Futurestep
www.futurestep.com Los Angeles, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Futurestep Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Byrne K. Mulrooney

Pros:
  • "Work life balance is supported with myself and a number of others doing 3 or 4 days per week"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Brand name projects allow good visibility into Fortune 500 companies"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "There can often be too much work and therefore not a great work/life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Very poor management, co-ordination"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

FutureStep

Proslots of knowledge spread around. professional environment

Consover worked with low pay

Advice to Senior Managementevaluate roles and salary.

Very professional!

Talent Specialist (Current Employee)
    East Hanover, NJ

ProsWonderful culture, great people to work with, interesting scope of work, market salaries and work life balance- love working here- hope to make this my home.

ConsNone so far! Love the team and the scope of work.

Road that goes to nowhere

Dallas, TX

ProsGood client base, you think they would pay employees more
    Opportunities to work in various industries without being pigeon holed to recruit for one industry
    Good opportunity for experience
    Good opportunity to experience diversity
    Good insurance benefits

ConsSome of the challenges in working for this company are that the management is horrible
    Recently new management has taken over and things are worse than they were before
    Very low pay for type of work and amount of work
    No promotions or pay raise offered no matter how hard you work, but if you are friends with management, then you get better offers and promotions
    New management is so bad that good people are leaving and finding better jobs
    Very hostile and militant environment as of recently
    Willingness to step on others to get on top
    Empty promises by leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees better and pay them more, offer promotions to those that deserve it

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Associate

Research Associate (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work - life balance. Good entry level recruiting job.

ConsLow salary based on the amount of work that is dumped on you.

Agree with "Doing Time Behind Bars" Review

Houston, TX

ProsGood people and the pay is decent

ConsWhere to start??
    - Total pressure cooker and the hardest job I've ever had in my 20 years experience, with little satisfaction. A Thank You occasionally would be nice.
    - No work life balance, the job is expected to be done NO MATTER WHAT the hours you must put in. No OT is "allowed" and the salaried people are expected to be available 24/7.
    - Processes and structure are non-existent. I've reported to countless managers in the 5 years I've worked here.
    - No raises and a tiny bonus even when we keep hearing that business is great and we have tons of work to do - Yes, after working 60-70-80 hours a week.
    - Difficult clients and uninteresting, repetitive, entry level work. If that weren't bad enough almost every project is priced wrong and not enough people to do the job.
    - Turnover is high now that the job market is getting better. Good people are leaving and nothing changes
    - Glorified sweat shop tied to the Korn Ferry name.

Advice to Senior ManagementHistorically bad about listening to the people who do the real work. Got a churn and burn culture here and no one seems to care.

Good company

ProsCompany provides good work/life balance and considers your thoughts on change and growth opportunities. Direct supervisor is greatly knowledgeable of the market trends which assists her team in providing a high level of service.

ConsIn short, more structure is needed in order to keep up with the growth and direction of certain segments of the business. At some point, one has to wonder is quick growth is better than sustainable growth...

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage, engage, engage.... It seems as though they are pulled in too many directions at once and some times lose sight of the ultimate employer/employee relationship.

We need change and diversity as well as unity

ProsCompany provides great knowledge on different aspects of the industry. Futurestep is a social culture type of environment. Everyone is friendly and I do excellent work here. Company demonstrates interest in their employees knowledge and success rate. So no I am not writing this review because I am doing poorly or anything of that nature. I am just dissatisfied with the way upper management treats those on the floor. coordinators/Sourcers/ Recruiters/ minorities.

ConsJust like people are often friendly, they are also very phony. Seems like if you aren't kissing butt, chances of growth opportunity for you is very slim. Diversity on the floor is okay but what about the office? Not one black person is qualified enough to be placed in an office? really? There are lots of Michelle Obamas who needs to be acknowledged and rewarded that exist, it all goes back to kissing butt and faking it until you make it. Seems like behind the scenes, color blends with color regardless of where you are from. Team leads treating one coordinator different than another simply because one is a minority, while praising the other. You can be from Ukrain, heavy accent, not be qualified enough but because you are of the same color as management, you are immediately qualified and placed in an office. For blacks, it will reach a lifetime, sadly to say. Additionally, As a Sourcer, coordinator, you work your behind off but yet upper management will always return with a blame and pointing fingers. I witnessed a colleague inadvertently make one mistake and you bet recruiters and upper management was on her like white on rice. Upper management had once informed a (black)colleague that they will watch his every move since he was new to a new client. For whites, I am sure they never are told this. Disturbing to have to initiate this black and white conversation but we can not pretend as if it does not exist.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince everyone on here has refused to either state the truth or is completely oblivious to reality of Futurestep, shall I explain? There isn't enough diversity within management in the office where I work. It is 2014, lets place some blacks in the office. We are just as qualified, educated, highly competent but yet we see the same types in the office. Yes I am sure there is much diversity amongst you all but I see not one black person in an office, why is that? Diveristy Diversity Diversity! This is not 1943.

Also Management(Project leads and Recruiters) should acknowledge all the obstacles that coordinators and Sourcers experience, I mean genuinely understand before pointing fingers. Some fault may lie in our fellow recruiters who are so quick to blame but yet quit left and right.

I would not recommend working here for minorities. Not at all.

Market Leader

ProsGreat colleagues and lots of opportunity

ConsMore Pros than Cons working here

Need to learn to walk the talk

Recruiter (Former Employee)
    South Houston, TX

Pros- Good place to learn to recruit for different jobs and industries.
    - Opportunity to learn to work for managers who may not know enough about recruiting to provide competent management of projects/ searches/ RPOs and/or people.
    - Opportunity to work with virtual teams.
    - Opportunity to learn to work in an ever changing environment.
    - Global exposure via affiliation to Korn/Ferry.
    - Definitely the place to work to build tolerance for instability.

Cons- HR creates and tries to implement staff development tools that could be effective if they were taken seriously and used company-wide.
    - HR too often is not involved in employment decisions.
    - As with many companies, incompetent employees can work at Futurestep ad infinitum if they have friends in high places.
    - Sells solutions and advertises concepts that are not applied in-house.
    - Sales team brings in business that is approved by management regardless of the company's capacity to deliver.
    - Workforce planning and change management is done on the fly.
    - Inadequate tools that compete with each other instead of complementing each other.
    - Sourcers have insufficient and/or inadequate tools.
    - Very high turnover.
    - Departments compete against each other.
    - Employees are obviously dispensable.

Advice to Senior Management- Listen to lower ranks.
    - Examine why turn over is so high.
    - Evaluate managers' response to their employees' concerns.
    - Ensure the company walks the talk.

Great Company... in theory.

Team Leader (Current Employee)

Pros• Excellent reputation as a top-flight recruiting firm.
    • Very nimble organization that can change direction on a dime… and usually does.
    • Working virtually allows for flexibility and accommodation.
    • When you have access to senior leaders, you will find a WEALTH of knowledge and competence.

Cons• Inconsistency in project implementation. (to their credit, they have hired a team that is now overseeing implementation and that seems to be going well)
    • Frenetic management with very little oversight; underperformers can coast and get by leaving all the hard work to top-performers.
    • ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT! You will walk in with what you know and stay at that level if you do not take the initiative to learn on your own.
    • This company does not encourage it’s employees to be better at their jobs.
    • Bonuses are promised in your offer, but never paid.
    • You will NEVER be provided a merit increase no matter what your performance level is, so why bother is most people’s attitude.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a more cohesive team structure so that recruiters feel like they are actually a part of a team. Currently no one is really aligned to anyone.
    PAY BONUSES and provide merit increases; unless you really could care less how long people stay with your company.

Worked for Futurestep? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Futurestep reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Futurestep CEO Byrne K. Mulrooney. All 57 reviews posted anonymously by Futurestep employees.