G&K Services

www.gkservices.com
Employer Engaged

Loader/Unloader (Manual labor work horse)

Former Employee - Loader/Unloader
    Former Employee - Loader/Unloader

I worked at G&K Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers who were fun to work with. Route drivers would provide some help if the other loader/unloader and myself were swamped with work.

Cons

Absolutely no guidance or help from our branch manager. Practically minimum wage pay for being a labor slave. 12 hour shifts of constantly pulling, pushing, or lifting very heavy objects. Unloading some of the soiled carts and slings was gross enough to make you gag or throw-up.

Branch managers need to be a part of the team and not just sit in their office doing God knows what. Management makes the workforce feel unappreciated and low on the food chain.

Excellent environment

Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - RSR Route Sales Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and management. Great pay.

Cons

Long hours, ridiculous holiday schedules.

Factor in a 4 day work week

Territory Sales Executive

Current Employee - Territory Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

G&K really cares about their employees which is evidenced by the strong tenure among the organization. Upper management also cares about their workforce and listens to them for suggestions on how to make things better.

Cons

Competitive industry for sales and a lot of cold-calling.

Excellent Training Program

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Training - Commission plan - work/life balance - Local promotions - Support - Great team that has passionate managers pushing and supporting you to achieve your goals

Cons

Requirements for high activity in a very competitive industry. While to commissions can be very good, they are tied to profit, and in competitive situations that can be a problem. Phone allowance does not cover my actual expense.

Become more competitive in some markets.

Long Term Career Path that rewards Success

I have been working at G&K Services

Pros

Promotions from within
    Sales Culture
    Operational Excellence Expectations
    Run your own Buisness

Cons

Tough Management to Success
    Large Expectations especially with Y-O-Y

Continue to focus on Coaching to WIn
    Keep in mind that the corporate office should support the field not the other way around.

What has happened to this place?

I have been working at G&K Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is good, if you can get them to pay you on time or properly
    Benefits are okay I guess, I never use what they offer for medical
    They act like they care about you

Cons

Trying to get product to service the customers
    Hearing how you need to get more business when you are already having trouble trying to hold on to your existing customers
    Getting anything done on a local level without calling corporate is useless
    Trying to take ETO; Earned Time OFF. Its earned, but they don't think you ought to be able to use it or get paid for it
    Getting paid on time

This little section is pretty much useless. No one in management will care if they see it.
    The little option to get an account for the HR people to be able to address any issues is ignored. Go look at every post on here, not one is addressed by the company.
    Even worse is the fact that I can recognise some truthful posts from previous co-workers and two posts from managers. One of which I was able to see him writing up.
    The business is going to pot and will continue to if you don't start respecting your workers and listen to them.
    This company is in business to make money. Well, sorry to tell you, but the people 'working' are doing it to make money too.

Managers or HR must be doing the 5 star reviews because the honest ones are the real people working

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at G&K Services full-time

Pros

Guys that run the routes are a good bunch to hang with, butthey have their own lives to live
    The regular plant people have a sense of humor and understand when the drivers are not happy and try to work with them to try and sort out the issues

Cons

Managers on all levels are trustworthy as rattlesnakes; that includes those that are just considered team leaders
    They will tell you everything is good when they bring you in, but turn around and change their story once you start
    Promise you pay for the hours you work, but turn around and say they don't have to pay you
    Have to get everything in writing from these people or you'll never get any fair treatment
    That includes just random changes in your job, otherwise they'll turn around and deny ever telling you to do it. Especially if someone calls in and complaints.
    Do yourself a favor and go to the local bus stop and just look under a bus. That way you'll recognize it when the managers throw you under one to make themselves look good.

If your entire job is only to screw over the people working, then you're good to go
    If your job is to manage and work with the people; you failed and need to quit

I am so happy I am not working for them anymore!

I worked at G&K Services

Pros

Pay is alright and so are benefits.

Cons

The company is a hostile place to work were management goal was to break any unionized workers even at the cost of business . I did not realize how much I hated being there till I left.

Have no advice to give that this Management would hear.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one that can see the PR campaign

I worked at G&K Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Customers were great for the most part; some were really understanding
    You make some friends and business connections on the way
    You learn real quick to cover all your bases

Cons

I could spend all day writing up a lengthy rant about the numerous complaints and work violations that go on a daily basis, but instead I'll just let the informed read the other posts. They pretty much sum up the work environment and the total cover up that the company does to try and hide it. Just read. Its a pure corporate environment where only the actual workers have no say and wind up taking the heat for everything that might go wrong and are considered expendable if it means a managers somewhere can blame them and make themself look good.

No justice or fair treatment for the actual workers.

Get into each local location and actually talk to the workers. From the line crew to the loaders to the delivery drivers and actually talk to them and listen. Ignore what ever the managers have to say because they are going to say whatever it is they think you want them to say or what they think will make them look good.

Then actually act upon what you are told. If more people are needed in production; hire them. If more merchandize is needed; buy it. If your drivers are working long hours (12-14+ hour days); cut their routes or actually see that they get paid properly for their time.

In the corporate world the numbers matter, but when those numbers incur losses due to lost business because of the want of higher profit; balance the numbers properly and not juggle them until they look good.

It was awful

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative

I worked at G&K Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It was a okay job

Cons

Too many demands and no support

help and support people