G4S

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.6

Ashley Almanza

Pros
  • Pays pretty good as far as security work goes And really easy work (in 9 reviews)

• Good pay for relatively easy work (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can suffer (if not careful) (in 8 reviews)

• There is absolutely no room for advancement or any kind of growth (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Long hours but good compensation

Current Employee - Lieutenant
    Current Employee - Lieutenant

I have been working at G4S full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits package

Cons

long hours and management is out of touch

My experiences with G4S has been good and at times challenging over all I like it though.

Current Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at G4S part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Some of the benefits of this company is that as a part-time employee I still get the opportunity to take advantage of their 401K, investment opportunities, and I get to work at different work sites.G4S also partners with a company that helps to support their employees' with personal challenges. Kind of like family health and wellbeing. A steady paycheck is possible. And working here has opened other doors. With other companies. They are pretty flexible with your schedule.

Cons

Some of the cons would be G4S doesn't communicate very well. Chance for advancement is slim. However time off is tough to get approved.

My advice to management would be if you have good people that want to work full time. 40 hrs. And they have shown you that they are willing you should make sure that they get that time, instead of hiring new people and giving them the full time positions that the people that are already there have been pledging for.

Watch your timecard

Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Horsham, PA
    Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Horsham, PA

I worked at G4S full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very easy to get hired if you have related previous experience or qualifications, they especially like to target military veterans or previous law enforcement experience.

Cons

Plays a shell game when it comes to pay, will only pay minimum wage during 1st week of training, tries to initially pay you with a fee riddled debit card, hours paid don't always make sense. One week I worked a $10/hr rate position for 40 hours and offered extra time at a post that earned $14 an hour. My overtime while worked at the $14/hr post was paid at the $10/hr post rate. They were taking significantly too much money out of my pay to pay towards my child support than they actually paid to the child support court.

Be a little more honest about your pay and make it more clear to understand which post worked was paid what amount of money.

Disorganized

Current Employee - Security Officer
    Current Employee - Security Officer

I have been working at G4S full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay for an entry level job. If you enjoy a quiet job where you can spend hours reading you would probably enjoy this.

Cons

Few opportunities, disorganized regional offices, regional offices are very very slow at responding to concerns and issues with local offices. Very boring and meaningless work.

Force your regional offices to become more organized so they can respond to the needs of the local offices faster.

Poor Upper Management

Current Employee - G4S Security Officer
    Current Employee - G4S Security Officer

I have been working at G4S full-time (less than an year)

Pros

When you are paid it is great when you aren't it sucks. they took almost a month to pay me.

Cons

Training, not being paid, company values

I understand the military background however how is anyone going to report something wrong if everyone gets punished and not the one person that did something wrong. Sounds a bit backwards if you ask me.

Average, nothing too special

Current Employee - Flex Officer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Flex Officer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at G4S full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent Starting Pay
    Get to work in various environments with various types of people
    Plenty f Hours

Cons

Used, profusely, for overtime.
    Never know where you will end up next.
    Low training

Get around to hiring more officers!

It is one of the worst employment experiences in my life.

Current Employee - G4S Security Officer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - G4S Security Officer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at G4S full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are no pros at this company

Cons

There is no possibility to use earned vacation days. Why? The Site Coordinators and captains get paid a managers salary and an take an officers post (usually Mon - Fri w/ Sat and Sun off); therefore, earning two incomes. Then the SC or captain gets the G4S and the contracted site benefits, i.e.: days off. By, a manager (an exempt employee) taking up a non-exempt position, security officer position, it puts undue strain on the security staff, forcing overtime an extra duties that the SC/captain refuses to do while posing as a security officer. Thus the sites are perpetually short staffed.

Not bad when considering other companies in private security.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at G4S full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It probably one of the best private security companies I've worked for and pay is also one of the highest I've received within the industry. The job assignments are fairly easy, your schedule is usually set and they offer continuous job training.

Cons

Promotions are hard to come by, and pay is mostly based off of your job assignment; which can be a gift and a curse depending on your site. Getting a raise is totally out of the question and no incentives. For me my main gripe is upper management's lack of ability to communicate, not only with their subordinates, but within management itself.

Listen to your officers, but not only that but investigate their concerns thoroughly. Also, don't make accusations about something you don't know anything about or failed to come in investigate for yourself. Operations at the regional office is a mess, y'all really need to add and subtract some people from that office!!! I've had my security license expired for months. When state law requires that it is up-to-date and on your person at all times. This is unacceptable and illegal, but again y'all seem to drag your feet on ensuring that officers have the proper and necessary things that we need to properly perform our duties until DPS or something serious occurs then that's when you guys have the "chicken with its head cut off" affect running around scrambling to get something done, that should've been done weeks or months ago.Don't let me get started on the errors in payroll when y'all have overpaid me, underpaid me, or not at all.

Traditional Security Officer

Current Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Bedford, IN
    Current Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Bedford, IN

I have been working at G4S full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work and overtime when available

Cons

G4S says that they are to supply us with everything we need to the job. I have been here 1year and 7 months when my year was up I asked my boss to order me a new pair of boots he ordered them and it took 2 months, they came in non steel toed. So on Wednesday 7\23\2014.My boss emailed the person that does the ordering the boots. On Saturday 7\26\2014. I ordered the same pair,paid for them got them on Tuesday 7\29\2014.I was told that I will not get reimbursement so I am going to try to reimbursement for the boots I bought .Last June we got fingerprinted for our Private Investigator License we have not received them at all.

I have only seen 2 people from upper management one was my boss's boss the other was from Indianapolis office when we got finger printed for our Private Investigator License

My experience with G4S at Rio Grande Valley Texas

I have been working at G4S full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good company and been working for G4S for 10 years. You get to work different areas, environments and get to know good people.

Cons

They need to get more sites. Try giving more opportunities to officers to move up the latter. If someone wants to move to transportation or as a CPO you have to meet G4S standard qualification. How about people that have been working here why can you exempt it and give officer the opportunity.

Need to show a good role of professionalism and need to know how to approach the officers.