G2 Web Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Ed Barton

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful company with poor management.

Internet Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 Web Services full-time for less than a year

ProsFlex schedule for some, free snacks/drinks, bonus structure

ConsFlex PTO can be abused and is, poor management, retaliation against employees

Advice to Senior ManagementStop blaming the employees for a someone elses bad performance.

Fun, casual, empowered environment with smart people at all levels.

I have been working at G2 Web Services full-time for less than a year

ProsThe company and its leaders trust and empower their employees, rewarding creativity, innovation, loyalty and commitment. Although growing exponentially, smart thought leaders researching, strategizing and setting achievable long and short-term goals.

ConsHard to think of any cons at this point. Like all growng companies, need to be cautious about workforce planning and organizational planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementI encourage management to meet the challenge of communicaiton to all members of staff regarding growth plans, goals and objectives. Identify and tap in house talent to participate in respective strategic plans and initiatives.

Most awful employment experience of my life

I have been working at G2 Web Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree coffee, water...that's about the sum of it.

ConsYou will be micromanaged to death by completely incompetent managers. Those managers have never managed anything else in their life before G2, so they are very insecure. You know what that will get you. Company was sold to a midwest company that is strangling G2. All of their senior best and brightest left at the end of last year, and they have never recovered. The fired their general manager (he was one of the founding partners lol). About one percent of the people working for this company might be happy, but the rest are actively looking elsewhere or drafting their letters of resignation.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at this company is not intelligent life, so it would be a waste of thought and effort to attempt to give them a clue.

Apply at Burger King first

I have been working at G2 Web Services full-time for more than a year

ProsYou would do much better applying for a job at Fred Meyer or your local Burger King…to be brutally honest. The people you would encounter at either of those places would be of much higher caliber than you’ll find at G2.

The board fired the general manager, who was also one of the three founding partners (oops…sorry…the company line was that he is “spending more time with his family” LOL). They replaced him with a guy who runs an auto glass repair shop…LOL. They did that because he has run other companies that are “equity backed,” and knows very well how to prep the company to be chewed up, sold and broken up (search B-Line, LLC in Seattle). Yes, current employees…that is coming soon. He (and his red headed stepchild) has brought in his own team (straight from the chewed up and sold B-Line, LLC) and is firing everyone associated with the old regime.

All innovation at the company stopped after they were bought by Primus Capital. When G2 was bought most of the best and brightest people left. Coming up with new and intelligent ideas is no longer rewarded. The dumbest people are promoted and the smartest ones see absolutely no reason to stay at the company.

The chief strategist just left the company. He gave it his best and had some brilliant ideas, but after G2 was bought by Primus the company no longer wanted new ideas or brilliance; sweat shops demand sweat…not intelligence or innovation. The chief of operations also just resigned. The head of marketing just departed. The vice president of engineering also just left. BLAM! The manager who hires you will be changed out in five minutes for another who will micro manage you to death. If you like to watch manager musical chairs then G2 is the place for you. They just can’t ever figure out where they are going, what they are doing, or who is going to lead the show.

Good luck and Peace.

ConsAs I said…you really would do better appying at your local Fred Meyer or Burger King. At least your sweat, intelligence and good ideas would be applied to something useful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPS - I'm laughing at the two newest reviews...obviously from G2 management trying to make the company look good lol. Just read them carefully and it will be very clear to you they are from G2 management. If it's not clear then guess what? You should probably be working for G2...you are just the type they are looking for! :)

Flag Review

G2 Web Services HR Generalist responded to this review

Sep 17, 2013

We now have an HR department. If you have worked for G2 for over a year and are obviously very unhappy, I would encourage you to find someone within management or HR to discuss your concerns ... More

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at G2 Web Services full-time

ProsBright and dedicated employees; current employees do a good job cherrypicking former coworkers to hire. Company is pretty stable. Sales team does a great job keeping revenue coming in. Lots of interest in (re)building sustainable infrastructure the right way. Small Agile teams. Great engineering management. Pretty good work/life balance, unless you're on call.

ConsSo many business owners that not only do priorities change mid-project or even mid-sprint, nearly every attempt to actually work on infrastructure gets sidelined before it can be completed. Even projects to release new versions of the company's products are often interrupted to change focus and direction by the various business owners, who then seek the heads of those who didn't complete those projects. Sales team has a tendency to sell products that don't exist, even on the back of a napkin. So many projects run at once that many engineers (dev and QA) split their time on more than one, leading to lots of inefficiency, especially with the number of production problems this situation causes. No effective IT/Ops process -- the only way to get anything done is to solicit individual Ops personnel directly. Salaries often below market. Company more or less sold to a pump-and-dump VC outfit, so a lot of the motivation to innovate is gone. Great engineering managers seem to burn out and leave when they can in frustration. Location in NW Bellevue is pretty awful to commute to if you're not the general manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say "work to hire and retain engineering management and get completely out of their way", but at this point it's probably too late. Just make sure your employees are taken care of when your holding company does turn you over.

Great People - Great Learning Opportunities.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at G2 Web Services full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you're looking at these reviews before you interview don't be scared away by the 1 stars. Here's my experience with G2 Web Services.

Environment/Culture:
Relaxed work environment, casual dress code, wine Fridays.
Friendly people to work with.
Dedicated, and talented Ops, Engineering, and Product teams.
Fairly flat organization, no "middle management", plenty of cross team collaboration.
Deftly practice Agile Scrum throughout the engineering organization.
Located in Bellevue.
Company encourages employees to use their vacation. In other words there isn't a culture of "you're not a good employee" if you take your vacation time.
People don't have entrenched positions on things, there's an atmosphere or collaboration and getting the work done.
Culture of creating solutions, not placing blame.
Devs are encouraged and empowered to come up with creative solutions to customer needs.
Clear product direction.

Benefits/Perks:
Free Parking (if you've ever worked in Seattle you understand why this is a pro)
Free snacks, soda, coffee in the kitchens.
Transportation allowance each month so you can take the bus or help pay for 520 toll or ferry passage.
Matching 401k plan.
Quarterly monetary awards given to those who go above and beyond.
Job security, the company is in a great position within the industry.
Company pays 100% of your Health Insurance Premium (employee only - spouse additional)

ConsVacation and sick time are currently drawn from the same allotment. This can sometimes encourage people to come into work when they should be resting since being sick takes away from your vacation. Other than that, I haven't any gripes or complaints.

Company Motto: Bottom Line > Employees

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at G2 Web Services full-time for more than a year

Pros- Ok First Job: if you're straight out of college and just need to land something to start paying down the student loans, you will probably be happy here.
- Ok "Quick Income": if you really need a job and don't care about benefits, culture, etc., you will probably be happy here.
- Ok Alternative to Retail: if you don't want to work retail, then this is a good alternative, as it will require the same experience as retail and pay the same or less, but at least you get to sit in front of a computer all day.

Cons- Bonus Structure: they give out bonuses every quarter to two people. They present these bonuses in front of everyone at the company meeting so you walk up to get your bonus like you're a kid receiving an award in an elementary school. The worst part is that you don't know what the criteria is for receiving these bonuses so you can work off your butt and not even get verbally acknowledged.
- Management Style: you either have a manager that doesn't care to ever give you feedback (positive or negative) or one that overly cares and micromanages you to death. Anyone who knew how to manage I am pretty sure left the week I started.
- Career Path: they prefer to bring in people from the outside than hire internally. When they do hire internally, you need to be your own advocate for a raise (which usually doesn't happen).
- Benefits: no vacation or sick time, only PTO. Makes you feel like you need to come in when you're sick just so you don't lose vacation time and causes other people who are sick to come in and get you sick.
- Culture: the only time I interact with other employees, even from other departments, is to complain about the company. Seriously, that is the only thing that most people talk about here.

Advice to Senior Management- Company Resume Fluff: stop fluffing the "company resume" for investors and hiring people just because of where they graduated from instead of looking at their experience. This demotivates good people you already have and makes them look elsewhere.
- Be Honest: been around long enough to hear upper management promise things and forget to address them again. If you can't really follow through on a promise, just say so instead of saying things just to make people hopeful and happy.
- Company Parties/Events: stop throwing crazy parties and events if you are complaining about a tight budget and that's why you couldn't give anyone a decent raise. 2.5% after 2 years? Really?
- Replace the Broken Parts: just replace all the upper management with people that know how to run a company. You guys have enough money to retire already, just stand back, and hire good managers.

Run away very fast!

I have been working at G2 Web Services

ProsThese guys manage like they are from the stone age.

ConsTheir entire IT team including VP left the company, this is only a hint as to how they treat their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue?

Worked for G2 Web Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at G2 Web Services reviews and ratings in Bellevue, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for G2 Web Services CEO Ed Barton. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by G2 Web Services employees.