G4S

www.g4s.com

G4S Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Ashley Almanza

Pros
  • Until I got hurt, it was pretty easy work, despite the low wage that was paid (in 7 reviews)

• Decent benefits for full-time employees (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can suffer (if not careful) (in 8 reviews)

• There is absolutely no room for advancement or any kind of growth (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Currently a nuclear security officer with G4S as the security contractor company.

Nuclear Security Officer (Current Employee) Ontario, NY

ProsWell known name. That's about it!

ConsThere have been nothing really good I have seen from G4S at all. It's pretty much all negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! Find out the employees concerns and actually address them. G4S doesn't even pretend to address anything in the nuclear security industry.

It's been cool

Tso (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood hours, meet new people, lots of resources

ConsNone it's really an ok job.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Rewarding

Training Instructor/Range Master (Former Employee) Hancocks Bridge, NJ

ProsPlenty of room for advancement, team Oriented culture. Nuclear is the place to be for pay. Opportunity to work in different areas of the country.

ConsPay doesn't always match performance, most pay raises are across the board and not based on merit. Training for supervisors does not encompass enough leadership skills.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

G4S Secure Solutions Security Suprvisor

Security Supervisor (Former Employee) Pontiac, MI

ProsThe pay is decent once you hit the Supervisor position
    Uniforms are provided

ConsDrafting system upsets home life
    Tend to only hire military
    No communication between management and staff

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Unstable , treats employees as machine

G4S Security Officer (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsIts a job, professional uniform, good coworkers

ConsLittle pay for the work you do. No lunch. Constantly changing management. Unable to plan any time off due to schedule changes daily. When its ur day off they call u in to work for double. Doesnt care if u have a family wants u there 24/7. A lot of time i work 16 hoirs straight 8 hours sleep and then another 16 hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave set schedules , keep post stable. Hire more ppl n stop overworking current employees.

horrible

Investigator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosnone. i would say less but it wont let me post with less than 5 words.

Conspay, schedule, manager...pretty much everything

Have to Get a good Site

CPO (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsNothing really is a dead in job. Good for people that are older and already retired . I'm 23 and it was not worth the time to try to move up.

ConsDisfunction no room for improvement. Dead in job unless u know how to get them to move you to a better paying site. Nothing close to your home.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow security officers to pick there sites close to home.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Road To Nowhere...

Traditional Security Officer (Current Employee) Lynchburg, VA

Pros-Overtime consistently available if desired and available to volunteer for it

-Laid back working atmosphere and not a physically demanding job

-Ideal for retirees who are looking for something to give them a sense of routine and get them out of the house/provide minimal supplemental income

Cons-Lack of advancement opportunity within the company despite the company consistantly promoting otherwise

-Low wages (especially for a company that requires a degree or previous law enforcement/military experience to be promoted to a higher position)

-Employees are under-valued within the company and officers are viewed by corporate and remote office managment as basic post coverage versus valued security officers

-Poor benefits package

-Company's refusal to sponsor training to their officers unless the officer is being promoted into an exact position that requires the training, and even then they still make you pay for the DCJS registration fees. If you are seeking training provided by the company to improve your skills, for cross-training and your resume, they make you pay G4S for the classes and G4S won't pay you while you attend the classes

-Training that is provided by the company is lousy, may not even pertain to your job and is administered in an exceptionally old school way (mostly all pen & paper with inconsequential tests, minimal e-courses)

-Internal promoting structure within company far too limiting: in order to even be eligible for promotion you must either have ascertained a degree or have significant prior law enforcement or military experience. I am not opposed to celebrating these accomplishments by taking them into consideration for a promotion, but I am opposed to making the stipulation that these accomplishments are the complete basis and absolute requirement to be considered for any internal promotion

-Remote company administrative management (office that manages the sites)- they are only ever involved with the security officers they employ at their contracted sites for human resources basic needs (i.e. payroll, uniforms acquisition/replacement, hiring/termination, etc.)

Advice to Senior Management-Get more directly involved with your officers so they can feel more valued within their role and the company. Take actual steps and follow up to ensure the officers are being treated well by the clients they serve.

-Remove policy limiting internal promotion to candidates who have a degree or law enforcement/military experience. While these accomplishments may be valuable, possibly relevant and should be taken into consideration during candidate selection, they do not define quality individuals who could bring talent to the company and should not be the required basis for such.

-Pay is not competitve within the field, consider raising the wages of the officers, particularly the security officers on the low end of your heirarchy scale.

Shift Supervisor

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThe site that I worked at was easy going and with previous military experience I got in and advanced to supervisor in a little over a year.

ConsFor the work being done you can't really complain about the pay. But when you're a supervisor and more then half of your crew is making more than you there's something wrong.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're leaders, supervisors, managers are taking care of you're Clients. A regular officer should not be making more than a supervisor.

Soul Crushing

Tso (Current Employee) La Crosse, WI

ProsThe guards that you work with are for the most part, good people.

Cons"Losing" direct deposit forms so you get paid on a card that charges you 25 cents per transaction.
     Lack of leadership from managers.
    Sending Guards job openings that are ether part-time or pays the same as your current site, but are over 300 miles away, despite the fact that there are "better" openings in the same area.
    Having "hidden" job openings.
    Leadership prefer to "eliminate" supervisor positions when the old supervisor leaves instead of promoting (and its only a .50 cent raise).
    New openings that are on-site are giving to those off the street instead of within,
    Feedback from the boots on the ground are ignored.
    Vacations are not guaranteed.
    If you put in a day-off request weeks/months in advance, you will not know if you will actually get that day off until the week before.
    Security license's are not paid by the company (other local security companies do).
    Paychecks tend to be missing hours and it can take months to correct.
    If you are ordered to get trained on another position that is on-site, your hourly rate will drop to the "Training" rate which is 7.25
    Leadership expects the guards to work with out-dated information, but won't provide new information.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe boots on the ground are the ones that make sure that the client continues to pay G4S and thus, making sure you still have a job. Therefore, treat your guards well and don't act like they are a peice of equipment. You are not going to keep guards when you treat them like crap, pay them a few bucks over min-wage and expect them to shell out 147 bucks for the license, you are not going to retain them. That is why most gaurds move on only after 6 months.

Worked for G4S? Contribute to the Community!