G4S
www.g4s.com Crawley, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

G4S Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Ashley Almanza

Pros:
  • "Decent benefits for full-time employees"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Good pay for relatively easy work"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can suffer (if not careful)"
    in 8 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no room for advancement or any kind of growth"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not bad when considering other companies in private security.

Security Officer (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsIt probably one of the best private security companies I've worked for and pay is also one of the highest I've received within the industry. The job assignments are fairly easy, your schedule is usually set and they offer continuous job training.

ConsPromotions are hard to come by, and pay is mostly based off of your job assignment; which can be a gift and a curse depending on your site. Getting a raise is totally out of the question and no incentives. For me my main gripe is upper management's lack of ability to communicate, not only with their subordinates, but within management itself.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your officers, but not only that but investigate their concerns thoroughly. Also, don't make accusations about something you don't know anything about or failed to come in investigate for yourself. Operations at the regional office is a mess, y'all really need to add and subtract some people from that office!!! I've had my security license expired for months. When state law requires that it is up-to-date and on your person at all times. This is unacceptable and illegal, but again y'all seem to drag your feet on ensuring that officers have the proper and necessary things that we need to properly perform our duties until DPS or something serious occurs then that's when you guys have the "chicken with its head cut off" affect running around scrambling to get something done, that should've been done weeks or months ago.Don't let me get started on the errors in payroll when y'all have overpaid me, underpaid me, or not at all.

LGF SUP.

Sec Sup (Current Employee)
    Canada, KS

ProsBEST reason to work here is , everyday getting lots of experience .

Consgetting lots of experience daily work routine

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should take care of the guard personal in each post and provide them good facilities

Rating

G4S Security Officer (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsMeeting new people n using my skills

ConsThe complaints on unsolveable situation

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Traditional Security Officer

Traditional Security Officer (Former Employee)
    Portland, OR

ProsSteady paycheck with opportunities for overtime. I definitely got my exercise working for the site.

ConsMuch more customer service oriented than I had anticipated. Some coworkers were somewhat less than easy to get along with, as well as other site personnel.

Not looked after by middle management.

Upscale Security Officer (Current Employee)

ProsThere are opportunities for relatively quick advancement. The pay could be worse. Some of the training is useful, and it provides experience if you're looking to get into law enforcement or emergency response/fire.

ConsPoorly thought out decisions about operations from middle management regularly implemented. Expected to work without a break, no bathroom, no heat, old and broken equipment, and expected to do things not related to the job because company bends over backward to retain the contract. If the wrong person witnesses you make a mistake and complains, middle management gets rid of you, no questions asked. Months straight of forced overtime, with scheduling done the DAY OF. Extremely high turnover rate, extremely low morale. High level of military being employed puts even greater strain on civilian employees due to frequent absences for military duty.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time every now and then to see for yourself how the decisions you're making are impacting your employees and daily operations. Have enough backbone to advocate on your employees' behalf when they're being abused by the company you're currently contracted with, and you wouldn't find yourselves desperately understaffed 24/7, 365 days a year.

Tenured Professional

ProsGood Health Benefits; Perks; Open Door Policy;

ConsLack of Compensation; Promotions; Time off policy

opened a new door for me

ProsI learned a lot about other people

Consmixed hours and last minute scheduling

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A very enlightened experience.

Shift Supervisorvisor (Former Employee)
    Rowe, MA

ProsGood Training, good benefits, excellent pay

Consclose minded leadership, unable to capitalize on employee experience, treated like a number.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and learn about your employees. Vet and put the proper people in leadership positions. Be fair to all employees when rewarding or discipline is needed. The company has developed a very impersonal attitude to the very employees it depends on.

Helps with some of the bills

ProsPeople call out all the time so overtime can be made

ConsPay for level of duty isn't worth it/

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your troops and they will work their butt off for you.

Terrible management

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsPretty much nothing. They don't keep track of leave days so you can take as much as you want.

ConsPayroll is always messed up. Management is just like the movie "the office". They don't care about you at all. Scheduling is a nightmare. You can be fired or transfered to a different site without notice. They preach chain of Command but promotions aren't calculate that way. This is a terrible company. Stay away.

Advice to Senior ManagementJump.

Worked for G4S? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at G4S reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for G4S CEO Ashley Almanza. All 263 reviews posted anonymously by G4S employees.