Future Shop Reviews

Updated October 14, 2014
Updated October 14, 2014
3.3

Ron Wilson

Pros
  • nice work environment, good commission structure (in 15 reviews)

• most of the staff were good people ad they liked to party (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of pressure to sell their warranty (in 6 reviews)

• Job security and wages are the big down sides at this company (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Enjoyable as a kid, but high turnover rate and changing structure dampened experience

Former Employee - Product Expert in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - Product Expert in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at Future Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When i worked there, the commission structure was fantastic

Cons

company moving in a poor direction

Zero job security, everyone disposable, profit and personal politics over people, betrayal.

Former Employee - Agent Level II
    Former Employee - Agent Level II

I worked at Future Shop full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is on time, nice discount, worker level colleagues great, good health/dental.

Working at Best Buy headquarters at Burnaby (owners of future shop ) better than working at store level. Ethics and atmosphere more mature.

Cons

As the 'renew blue' and 'renew red' cost cutting and job shedding measures continue to try and get Best Buy back to good profitability bite, successive waves of job losses over the last 4yrs have left staff morale low and fear of losing jobs at a high.

Staff are now hired as to how cheap they will be, especially at installer level.

Zero job security, as seniority and pay level rises over time, they cap it at $20ph for home installers and then 1% cost of living a year, waves of terminations every year as they get rid of higher earning installers and middle management to hire cheaper kids just out of high school. A year or so passes and the cycle starts again.

Salesman sharking and selling the customer whatever is good for best commission rather than what's best for the customer is rampant.

Experience overall depends on management and store, if you get a nice set and you 'gel' life is good, if you don't gel and you're face doesn't fit with that manager, you will be "terminated without cause". It doesn't matter how skilled you are or how much your customers love you.

Beware a two faced backstabbing management team, because if you are unlucky to get a manager that doesn't like being disagreed with on a fair or valid point, you will be frozen out.

If the manager wants to get rid of you because he personally doesn't like you, even if your job performance is immaculate and clients love you, he/she will. All the power is with them, head office isn't involved, there is an ethicspoint.com appeal process but don't bother. Officially there's a zero retaliation policy but if you kick up a fuss over being let go they will find an excuse not to re hire you. Future Shop/best buy don't walk the talk when it comes to ethics and morality. You are a number.

Don't give Future Shop/Best Buy any loyalty, be it employment or custom, they won't show any to you.

Overhaul the termination process. Make it hard for management to terminate without cause hardworking, honest staff and installers where their customers and clients love them. Stop the petty personality politics, hire and retain on merit, experience and integrity, not firing people like above who start earning too much, and replacing them with school kids who will take $9ph.

Customers are noticing.

Never again

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond Hill, GA

I worked at Future Shop full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Made some good friends that I still keep. They have helped me through a lot of things that I've had to face- but never alone

Cons

Horrible place to work!
    Horrible management!
    Horrible upper management team!
    They don't care about the employees but only about the money
    Especially the one on tinge and 16th- the way the store is managed is bad.
    Felt nothing better for myself came out of it and didn't feel appreciated even after everything I did for them.

Get you racy together and become real managers
    Either that or quit because you're making people hate you and the company and making themselves feel like they have little worth.

Decent for part time work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Future Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seasonality and consumer buying patterns can lead to good months making over $4,500/month. Fairly easy job for the most part.

Cons

Sales associates are bottom feeders to the organization, and for the most part, there is a lot of micro-managing on the floor. Low autonomy. Not enough monthly profit sharing in regards to sales targets. Recently change commission structure

While I gained lots of experience, the work culture isn't worth it.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Future Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Experience, pay, commission, time-off policies, employee discounts

Cons

Angry customers, angry co-workers, disorganized management

Get more organized. Conduct more meetings with new management. Make sure schedules are updated correctly. Improve work culture.

giood

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Future Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

nice work environment, good commission structure
    friendly
    good pay
    flexible
    multi-products

Cons

no benefits
    low employee discount
    bad management

Good company, but

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Future Shop part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great deals for employes, good salary for a good sales people.

Cons

I was only part time employee and didn't get so many hours. Management told me to wait till Christmas.

good company

I worked at Future Shop

Pros

amazing salary if you can sell (commission-based)

Cons

very sales-oriented, do not appreciate new employee efforts though

focus more on training new employees

co-workers and mangers are friendly.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Richmond, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Future Shop part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Easy working environment.
    2. This is a entry level job. Easy for everyone to join; if you don't have much experience, you can consider to work in Future Shop.

Cons

1. To be a sales, some will make money but most are not. especially most of products are giving low commission. If you want to make many, you have to sell many product plans.
    2. The company is downside; many employees are laid off. You don't feel stabilize.Or you don't get many hours to work.
    3. Be prepare that co-works still sales each others sometimes. but you cannot blame them, because customers are not loyalty to salesmen.

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Cellshop/Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Cellshop/Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Future Shop full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of pros about this company. I started at customer service, and you learn a lot. You learn a lot of problem solving and you develop your interpersonal skills. After 3 years of customer service they wanted me to move to sales, so I moved about a year ago to cellshop. I never knew sales was my thing but I've grown so much! I'm top 10% in COE and it's very rewarding. I got promoted to manager after only a few months of selling. I now do both, which can be challenging but it's also amazing. I'm still maintaining top 10% in coe while also managing the floor on some days. I've learnt a lot about sales and also learnt a lot about being a manager and the responsibilities. The other mangers are very encouraging and helpful.

Great team spirit. I'm very goal oriented so when I have a challenge infront of me I strive to achieve. I guess that's why sales isint for everybody. They say Futureshop pushes for results and sales... But at the end of the day it's still a company who wants to be profitable, and they need those goal oriented people. So if you think it's a lot, sales probably isn't for you.

I think there is a lot of potential to move up in the company if your good. Also the salaries are amazing! Yea the base is average. But you should never look at that. When you work in sales you make your own salary. I'm going to make 50K this year being a sales consultant. Where as the next person can make 25K.

Again, it all depends on how driven you are to be the best!

So overall, Futureshop is an amazing place to work, I love my job :)

Cons

I don't have anything bad to day

None