G&K Services Reviews

Updated October 22, 2014
3.5

G&K Services CEO and Director Douglas A. (Doug) Milroy
Douglas A. (Doug) Milroy

Pros
  • I have been working at G&K Services for less than 3 months as a outside sales rep (in 17 reviews)

• The company also supports work/life balance and in some positions, flexible work arrangements (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with no breaks that violate DOT (60-70) (in 14 reviews)

• Rumors that Bohemia shop will be closing, don't waste your time with G&K like I did (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

High pressure but highly rewarding

Current Employee - Route Manager
    Current Employee - Route Manager

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

G&K likes to promote from within so there is great potential to move up in the company. Compensation is fair at the bottom and very good the higher up you are in the ranks. Drivers are paid based on the size of their routes and the amount of products they sell. Sales blitzes are very common locally and provide extra income if you put in the effort. Great training programs and a growing product line to sell. Very good, balanced company overall. G&K does have a top down structure, but it provides everyone in the company direct knowledge of the CEO's goals and intentions. Things are well communicated from the top down to the bottom.

Cons

Some leaders are better than others. Off cycle price increases (which were recently ended) are difficult to explain to customers. High pressure workplace from the route up to the CEO. Everyone has someone to answer to and blame can and often times is deflected to the person's direct reports. Some people act with little to no urgency which can be frustrating. Days can be long (12+ hours).

Keep improving processes and product selection. Listen to customer concerns and do everything possible to correct them. Differentiate G&K from the other uniform companies by doing things the right way. It may take some time to build the reputation as the honest uniform company, but it will pay dividends in the future.

Horrific

Current Employee - Dock Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Dock Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

non what so ever, worst company imaginable

Cons

After almost 20 years I had to no choice to retire worst t company ever everything had to be life or death situation in order for me to have off, vacations were denied 2 weeks before they began and sometimes 3 days before they began. no work life balance one day I would work early morning 3am to 1 pm others days 1 pm to 3pm and overtime is never voluntary imagine wanted to go home to see your family after not seeing them all week since your work schedule would not allow and then having to stay later because they need you to do overtime. many time I was forced to stay a few minutes past my time and not get paid.

advice to company ceo is to evaluate each location especially Miami. maybe join undercover boss

Absolutely the worst company ever

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros to this company.

Cons

No sales support
    Salary to low
    Can't get sick
    Compulsive liars

Pay rsr's more, act like you appreciate employees

Do not apply for a job here...

Former Employee - TSR
    Former Employee - TSR

I worked at G&K Services full-time

Pros

Co-works were awesome. Unfortunately turnover happened on a monthly basis. No one stays for more than a year.

Cons

Sales Manager is terrible!!! No help other than a one on one meeting. Low pay and you constantly have to be looking over your shoulder. You either quit or they fire you in the first few months.

Have your management live your supposed core values. Invest time with your people and help develop your people.

Very fast paced work environment.

Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you want to climb the ladder you can do so through hard work.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge.

Keep your good people close

Great Company, Great Leader

I have been working at G&K Services (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities available at G&K. As a 20+ year employee, I have held many different positions within the company. The company contributed to my education helping me fulfill a life long dream of a college degree and becoming the first in my family to graduate from college. You will be challenged, mentored, and provided with great career opportunities working at G&K. The company also supports work/life balance and in some positions, flexible work arrangements. Our current CEO is providing great direction to an already solid company. I see nothing but growth and improvement ahead for G&K.

Cons

Need systems that talk better to each other so we have less manual work-arounds. Delays in IT support - both incidents and projects are slow to no response. IT improvements are under way so I anticipate these will get better over time.

Would like to see the company continue flexible work arrangements but better communication is needed for those not connected to an office every day. There is training, open enrollment, etc that goes on in house but I only hear about it through the grapevine. I do not even know who my HR Rep is if I did have a problem I wanted to address.

Challenging.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Williston, VT
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Williston, VT

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Consistently challenging yourself to to do better. Income is directly related to effort put forth. Excellent team for the most part.

Cons

To do the job the right way requires commitment and family support as the hours are long,

Find way to compensate RSR's for windshield time. Some guys are covering significantly greater distances than others.

Learned the Sales Process at G&k...

I worked at G&K Services

Pros

Great sales training and methods

Cons

Lots of sales team turnover

Continue to support salespeople in the field

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Team members are very supportive
    - Executive Management team is amazing.

Cons

- Less Diversity.
    - Hierarchical structure.
    - Packets of micro management.

Couple of things
    1.Sense of urgency in everything creates inefficiency and dissatisfaction. 2. Though CEO promotes open culture, many are not open especially in the middle management. If Management can address these G&K can create great work environment.

If you want to work less than a year then this is your place

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You dont have your supervisor all down your back every day. You have your own office.

Cons

They have cant keep a district sales manager for more than a year. When management dont like you they will oush you out for no reason. No actual moving up with the company. They will give you a different title but you will be doing the same things has everybody else. They don't give raises. The car allowance is horrible 330 a month. Highway robbery

You should learn how to treat your sales rep and you would be ale to keep one for more than a year. When you decide to switch different sales managers make sure they are willing to get to know the reps before they just try to get rid of them. Consider actually talking to your employees.