FutureAdvisor

Updated September 8, 2014
4.5

Bo Lu
1 Rating

Great Startup with a lot to do

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great, interesting, problems to solve. Lots of work to do but you can see the impact of what you do. Employees care about the company, product and mission to help people with their finances.

Cons

Nothing blatantly wrong, since we are scaling fast I am sure there will be bumps in the road. But that is how startups are.

Keep the team focused and make sure the long term mission is maintained.

Great people, great mission, great location, great benefits - and, it's being built to last!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like many of us, i'm relatively new to FutureAdvisor, but in my 3 months here, I see the pros as:
     - Smart, humble, connected, and action-oriented co-workers. We get a lot done, and have fun doing it.
     - Strong leadership, with an emphasis on creating a great product, and fulfilling the worthy mission of providing convenient, and affordable financial services for the under served masses. They're also great about hiring smart people and giving them the freedom and flexibility to get the job done.
     - Great benefits (daily catered lunch, commuting dollars, Gym membership, happy hours, etc..)

Cons

I'm not seeing a lot of cons yet, but given that FutureAdvisor is still in the early days of establishing a major presence in the industry, I don't think this is the place for someone looking for a highly structured environment in an established organization.

The organization is scaling fast, and they're doing a decent job of scaling the culture with it, but more could be done to bring everyone together as a team. It's a difficult thing to prioritize, but will pay off in the long term, in higher employee retention, and recruiting conversion rates.
    Other than that, keep on doing!

I was one of a few people who quit in a row...

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were friendly enough, and there was always plenty of food around the office. Time off policy was ok. People definitely seemed to have the sense that they were doing something good by being part of fixing a broken financial system.

Cons

At the time I left the company, there wasn't a lot of direction around where the product was going, and projects kept getting cancelled part way through. Several people quit around when I did. They paid on the very low end of market rate and I got the impression from talking to my coworkers that nobody who asked for a raise got one.

FutureAdvisor Response

Aug 13, 2014Head of Recruiting

A year in the life of a startup is a decade in the life of a large corporation. Many things change in that time, and startup reviews quickly become dated. While this reviewer is listed as current ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wouldn't work anywhere else

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at FutureAdvisor full-time for more than a year

Pros

FutureAdvisor is a fast-growing startup in SF. A dev or designer who wants to work on an important product and get experience with a high-growth startup would learn a lot here. Everybody is given as much responsibility as they can handle, and then an ounce more. It makes you grow. The people are nice. The co-founders are really smart.

Cons

There is *so much* to do. Some days the hours are long. The company found its product-market fit about 10 months ago, and now it's struggling to process all the demand. So some things slip through the cracks. And you end up working some evenings and weekends. Luckily, you're with good people.

Management should start moving faster on hiring. This company is growing too fast, and the present staff is overwhelmed. They should also allow people to work remotely. Right now everyone has to work in their offices in SF.

Worked for FutureAdvisor? Contribute to the Community!