Futurity First Insurance Group

Updated January 30, 2015
Updated January 30, 2015
3.5

MIchael Kalen

Growing company with excellent career advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at Futurity First Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Futurity First for more than three years and I love the culture and opportunity for career advancement. Futurity offers me the opportunity to work with the "best of the best" in the insurance industry. Senior management lead by CEO Mike Kalen are very approachable and engaged with all levels of employees making for a strong team environment. If you enjoy a fast paced goal oriented work setting you would love Futurity First.

Cons

Annual bonuses are paid in March each year. I would like to see bonuses paid in January.

I would like to see more frequent coffee chats held with entire corporation. Currently the CEO holds these 30 minute company performance overviews about every quarter. I would like to see them held monthly with more emphasis on individual employee recognition.

Phenomenal workplace with extraordinary growth for staff

Pros

-Everyone is so friendly and easy to work with, great family feel!
    -Work load is always engaging and exciting, never a dull boring experience.
    -Lots of modern and next stage tools and software, great to be working with the latest and greatest!
    -Numerous parties and catered food, who doesn't love that! haha
    -CEO carries an open door policy so everyone is welcome to hop in and chat anytime.

Cons

They have a expression, one bad apple spoils the bunch. So what I will say is their have been a few employees that have worked here that just didn't fit in well with the culture, they would always come to work unhappy and complain. It did not take long for them to move on, but do not let these few skew your perspective on a great company!!!

Keep up the great work!!

Talented Advisors and Dedicated Staff

Current Employee - Corporate Management in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Management in Rocky Hill, CT

I have been working at Futurity First Insurance Group

Pros

The company has a very talented group of financial advisors. The group has grown in the last 3 years and I find the advisors to be very knowledgable and caring about their customers. The sales support and service team is hard working and talented and works to provide the advisors personalized servive with great effort and great care. It seems like a rare combination in an industry that is sometimes 'we/they'. The company promotes 15 client strategies to help customers protect and grow their assets during retirement. The company has done a good job pormoting from within in recent years,

Cons

As a new, small company, at times, we don't have all of the resources to do everyting needed. Employees are asked to take on new roles which can be challenging but also rewarding.

Stay the course.

Team Environment and Growth Company

Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Rocky Hill, CT
    Current Employee - Corporate Staff in Rocky Hill, CT

Pros

The company grew 32% this year and the advisors, managers and staff all shared in the success. Senior management seems to genuinely care about the company and the employees. The company has several ways to recognize the sales staff and support team.

Cons

I read the other review about McDonalds and I didn't take that as cheap. It was a nice and fun gesture on a day that the top sales staff was recognized.

Keep up the good work. I like it here

Stay Away

I worked at Futurity First Insurance Group

Pros

Not much, really, unless you enjoy substandard pay and a terrible work environment.

Cons

The company is very disorganized and poorly run. All you need to do is look at how many people have left over the years (and especially recently) and you'll see that it's not a place that can retain employees. There are many reasons for it - low pay is one, yes, but there's also a problem with the leadership. The CEO is outright dishonest and acts as the puppet master for unqualified people underneath him (because they can't afford to hire real leaders with real experience). If he's lucky enough to find someone who will be his puppet, he will work them into the ground with the promise of large rewards down the road. Sure, on paper it's growing and that's all the investment firm that owns it is interested in - more so because they are eagerly looking to sell it (and soon, with talks happening now). There is absolutely no investment in employees - none. No training, no monetary recognition and certainly no day-to-day pays on the back. The CEO's idea of a lunch to celebrate the end to a great year was sending someone out to McDonalds where a bunch of food was ordered off the dollar menu for everyone back at the office to share. It's like a bad joke you'd see on The Office - except it's real. And in order to combat the negative reviews that have been posted on here, he's directed the employees that remain to go on and put positive reviews. You can see them sprinkled in. This company is honestly one of those situations where if you didn't see it you might not believe it - and it's probably hard to believe that it could really be that bad. But I recommend not testing that theory by accepting a job here - you will regret it!

Like the movie office space

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at Futurity First Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Regarding the corporate office- The building has a cafeteria in it so you don't have to go far for lunch. Nothing about the company is very good at all.

Cons

The pay was substandard. The CEO was very obviously unconcerned about his employees in the corporate office. The branches are all disorganized. Place seems like it wont be lasting very long once the investors catch on.

Pack up and find a better job at a better insurance company somewhere else.

It's been a progressive positive experience at FFIG.

I have been working at Futurity First Insurance Group

Pros

Excellent selling relationships with the best investment and insurance companies around. Progressive attitude towards advancement. Rewards success. Great Branding. They have always had a great marketing team in place to help someone succeed.

Cons

Satelite offices suffer from lack of leadership and input. More of a personal "Con" than company one. They'll give you just enough freedom (Rope) to hang yourself with.

Look for those who want to advance up the ladder early... Don't let them get stagnant in what they are and what they are trying to accomplish.

Opportunities to grow and learn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rocky Hill, CT

I worked at Futurity First Insurance Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Futurity First in their corporate office was a great experience. Pleasant work environment, collaborative and creative company. It is clear that the company is going places... it has seen a lot of growth in the past couple of years which was exciting to be a part of. I felt I had a lot of opportunities to learn and grow while working there.

Cons

Not many to comment on - I left for personal reasons unrelated to the benefits or growth potential within the company. I would recommend the company highly.

Bad Work Environment

I worked at Futurity First Insurance Group full-time

Pros

Not a whole lot - most of the people I worked with were great but there was such a revolving door of good people leaving that you only knew them for a short time. The company vision is not a bad one - they just have the wrong leader at the helm.

Cons

No work/life balance, pay not in line with market or job responsibilities, dishonest CEO, constant tension between field offices, managers and CEO (most people don't trust him). It got so bad that a group of the field managers actually went to the board of directors to demand that the CEO be removed, or they would leave the company and take their agents with them. Yes, sure you get "promoted" and given tons more responsibility but no raise is given when you are - just the promise of one down the road when you "prove yourself" (and there's always an excuse about why they can't give it to you once you have proven yourself). Every dollar saved is a dollar in the CEO's bonus - this is how things are seen (and many people have actually heard him refer to his bonus and the impact that cutting costs will have on it). The retention rate is terrible at the home office - they should just prop the door open to accommodate the flood of people leaving.

Compensate your employees fairly - be honest with them because trust is absolutely necessary to be successful. When you have good people who want to help the company succeed, recognize that and reward it not only with fair pay, but with the acknowledgement that they are working hard and making a difference. Don't insult people by suddenly having money to throw at them when they have given notice. At that point, it's too late.

Nice place to learn the ropes

Former Employee - Licensed Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Licensed Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at Futurity First Insurance Group part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Access to a host of A-rated, household name carriers with vast portfolio of products. Home office puts forth great effort in training and keeping abreast of industry changes. Provide a firm, steady foundation for new agents. Effective lead programs.

Cons

Low commissions. Local management was biased, inconsistent and seemed to rarely follow through on his word. No organized [fun] events to promote agent interaction or intermingling, in the office or after hours.