FutureAdvisor Reviews

4.7
Bo Lu

1. Growing fast!

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Joined several months back and am realizing how much the company has already grown since then. The company continues to grow month over month, with new products and features frequently being added to our product. As an employee, this means plenty of opportunities to grow -- there are as many challenges as you'd like to take on. And the team is great -- down-to-earth, bright, hardworking people, and there's not a single soul on the wider team who I don't get along with (and I'm not usually one to feel like that!)

Cons

As with any startup, things change quickly and roles aren't etched in stone. So, it's good to be a self-starter and keep yourself on your toes.

Advice to Management

I love management's no-nonsense style, which makes me feel more secure about both mine and the company's future. All input is valued, and while leadership spends intelligently on the business where it's needed, they've so far avoided spending on silly startup things like designer office furniture and expensive tech gear (e.g. segways or fancy office chairs) for the founders just because. I love the scrappy, all-voices-matter environment!

2. Great place, great people

I worked at FutureAdvisor

Pros

Free food, often catered meals, open office, people who care about what they are doing, leaders who tell you what's going on

Cons

Open office, as a startup sometimes they sometimes lose focus

Great Startup with a lot to do

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great, interesting, problems to solve. Lots of work to do but you can see the impact of what you do. Employees care about the company, product and mission to help people with their finances.

Cons

Nothing blatantly wrong, since we are scaling fast I am sure there will be bumps in the road. But that is how startups are.

Advice to Management

Keep the team focused and make sure the long term mission is maintained.

Great people, great mission, great location, great benefits - and, it's being built to last!

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like many of us, i'm relatively new to FutureAdvisor, but in my 3 months here, I see the pros as: - Smart, humble, connected, and action-oriented co-workers. We get a lot done, and have fun doing it. - Strong leadership, with an emphasis on creating a great product, and fulfilling the worthy mission of providing convenient, and affordable financial services for the under served masses. They're also great about hiring smart people and giving them the freedom and flexibility to get the job done. - Great benefits (daily catered lunch, commuting dollars, Gym membership, happy hours, etc..)

Cons

I'm not seeing a lot of cons yet, but given that FutureAdvisor is still in the early days of establishing a major presence in the industry, I don't think this is the place for someone looking for a highly structured environment in an established organization.

Advice to Management

The organization is scaling fast, and they're doing a decent job of scaling the culture with it, but more could be done to bring everyone together as a team. It's a difficult thing to prioritize, but will pay off in the long term, in higher employee retention, and recruiting conversion rates. Other than that, keep on doing!

I was one of a few people who quit in a row...

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people were friendly enough, and there was always plenty of food around the office. Time off policy was ok. People definitely seemed to have the sense that they were doing something good by being part of fixing a broken financial system.

Cons

At the time I left the company, there wasn't a lot of direction around where the product was going, and projects kept getting cancelled part way through. Several people quit around when I did. They paid on the very low end of market rate and I got the impression from talking to my coworkers that nobody who asked for a raise got one.

FutureAdvisor Response

Aug 13, 2014 – Head of Recruiting

A year in the life of a startup is a decade in the life of a large corporation. Many things change in that time, and startup reviews quickly become dated. While this reviewer is listed as current ... More

7. I wouldn't work anywhere else

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

FutureAdvisor is a fast-growing startup in SF. A dev or designer who wants to work on an important product and get experience with a high-growth startup would learn a lot here. Everybody is given as much responsibility as they can handle, and then an ounce more. It makes you grow. The people are nice. The co-founders are really smart.

Cons

There is *so much* to do. Some days the hours are long. The company found its product-market fit about 10 months ago, and now it's struggling to process all the demand. So some things slip through the cracks. And you end up working some evenings and weekends. Luckily, you're with good people.

Advice to Management

Management should start moving faster on hiring. This company is growing too fast, and the present staff is overwhelmed. They should also allow people to work remotely. Right now everyone has to work in their offices in SF.

RSS Feed </> Embed