Futurestep

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
2.9

Byrne K. Mulrooney

Pros
  • Work life balance is supported with myself and a number of others doing 3 or 4 days per week (in 6 reviews)

• Good client base, you think they would pay employees more (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • There can often be too much work and therefore not a great work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Low salary based on the amount of work that is dumped on you (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company overall, professional environment, many layers of management.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Futurestep full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, great benefits, 401K.

Cons

Did not pay bonus when i hit my targets, which was the main reason I departed.

Pay the bonus if your employees hit their numbers.

They will sell you the dream, but....

Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Futurestep full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Exposure to Fortune 500 companies, time off at Christmas for full time employees, wide assortment of K-Cups, discounted snacks in the machine.

Cons

Serious pay discrepancies, staff is mainly unprofessional contractors, no upward movement, they do not promote within, limited ability to work from home, limited pay increases, preach about opportunities but ignore you if you want to advance, Non-minority employees are paid more and given more opportunities regardless of experience or education.

Put more of an effort to retain employees who contribute. You talk about growth, yet pay peanuts. You will never have long term employees this way.

An awesome place to work with a great salary!

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Futurestep full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership is willing to help teach, many projects going on at once

Cons

Office culture fluctuates- high turnover rate

Good company with typical issues

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Futurestep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were extremely dedicated and very intelligent people at the firm. Most search engagements involved very well-known clients. Comfortable and professional office atmosphere. Unlike most other search firms I've worked at, we never wanted for anything in terms of resources.

Cons

At the time, most of Futurestep's research team were located in India and many on the team seemed less than well-versed in Western corporate architecture. The firm was also quite top-heavy, which both created opportunities for higher management to blame failures on subordinates and possibly siphoned payroll away from more competent mid-level staffers. Frequently the sales team seemed so intent on pursuing engagements, service delivery staff had to backtrack with clients so we weren't faced with an impossible search for a nonexistent candidate.

Promotion from within and more training for mid-level employees would have improved my experience. Overall a very solid experience, however.

Good processes, good brand name, they land some great clients and projects

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Futurestep full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good processes in place, talented recruiters, any reasonable resource needed is provided.

Cons

Dont treat their people well, make cuts based on short term firm performance, and most of their intellectual capital goes out the door with them when they leave.

Take better care of your most productive employees, don't cut your staff based on one quarter's results, and weather the storm a little more before letting your senior people go.

Do Not Work Here!!

I have been working at Futurestep

Pros

Colleagues. Pay wouldn't be bad if one wasn't forced to work 12+ hours every day non-stop.

Cons

I'm leaving this company as fast as I can find another job. All work, no play and no appreciation. Tremendous amount of pressure every day and it never ends. No raises and small bonus pay outs. The work load is not doable.

Quit burning out your good employees for greed. Do you ever learn?

Failing Fast

Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Futurestep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Peers are wonderful people to be around

Cons

Don't know where to start. Left for a better opportunity, and feel sad for the people who are still there. Management is horrible and picks favorites. The favorites also turn out to be the people who get promoted and do the least amount of work in the company. There is no real room for advancement, and are completely unorganized. Like others have written, they spend hours upon hours with their doors closed talking about co-workers instead of recognizing their hard work and efforts. Don't trust what they are selling.

Work on professionalism, and integrity. People are leaving in the masses because they are underpaid and undervalued.

Lousy Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Futurestep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great location in Addison, TX. Plenty of bars and restaurants. Employees are generally good people with the exception of a few snakes thrown in. Good benefits.

Cons

First of all, I am not what you call a disgruntled employee. I was not fired and left on my own terms. I found a better job paying way more than Futurestep would ever pay me. If you're looking for income based on experience and to be paid what you're worth then keep looking. The pay is low compared to other companies in the industry. This is also not Korn/Ferry which is very unfortunate. There are recruiters, recruiting coordinators, talent acquisition specialists, sourcing specialists and search associates. You work on projects as a team or independently. The management team is horrible. They will speak down to you and will be rude. They play favorites and talk behind employees backs and laugh at them in their offices. They are not available because their doors are always closed. If your a favorite brownnoser then you can get their time and spend hours behind closed doors with them. If you have questions then you just have to wait or find someone else to ask. This makes it difficult when a team lead has been fired and you have noone to go to and are constantly told to ask your pm. Certain employees will report back to management anything they say or hear just to get ahead. If I am working on a project I do not need another talent acquisition specialist bossing me around and trying to make me look bad so they can look good to management. I had employees talk down to me and be so aggressive that I no longer could deal with it. My ideas were stolen and believed to be theirs. This is not someone that you put in any kind of lead role. What's awful is that this employee wasn't even in a lead role or a management role. They just thought they were and management created a monster and continues to let them act like a monster. I got tired of never getting any recognition or attention for any of my hard work. Too much moving around from project to project and being treated like dirt by other employees that wanted to get ahead at the expense of others. The environment is no better than kindergarten. I was able to move into a better situation and be appreciated while earning great money which I deserve. I have an actual job that is drama free and work with people that want to help and see me succeed and not fail. I wish I had learned more at Futurestep but it is a time that I regret spending

Think about how you look to everyone else. Lead by example and treat all employees as equal. Do not allow a few people to poison a work experience for all the rest. If Futurestep was a great place to work then why do people keep leaving. Good people like myself have left because of all the same issues. Offer better opportunities to advance or let employees grow in the company. Aggresive demanding and bossy people have no place acting as management when they're not. Employees don't respect these types of people and it causes bad feelings. Give your employees attention and talk to them and not at them.

On the "ups"!

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Futurestep full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance (remote options available), marquis clients, partnership with Korn-Ferry, Lominger tools, PDI, LTC, many different service options to have a diversified portfolio, supportive staff and team members, opportunity to work on a variety of projects. There have recently been a lot of changes re: vision, scope, leadership, etc. and it's finally making its way to all levels of the organization. Slow and steady...

Cons

Middle management still needs some improvement, but there seems to be a lot of work being done from the top down, which has already started to trickle into other levels.

Keep up the good work. The changes taking place are noticeable and the teams are finally getting stronger. The focus on internal advancement, "practicing what we preach", and building strong leadership is finally getting to a place where it should have been for years.

Worked for 2 years.

I worked at Futurestep full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were nice, friendly, and helpful and it was good to have a paycheck,

Cons

The management used intimidation as motivation.
    Team leads used public embarrassment as a training tool.
    There were no raises or bonuses.

Train your team leads to be supportive.
    Create training opportunities and offer career growth options..

Futurestep Photos