Future Electronics

Updated Jun 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Miller

Pros:
  • "Strong technical team across the board makes it an excellent place to learn and excel"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Stable job, room to grow, overall great people and senior leadership"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "not flexible at all, micro management, crazy amount of work"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Senior management gives no direction and they don't communicate very well"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Old School time for change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPrivately Own company which could be one of the best if they would get out of the 1980's attitude and realize we are in a mature industry now and it is time for change

ConsNo trust in employee's, try and run everything from a desk in Montreal, No team concept, Used car sales men attitude, inexperence marketers, not in-touch with customers goals, this is not the stock market where you buy low sell high.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 2012 not 1985!! There was a thing invented called the computer. Customers have changed the way they purchase their product, it's not like the old day's where you sit on the phone for an hour going through a BOM and if you had stock the order was yours. Price does come into play now because of the ability to see stock world wide. Customers tend to shy away from doing business with Future because it's not easy to place an order with them. There are at least 5 calls to try an place an order, what's your target, what elese do you have, etc. Young buyers today in the industry just want to place orders and hate coming to Future and talking for 20 mins about a 1k order. Where is "Delight the customer" every company needs to make money, but customers will go to the ease of doing business with someone. Whats the old saying" You buy from people you like" There is a reason Future has been stuck at Number 3 disty. Take a look at your competition strengths and ask yourself, what are they doing different that works for them? Maybe they quote better upfront, we all know it's not the terms. This could be a company that could dominate, there are a lot of good people that work here, I wonder why when people leave for our competition they excell there. Was it really the person that was bad or the system they were working in? Strategies change on a daliy bases, if it's not working, try something new with your customer's. Same can be said for a company!!!!!!

Stay no more than 1-2 years and then run,don't walk!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscafeteria, gym, fast-paced environment.
    career advancement opportunities

ConsOpportunities for advancement are good unless your progress is blocked by a primadona boss.
    Too much of a jock culture and certainly a strong anti-intellectual strain within the organization. Environment is toxic.
    They're not looking for thinkers or visionaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementBest advice for you: go public and bring in a professional management team. You have too many inexperienced people at the helm.

Avoid this company - They are NOT good to work for

FAE (Former Employee)

ProsThere are no Pros that I can think of.
    The only Pro I had was leaving them and getting a job at a company that treats you like a human being.

ConsThey promise advancement and pay rises, and after being there for 2 years discovered that is a lie because after talking to other staff in the branch I worked at I found out that some had not had a pay rise in 10 years, but many had pay cuts or consistent rearranging of pay structures, which result in pay cuts (Especially sales).

If you are traveling in the field as a sales person or engineer you have to pay for everything (Rental cars, personal meals, hotel, customer meals, fuel etc) out of your own pocket (Flights are only thing they cover) and then if you are lucky they might refund you a month or three down the line, this can easily be a $2000 to $3000 bill per month and they will not pay the interest that your credit card charges.

If you are on a MBO plan they change your targets at the end of the quarter to make it hard or impossible to achieve... MBO's could be 25% to 30% of your income package.

Being ONLY allowed to do air travel outside of work hours can mean your work days starts at 3am and finishes at 11pm. This seriously sucks and adds major stress to family life.

The amount of paperwork and reporting they require is obscene and restricts you from doing your job effectively, then they complain that you are not doing enough customer visits!
    Found out recently that they have to report in each morning and then file reports at the end of the day... .basically 2 hours every day just doing paper work.... and they expect you to visit a minimum of 3 to 5 customers at their sites every day, which could be a 2 to 3 hour drive away.
    They turn around and complain that you are not achieving your goals but have no clue that they are the ones that are restricting you from achieving them!

Management treats you as an expendable asset not a person.

When you try to leave they will try to block you from going to any competition or an supplier on their line card, which is actually illegal, if they do that then sue them.

Do not be fooled by the promises they make in your interviews they will not come true.
    If you are thinking about it, go somewhere else, if you are still there, get out.

There policy is "Future First" - Family, religion, heath are very low down on Futures list of priorities.

The best thing I did was quit and get another job.... I took a pay cut to go else ware but I have more money in the bank and less stress, and am much better off... oh and actually got pay raises!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be anal, treat your staff like people instead of numbers!
    Give your staff purchasing cards if they are traveling!
    Reduce the stupid amounts of reporting and paperwork so they can get on with their job.
    Be realistic with MBO goals Set them in the first week of the quarter and DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!
    Allow air travel during work hours as the staff are technically working, or compensate them for the extra hours if they travel outside of work hours.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Run

Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)

ProsOn site nurse, gym (outdated), cafeteria (expensive and not fresh), dry cleaner. If you have the right manager, you can learn a lot.

ConsExtremely stressful environment, politics, rampant nepotism. There have been layoffs despite what some may believe. It's a work until you drop atmosphere which will either make you or break you. Most likely the latter. Turnover is very high

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back raises instead of the little feel good events. Appreciating your employees isn't about a free lunch, it's about proper compensation and workloads.

Techenical Solution Manager

Prosforeign company - make some various experience

ConsLow salary & Hard working

Advice to Senior ManagementPls share your profit

Could be a good company

Strategic Account Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe most knowledgeable people in the industry. The environment is fast paced but in a good way.

ConsDon't work here unless you like NEPOTISM!!! This place is patheic when it comes to playing favourites. Only friends of the managers get ahead and the managers get away with doing whatever they want. Examples: Hiring their friends because they can, moving large accounts to their friends, arriving late and leaving early.... The list goes on and on. The president says be open, let me know when an employee is being dishonest. Oh really? I did exactly that and nothing happened. I quit here when I just could not stomach the unethical behaviour of my manager any longer.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees! Get in touch, get a clue.

position

Prosif you can get to the management level, you will get better opportunities to know the strategies.

Cons8hours + 1 hour lunch time

Good place to get into the semiconductor industry

ProsLearn to work effectively and communicate with coworkers

Conssometime can be really stressful

Future, no Future, stay away if you have option

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEasy to get in, maybe due to the high turn over.

ConsNo recognition, no middle management - because they have no authority and power to make decision, high stress environment, employee overtime with no compensation, ass kisser environment... etc etc..

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of good managers left or fired, so really, advice to the management - I meant owner here, is to keep the real mid/senior management instead of only inner circle of Millers.

Review

Key Accounts Manager (Current Employee)
    New Delhi (India)

ProsIf you are passionate for Sales....this is the company for you.

ConsVery much system oriented company.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo Win more business we need to be more customer centric.

Worked for Future Electronics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Future Electronics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Future Electronics CEO Robert Miller. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Future Electronics employees.