Future US

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rachelle Considine

Love the people, but they lack a big picture plan

I have been working at Future US full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat, talented people work here. They're passionate about what they do. Laid back office atmosphere. Open door policy.

ConsLack of any type of plan from upper management. It's like being on a ship without a captain. They're laying off people left and right without any consideration for anyone. The office morale is awful.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the layoffs. Invest in the people that got you here.

Company is trying to find its way in the digital media space

I have been working at Future US full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEditorial teams are passionate about their content areas, whether gaming, tech, or crafts. They are extremely knowledgeable and produce great content. Also, the engineers are smart and highly capable.

ConsThe UK leadership doesn't understand the US market and seems to be behind market trends in general. Consequently, a strategic vision falls short and is unsustained, more reactionary and playing catch-up. The company is having a difficult time transitioning from print magazines to digital content. There have been a series of layoffs to adjust the resource mix, but there needs to be more of an idea of where things are to head. Finally, the sales team is more concerned with closing small immediate deals than with building major lucrative accounts. There needs to be more unification of goals among sales, editorial, and product teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more unification of goals among sales, editorial, and product teams.

Fun place to work.

I worked at Future US

ProsGreat environment and fun place to work. Not any real office politics.People like to work hard and play hard. Great kicked back office environment. Open minded and liberal employees for the most part.

ConsMagazines are dying but they're doing well with content and some of the digital properties. Have had layoffs because the company was so heavily magazine focused.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Craven, incompetent UK overlords bowing to institutional investors have killed this company

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Future US full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFuture US still retains a small handful of people who are creative and maintain professional/editorial integrity. Salaries are in line with the rest of the tech media industry, though if that's a "pro," I'm stretching the definition. At the best of times, the Future US work environment was loose, casual and fun. This helped compensate for the overall feeling of dread and contempt employees felt about the company.

ConsI worked at Future US for more than a decade, rose up the management chain, and quit when it became clear the UK-based leadership was incapable of making a successful transition from print magazines to online. The company seems to believe that digital magazines will be its salvation--which defies all conventional wisdom about the future of games, tech and enthusiast media. Digital magazine editions do nothing more than bandage print magazine wounds. They're an exit strategy. Not a growth strategy.

The most fatal series of decisions involved the UK leadership pouring investment into internationalized online start-ups (Gamesradar, Techradar) instead of helping established US-based magazine brands (Official Xbox Magazine, PC Gamer, Maximum PC and Maclife) make the transition from print to web. The two "radar" properties have zero name recognition in the US market, and employ some of the most craven strategies you'll find online to monetize content. They blur the lines between advertising and editorial, and use obscene search-engine tricks to garner page clicks. The two radars may eek out revenue for the UK parent company, but they will never be major players with their current content plans.

Meanwhile, the magazine brands have been gutted, and so the world watches to see these once-proud brands fade off into nothingness. Future would call this putting a brand into "maintenance mode": not investing, grabbing what revenue it can, and waiting for a war of attrition to come to an end.

Other cons: Incompetent US management (though it appears they have all been sacked, and the UK runs everything now). Widespread employee contempt for the company. A building location in the middle of nowhere, accessible only by car and shuttle, and miles away from San Francisco's thriving games and tech media center. Finally, the company has zero name recognition. It means nothing on a resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the company private again. Future has no business being a public company, making short-sighted decisions to appease institutional investors.

Great benefits, declining culture, lack of leadership from the UK

Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Future US full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat healthcare, dental benefits. Decent work environment. Fun people to work with. Nice balance of work & life.

ConsHad a great company culture going for a while, but the US branch of the company just kept downsizing. Majority of leadership (and business) is based in the UK, and a lack of communication made it feel like we never really knew where we stood during hard & challenging times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it's tough times in print, but make sure your employees feel empowered.

Great team, but communication challenges with the parent company

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Future US full-time

ProsThe caliber of talent at Future US was truly impressive, and in general people came to the table with a desire to work hard and provide value, both to their readers and corporate clients.

ConsAs the US division of a UK parent company, coordination and communication with stakeholders was inconsistent at best and often problematic, leading to a lack of clarity around goals and priorities.

Talented creative people- "flip/flop" strategy and lots of restructuring

I worked at Future US

ProsDynamic and creative people who know their craft and are passionate about what they do. Strong presence in the gaming and technology verticals for audience marketing.

ConsLack of focus. Management team in US is directed by the parent company in London, UK office. Constant restructuring between the business units

If only I could give a negative star

Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at Future US full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI finally came to my senses and left the company. You don't know how bad it really is until you're gone.

ConsSheer lack of direction. Lack of business.
Titles close monthly. No joke. Print is dying and Future was too slow to get it. No digital business. Layoffs happening.
I'd point out there is ZERO marketing done for future. Nobody knows who the company is nor any of their 'titles'. But the reality is, there's nothing to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I were an investor or share holder I'd look to hold SOMEONE accountable. Future management team is like the blind leading the blind. You can only sell food truck sponsorships so many times. It's old. Move on.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee)
South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Future US full-time for more than a year

ProsAwesome people, flexible hours. Ability to experience fun events and help make a difference in terms of overall company growth.

ConsLocation, lack of leadership in some management positions, company constantly seems in flux with a lack of direction

Editor At A Loss For Words

Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Future US full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy pay checks haven't bounced yet.
The work/life balance is great because nobody around me works all that hard. Nobody is here after 5:30pm so I'm able to get home to my family. That's great!

ConsWhere to start?
Total lack of direction.
Management is awful (see above).
Team doesn't have cutting edge ideas. Same thing over and over. How many times can you pitch a food truck idea? We are on #327.
No marketing done so when I tell people where I work they have no idea who we are or what we do. They've never even heard of many of our "big" titles and frankly that's no surprise because who buys magazines now days? And we aren't doing squat in the digital space. I'm here through the end of the year then I need to look for something else.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry leading the company!

Worked for Future US? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Future US reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Future US CEO Rachelle Considine . All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Future US employees.