G&K Services Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
3.6

G&K Services CEO and Director Douglas A. (Doug) Milroy
Douglas A. (Doug) Milroy

Pros
  • I have been working at G&K Services for less than 3 months as a outside sales rep (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits and lots of long time sales employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Rumors that Bohemia shop will be closing, don't waste your time with G&K like I did (in 13 reviews)

• Extremely long hours driving without any breaks (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

High pressure but highly rewarding

Current Employee - Route Manager
    Current Employee - Route Manager

I have been working at G&K Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

G&K likes to promote from within so there is great potential to move up in the company. Compensation is fair at the bottom and very good the higher up you are in the ranks. Drivers are paid based on the size of their routes and the amount of products they sell. Sales blitzes are very common locally and provide extra income if you put in the effort. Great training programs and a growing product line to sell. Very good, balanced company overall. G&K does have a top down structure, but it provides everyone in the company direct knowledge of the CEO's goals and intentions. Things are well communicated from the top down to the bottom.

Cons

Some leaders are better than others. Off cycle price increases (which were recently ended) are difficult to explain to customers. High pressure workplace from the route up to the CEO. Everyone has someone to answer to and blame can and often times is deflected to the person's direct reports. Some people act with little to no urgency which can be frustrating. Days can be long (12+ hours).

Keep improving processes and product selection. Listen to customer concerns and do everything possible to correct them. Differentiate G&K from the other uniform companies by doing things the right way. It may take some time to build the reputation as the honest uniform company, but it will pay dividends in the future.

Very fast paced work environment.

Current Employee - Regional Vice President  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at G&K Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

If you want to climb the ladder you can do so through hard work.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge.

Keep your good people close

Great Company, Great Leader

I have been working at G&K Services for more than 10 years

Pros

There are many opportunities available at G&K. As a 20+ year employee, I have held many different positions within the company. The company contributed to my education helping me fulfill a life long dream of a college degree and becoming the first in my family to graduate from college. You will be challenged, mentored, and provided with great career opportunities working at G&K. The company also supports work/life balance and in some positions, flexible work arrangements. Our current CEO is providing great direction to an already solid company. I see nothing but growth and improvement ahead for G&K.

Cons

Need systems that talk better to each other so we have less manual work-arounds. Delays in IT support - both incidents and projects are slow to no response. IT improvements are under way so I anticipate these will get better over time.

Would like to see the company continue flexible work arrangements but better communication is needed for those not connected to an office every day. There is training, open enrollment, etc that goes on in house but I only hear about it through the grapevine. I do not even know who my HR Rep is if I did have a problem I wanted to address.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging.

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative  in  Williston, VT
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Williston, VT

I have been working at G&K Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Consistently challenging yourself to to do better. Income is directly related to effort put forth. Excellent team for the most part.

Cons

To do the job the right way requires commitment and family support as the hours are long,

Find way to compensate RSR's for windshield time. Some guys are covering significantly greater distances than others.

Learned the Sales Process at G&k...

I worked at G&K Services

Pros

Great sales training and methods

Cons

Lots of sales team turnover

Continue to support salespeople in the field

Good company to work for.

Current Employee - Corporate Employee  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at G&K Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Team members are very supportive
    - Executive Management team is amazing.

Cons

- Less Diversity.
    - Hierarchical structure.
    - Packets of micro management.

Couple of things
    1.Sense of urgency in everything creates inefficiency and dissatisfaction. 2. Though CEO promotes open culture, many are not open especially in the middle management. If Management can address these G&K can create great work environment.

G&K Services is the kind of company that gives capitalism a bad name..... Pathetic management and culture

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

I worked at G&K Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was nice being in your truck and having freedom. The customers made the job worthwhile and interesting. Health insurance was good.

Cons

I literally don't know where to start..... I will give it a try, though. The entire company is built and operated on a bedrock built of dishonesty, deceit, manipulation, and greed. Making a healthy profit is one thing and taking advantage of every possible person, situation and scenario is another.... The managers were all habitual liars. They would do and say anything to manipulate a situation for their benefit. Customers bills would constantly go up for bogus reasons and management would only drop prices if the customer called them out on it.... Route drivers pay would go down for bogus reasons as well. They pay you a percentage of your route, but would arbitrarily drop that percentage when they see fit.... In general, the corporate office is steadily looking for ways to 1) charge (steal from) customers more and 2) siphon away employee compensation. They try to make their piece of the pie a little larger by employing these tactics. Its really a disgusting thing to watch and be a part of.

With great authority comes great responsibility. Thousands of lives are affected by your decisions and policies. You have lost your way because of your love affair with the almighty dollar. You are handling your responsibility poorly.

If you want to work less than a year then this is your place

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative  in  North Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at G&K Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

You dont have your supervisor all down your back every day. You have your own office.

Cons

They have cant keep a district sales manager for more than a year. When management dont like you they will oush you out for no reason. No actual moving up with the company. They will give you a different title but you will be doing the same things has everybody else. They don't give raises. The car allowance is horrible 330 a month. Highway robbery

You should learn how to treat your sales rep and you would be ale to keep one for more than a year. When you decide to switch different sales managers make sure they are willing to get to know the reps before they just try to get rid of them. Consider actually talking to your employees.

Current employee

I have been working at G&K Services

Pros

Excellent fast pace career path

Cons

sometimes inconsistent philosophy on core business from local personnel

Stressful

I worked at G&K Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people who I worked directly with were very professional and valued my work. They treated me with respect as I did them. We were like a family.

Cons

Stressful, management from off site location was rude and very unprofessional treated employees like they were below them, they were more concerned with employees doing better than them than the outcome of the business.

Choose very carefully who you give a lot of power to. Give associate surveys so you can really find out how your management team is treating the employees

Worked for G&K Services? Contribute to the Community!