Reviews

Reset
3.8
Peter H. Grose, PE

1. 3.5 rounding to 4

I have been working at Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company moving in a great direction. Corporate goals are realistic. Talented people, great projects, management is great growing rapidly. Good benefits, flexible work hours, good people, overall great place to work if you can stick it through a few years of below industry pay levels( even less than municipal/state in some instances)

Cons

Not enough mid level engineers to manage younger staff and allow project managers to do other tasks, almost no reward or pat on the back for doing above and beyond in projects. Pay is below industry average and don't reflect higher billing rates. Branch offices get less support from corporate than is needed.

Advice to Management

Great place to work, awful place to be compensated from. FO is plagued with entry level engineers and project managers, and almost no one in between. Kids out of college get there 3 years of excellent experience then move elsewhere to get better pay. rarely do people stick with through the lack of raises and compensation, which makes it tough to keep a balanced staff. Recommend promoting more from within and compensating more to keep employees for longer periods, which will build a more balanced team and create less stress on project managers.

Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. Response

Aug 19, 2015 – CEO

I'm glad to hear you think we're moving in the right direction, and appreciate your suggestions. As you point out, we have been growing rapidly and have been hiring at all levels, from entry level ... More

2. Good company and getting better

Current Employee - Support Services in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Support Services in Manchester, CT

I have been working at Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits Flexible schedule and no real dress code Interesting people who are passionate about what they do and the company Have been getting more training opportunities Good tuition reimbursement Senior Management have been communicating more with employees about the company performance and plans Overall, a great place to work

Cons

There's been a lot of change over the past couple of years and some senior managers seem to be holding on to the "old way" tightly Practices can differ between offices and groups Long hours and demanding deadlines at times Support Services employees (Accounting, IT, Marketing, HR) are looked down upon and treated as expendable by some senior managers

Advice to Management

Change is okay, especially if you want to improve Consider that Support employees are people, too, and can have a lot of positive contributions to the company The focus on building a positive place to work has not gone unnoticed, keep it up.

Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. Response

Aug 19, 2015 – CEO

I appreciate your observation about our employees' passion, as there is a lot of pride in "creating works of life" that improve the communities in which we work and solve our clients' challenges. I ... More

3. Good small firm

Current Employee - Engineer II in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Columbia, SC

Pros

Low pressure. You are paid for overtime, but no one expects you to work on the weekend or late nights. There are some talented people there.

Cons

Limited upward mobility. Projects are not very interesting or challenging. The work is sporadic and there are slow periods. Trouble maintaining client relations in SC office.

Advice to Management

Need to train lower level staff in business development. Some people and departments are siloed from one another.

5. Good Internship Experience

Former Intern - Engineering Intern
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern

I worked at Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, Opportunity to work on many different projects, Personal Growth, Positive work environment, After work activities. Management listened when I suggested changes to projects despite my internship status.

Cons

Small company that gets small projects, though this does mean that even interns have opportunities to contribute significantly to projects.

6. Loved It!

Pros

Great people doing great work. Managed by people working in the company.

Cons

Small Company so career growth can depend on overall company growth

Good Experience

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. as an intern

Pros

Multiple projects to work on, good company values, flexibility in scheduling, invested in its employees and their personal growth, after work activities

Cons

limited training opportunities for interns from my experience

8. engineer II

Current Employee - Engineer II in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Engineer II in Providence, RI

I have been working at Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good company to work at,good managers, no interference from upper management

Cons

none. small scale projects only.

9. Pros

Even young engineers are given responsibilities to help expand their work experiences. There is an education reimbursement program and usually a week of professional development at a conference relevant to your career.

Cons

The work mentality is to get it done in unusually short period of time at an exceptional quality, which adds to an atmosphere of stress.

10. Poorly managed

I worked at Fuss & O'Neill, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good group of people to work with for the most part, and the management does allow for good social interaction with your coworkers. The office environment was generally well furnished and technology was kept up to date.

Cons

Management is unwilling to pay the employees what they're worth despite billing rates higher than their competitors. Benefits are also behind competitors with no 401k match, no bonuses for most employees, and minimal profit sharing.

11. A good place to work and grow

Current Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, CT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Manchester, CT

Pros

Fuss & O'Neill is a relatively large, multi-disciplinary engineering firm that has managed to keep most of it's small company feel. They have a very active employee committee that organizes a of host of extra-curricular activities. The variety of projects allow engineers to explore different interest areas.

Cons

Located in Manchester, CT; not an ideal location!

Advice to Management

Look for ways to trim overhead so that we are more price-competitive with our competition.

RSS Feed </> Embed