Futurex Reviews

3.8
Brett Smith

1. Rewarding with Effort

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work ethic will determine if you advance within Futurex. Promotions and additional responsibilities are common within the company. Futurex is not a huge organization, so its easy to get noticed for your work.

Futurex is a company the challenges you intellectually to solve problems. You are allowed to take your own path to form a solution. I've learned more here at Futurex about programming, cryptography, networks, computer security, and related topics than I did in my 4 years in college.

Solutions Architects travel to customer locations (sometimes internationally) as needed for sales presentations, support meetings, and professional services. Futurex serves customers all over the world.

Cons

Again, Futurex is not a huge organization. While you be noticed for performing well, you will also be noticed for failing to perform. Futurex is not an organization where you can sit at your desk and browse Reddit all day.

Futurex has an almost "start-up" like culture. This can be stressful at times, and management is rapidly interviewing every week to meet demand.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting talented individuals, we are growing to quickly to let up.

Better selection of Xbox/PS4 games in the break room would be nice.

Named Best Place to Work AGAIN!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So excited that our company wins these awards year after year! I love sharing this with my family and friends. I am proud to work for a management team that puts so much emphasis on creating a quality work environment for all of us.

Cons

I have no cons at this time. I really enjoy working at Futurex and look forward to the next year.

Advice to Management

I think the management needs to continue to improve the process of hiring new employees. Futurex is not for everyone.

Futurex named one of San Antonio’s “Best Places to Work” for the 7th year in a row!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just wanted to share here how excited I am that we’ve been selected again as one of the “Best Places to Work” in San Antonio. Seven years in a row is no coincidence, and this is something everyone on the team deserves to be very proud of. I feel like my talents are appreciated and important to the success of the organization, and I get to work alongside a group of fun, motivated, and committed people.

I’ve also seen a few “behind-the-scenes” things our company executives have done to help employees and their families who are going through tough times. That’s a true measure of our culture: a willingness to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

In short, I’m looking forward to spending the rest of my career with Futurex.

Cons

No company is perfect, but Futurex comes closer than anywhere I’ve ever worked, and I’ve had a chance to experience many different types of workplaces throughout my career.

Advice to Management

These independent surveys and distinctions are a true barometer of how we all feel about the company. We should continue to participate each year to highlight how truly great it is to work at Futurex.

Challenging but Rewarding

Current Employee - Technical and Content Marketing Specialist II in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Futurex

Pros

As a current employee who is very satisfied with her job, I feel that potential applicants looking over recent reviews deserve to see a different perspective of Futurex. As of next month, I will have been working on the marketing team at Futurex for 2 years. I enjoy what I do and take great pride in seeing my daily work have a substantial impact on the success of the company as a whole.

There are a lot of great things I could say about Futurex, but I’ll stick with highlighting a few:

1: All of the employees here are very much a close-knit group. I view my coworkers more as friends than acquaintances, and it’s not uncommon for many of us to hang out outside of work.

2: The skills and knowledge I have now compared to what I knew before working at Futurex are night and day. Marketing team members wear a lot of hats, which means I’m always working on something new and exciting.

3: Issues or complaints are promptly addressed, and Futurex has an open door policy that makes it easy to speak with management about any problems.

4: The work here is challenging, but it is rewarding. There’s no lack of recognition from management, including the CEO himself. The CEO is very much involved with the company, taking the time almost every week to meet with each department in person.

5: I’ve found that if you do your job well and continue to learn and improve with each project you work on, you can advance very quickly up the ranks at the company.

It is true that Futurex is growing very quickly and more employees are desperately needed. Management spends a great deal of time in interviewing potential employees and ensuring that the people they hire will fit well on the team and be able to handle the complex technology associated with our industry. The positive side of this rapid growth is that the opportunities for advancement are incredible! Futurex is by no means a perfect company, but the issues you’ll see at Futurex are the same ones you’ll find at any large company. The difference is that Futurex still has that startup feel where individual employees can benefit from rapid advancement and acknowledgement from management.

So to hesitant applicants, I encourage you to take a chance on Futurex; I’m confident you won’t regret the decision.

Cons

Futurex's technology is very complex, and as a result there is a steep learning curve. If you're looking for a job that is not challenging, Futurex probably isn't the best fit.

Advice to Management

This isn't so much advice as a thank you, but I appreciate your willingness to listen and help me succeed.

Poorly managed company that does not treat its employees with the respect they deserve

I have been working at Futurex full-time

Pros

This might be a good job if you are looking for a position as an engineer or software developer. They seem to all enjoy their jobs, and are treated the best out of all of the departments. Most of the developers are also hired straight out of college, so it would be a good place to get experience. Additionally, despite their shortcomings, Futurex does offer good health insurance benefits.

Cons

In terms of their technology and what they do in the market, Futurex is good at what it does. However, in terms of the way Futurex treats its employees, I would not recommend this company to anyone. It might be a good place for a newly graduated college student to get some good resume experience, but it is not a long-term career.

All of the negative reviews here are accurate, and the majority of the positive reviews are written by the hiring managers to improve the overall rating and image of the company. Futurex is a fairly small company – less than 60 employees – yet in the last two years, over 20 employees have been let go, even employees who had been in their positions for years. This makes even the best employees feel very unstable in their positions, which is not helped by the fact the management does not want employees talking about their recently terminated co-workers.

Marketing, the Solutions Architect Team, and administrative positions like accounting and customer service positions have the highest turnover rates. In many cases, the employees were let go because rather than hiring (desperately needed) additional staff to handle large workloads, these employees were given too much responsibility, and when they could not handle the work load, they were let go. Employees who left of their own free will did so because the company did not keep their promises to them. Promises included promotions, raises, sales commission compensations, and increases in staffing numbers. Futurex does not even have a Human Resources department, which is a bit of a red flag.

This company has no sense of professionalism or integrity. The CEO is also very unprofessional, and often uses meetings or gatherings as an opportunity to discuss his own entrepreneurial sense, vision, and past work experience, rather than using this time to encourage his employees. Additionally, most of the higher up positions, such as CFO, Accounting, and Business Development, are filled by the CEO’s children, leaving little room for other employees to advance.

There was one instance where one employee put in their two weeks’ notice after receiving a better job offer from another company. Within just a few hours of submitting their resignation, this employee was immediately told to leave the premise. That same day, at a company-wide meeting (the meeting was going to occur anyway; it was just a coincidence that this employee put in their notice that day) the CEO used the meeting as an opportunity to speak poorly of this employee in front of the whole company for leaving. He then proceeded to put down the company this employee had moved to.

Additionally, most of the managers at Futurex do not actually have any management experience. They are only managers because they have been with the company for multiple years. While these individuals may be good at what they do on the business side, such as marketing, sales, or business development, they are poor managers who do not understand how to properly manage other employees and create a positive work environment.

Although Futurex has won the “Best Places to Work” award several years in a row, I do not believe this is representative of the atmosphere at Futurex. The majority of the company is made up of Software Developers, who are one of the only satisfied departments within the company. Their positive responses outshine the negative responses from employees in other departments. Additionally, because the turnover rate is significantly higher in some departments than others, many of the positive responses given are from new employees who have only been with the company for a short amount of time and therefore write positive responses simply because they are happy to have found a job. However, many new employees, especially in new positions, don't make it past the 90 day mark, so I'd think seriously about leaving a stable job to come work at Futurex.

Advice to Management

Keep your promises to your employees, and focus on making your company a more welcoming atmosphere. Additionally, most of your positive reviews focus on the fact that your growth is double-digit each year. Use some of the money from this growth to hire the necessary staff to keep your company successful, instead of weighing down already overworked employees with even more work.

Apr 27, 2015Current Futurex Employee

As an individual who has been a part of this team and has worked closely with team members across all departments, I wholeheartedly disagree with the accusations made in this post and wanted to share ... More

Feeling unstable

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The campus is nice, although most of the offices are in portable modular type buildings which is a little crummy. The team is a great group of people, they are the favorite part of my job. The work is interesting and my immediate superiors are easy to work for. The pay is average, not better and not worse than you'd find elsewhere.

Cons

I've seen several good people let go by upper management with no advance counseling and for no apparent reason - devoted, intelligent, dependable employees. It happened again today, and I've been here long enough to see that this is a pattern. Every time it happens, an uneasy feeling of instability hits the staff. We are specifically not allowed to talk about it among ourselves, and you feel like no one is on solid ground here. It's very uncomfortable. I like working here but am looking for another job because I don't trust the management or human resources to make rational employment decisions about what's best for the company. If I'm going to leave I would rather it be on my own terms and with another job lined up.

Advice to Management

There is so much potential in this company. It's a shame that dedicated employees are so expendable. This is why I won't be staying.

Jan 24, 2015Current Futurex Employee

With the permission of management, I’m responding as a Futurex employee.

I believe this post originated from a disgruntled and divisive former employee who sat near me who, oddly, often used the
    ... More

Great place to make a career.

I have been working at Futurex full-time

Pros

Futurex is a fast growing company that has the stability and reputation of an established 33 year company, but the nimbleness of a start-up. After traveling for Futurex for many years, the unique work environment has become something I cherish and it makes me excited about coming into the office every day.

Cons

Be prepared for a fast paced environment. Those who crave this type of work environment will thrive.

Network Administrator

Former Employee - Network Administrator in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Network Administrator in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Futurex full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a whole lot..Location is 15 minutes north of San Antonio. Management somewhat polite.

Cons

Underpaid.
    Bad Location.
    Shady leadership.
    Horrible benefits.
    Instability. The company is very shady and seems they have much to hide. The job stability does not exist and being unsure of keeping job is normal.

Advice to Management

Try and gain some new perspective and change up the old school thought process.

Awesome job for an engineer

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Bulverde, TX
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Bulverde, TX

I have been working at Futurex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Futurex is an entrepreneurial company with an engineering focus. If you enjoy working in a face paced, growth environment where opportunities abound for the taking, then you will love working here. We work with state of the art technology and the largest names in business, on their top priority projects. We are all very well compensated for our efforts and the work environment is great. For me, this is a the best of all jobs I've had.

Cons

Futurex is not for everyone. We work hard and our technology is relatively complex. We also have a team oriented culture which requires better than average communication skills and a willingness to serve other fellow employees for the overall good of the company.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise the values and integrity upon which this great company was built. Stay true to the vision.

Jul 25, 2014Director of Product Marketing

Glad you're enjoying your experience so far, and thanks for taking the time to write! You make a very good point: individuals who appreciate and seek out high performance, high visibility ... More

NOT A GOOD PLACE TO WORK

I worked at Futurex

Pros

It is a nice campus in the hill country and the company is working on interesting technology. There are some very nice people that work there.

Cons

No job security. It seems like there is a lot of turnover due to quick emotional decisions. Management constantly changing decisions and direction of the company. Didn't receive a job description nor a good understanding of what I was responsible for. The campus is nice however the work spaces lack in ergonomics.

Advice to Management

If you are going to encourage someone to join your staff and boast what a great place to work Futurex is then invest in that person and give them the resources, empowerment, and time to be successful. It is huge commitment for someone in San Antonio to take a job in Bulverde just to be laid off shortly there after because management decided to do something a little different.

RSS Feed </> Embed