Future Electronics

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Robert Miller

Pros
  • Strong technical team across the board makes it an excellent place to learn and excel(in 4 reviews)

• Stable job, room to grow, overall great people and senior leadership(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • not flexible at all, micro management, crazy amount of work(in 8 reviews)

• Senior management gives no direction and they don't communicate very well(in 6 reviews)

Future Electronics was a wonderful company to work for

Division Manager/Regional Manager (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsFuture taught a different was of servicing the customer that at the time was unique in the Electronic Distribution Field. The owner (Robert Miller) cared passionatley about his people and the customers Future served.

ConsThe cons weren't with the company as much as they were with the fast pace of the nature of the industry. Anytime you are selling or providing a service that is different than everyone else, there is always a stress point until you understand the program.

Why does Future keep losing lines?????

SAM (Former Employee)

ProsIt is hard to think of any, but building relationship's with co-workers

ConsWhere to start??
    No direction from upper management
    Sell lines where upper management has most stock in
    Weak line card, losing major lines left and right
    Bad image with in the industry
    Lack of experience with managers
    Everyone is out for themselves, no TEAM concept what so ever
    Marketing has no idea how to quote a customer, they just try get their GP with out communicating with other marketer's. Meaning they quote by line, not total package. Sales knows our customer's has we interact everyday with them. To marketer's they are just a number.
    The quote high and try and get last look on everything is a joke. You know what you're winning business at, so just quote that price. Our competition INS team can see what they are winning business at and losing business at and quote according. They Also, do it FAST.
    There are at least 10 different promo's going at one time, how can you keep up with that?
    Not enough selling tool's for the field to help sell to customer's. Everyone just wants a BOM to quote, just a waist a time. I bet our success rate is below 20% on each quote.
    Can think of a market where Future is at least 20% of the DTAM in that market.
    A lot of people have never worked at another disty, so they think the Future way is the only way. If you poll the people, I bet most would say they are here for a pay check and waiting for something to change to get a little passion back in the company.
    I can't count how many times I have walked into a customer walk in with bad news that someone messed up and your order was shipped to another customer.
    When a customer say's to you.. What does your INS rep do??? They have someone quote for them, Someone enter orders, Someone expedite for them, and I am just finding out the day my order was to ship that's it not.. How do you answer that???? Stop training on how great future is, and start training on sending open order reports, crossing parts, how to do a qbr in front of a customer, how customer's business models work what they are looking for, how supply chain works (TAC), I'm sure 75% of the people have no idea what TAC means and how it works.
    Give the GM the power to make a decision on the spot, it's embarrassing when you have to walk out of a meeting and say, I will check on that for you. Maybe if you had a true P&L for each branch and paid the GM's off that, you would see Free shipping drop, expenses go down, RMA's slow up. GM's would pick the right customer's and get the right people working for them if it was hitting their pocket. Oh yeah, Pay them off GP dollars and watch the GP inch upward.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou better change the moral of this company, as you know people are starting to leave left and right and just bad mouthing Future with everyone. Future's Image is know as a big broker in the industry and we all know you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The company is great success story, and Robert is true success story. I would hate to see this all go away over stupid little internal changes that can be made to boost moral and get passion back in the people. Think about it.. When someone leaves the company, you're starting at square one again, a CEO once told me, when you switch a sales person on a account, you can take 30% of your business and throw it out the window. Your competition is all over..

Laughable Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are no pros for this company.

ConsCan't keep a strong line card. Management has a broker mindset.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey wouldn't hear if you spoke. Their heads are too far........

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Salary discrimination - women make less then men

Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsRelationships with customers
    Fun challenge to find solutions for customers

Cons- Salary discrimination - women make less for same work
    - Non-compete - Once you are there you cannot just move to a competitor - local or not - for more money.
    - Branch office - relatively no room for local advancement. Would need to move to corporate HQ in Montreal. Need to be fluent in French to work in Montreal.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide equal pay for equal work.
    Encourage flexwork

sales former employee soso not

Marketing (Current Employee) Bolton, MA

Prosfast paced always busy,good training program

Conslow pay, high pressure, long hours

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

it's a job, better than nothing

Proslarge distributor, good technical resources

Consdictator/big brother type corporate culture with micromanagement

These past 10 years have been a great growing experience. There are many different ways to grow here.

Advanced Engineer (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsLots of different options for growth.

ConsLong hours, super high interupt rate, but all good practice for self-training.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep engineers by more consistant messaging, simpler and clearer metrics.

No communication from management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Bolton, MA

ProsEasy commute.
    Cafeteria and gym on site.
    Free parking.
    Young work staff.
    Working with other HQ in Quebec and US/oversea affiliates.

ConsSenior management gives no direction and they don't communicate very well.
    No compensation for working overtime, which is expected from accounting staff.
    Office politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to lighten up and let workers think outside the box.
    Raises should be based on merit.
    Casual attire would be nice.

great place to work

Product Specialist (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

Proscarreer advancement, great senior Managers, can voice your opinion

Conslong work hours but it is worth it

Advice to Senior Managementkeep working with lower level employess to improve there carreers

Future Electronics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsGreat training in business, great opportunity to develop your own customer relations and test sales techniques. Good IT and business systems.

ConsNo room for advancement, Disposable attitude from Senior management towards the field sales group. Top down information flow no comments from field are tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither praise the field for their diligent work or migrate to an internet sales model.

Worked for Future Electronics? Contribute to the Community!