G4S Secure Solutions North America Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
150 reviews filtered by
2.7
Drew Levine

Pros
  • Lots of opportunities for overtime (in 3 reviews)

• There were plenty of opportunities to work overtime if I wanted (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Terrible work culture and work life balance (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay, poor upper level supervision, and do not hold people accountable for their actions (in 4 reviews)

1. I had a great experience working for this company.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at G4S Secure Solutions North America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is usually work available on a full time basis. I made decent money for the Albuquerque area overall.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement. Positions are often given based on who you know, rather than qualifications.

I don't have a lot of advice to offer. Overall, working for this company was a great experience, and I wouldn't trade it.

2. You are a security guard, plain and simple.

Current Employee - Upscale Security Officer
    Current Employee - Upscale Security Officer

I have been working at G4S Secure Solutions North America full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, great pay for the work you are doing. Freedom to roam as you see for once you are out of training.

Cons

The hours.The work. Its very monotonous and boring. Don't apply here if you want a challenge in your work.

Try to strive to close the gap between corporate headquarters and the on-site workers. Often on-site workers feel that upper management isn't looking out for them, which might have something to do with such a high turn over rate.

3. Working here was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at G4S Secure Solutions North America

Pros

None. There is absolutely nothing positive about G4S. I do not consider this a positive, but it is very easy to get a job here because officers quit every single day.

Cons

Every single thing about G4S is a negative. The pay is barely over minimum wage. Supervisors will purposely try to get to you fired. You will never get a chance to advance because management hires their friends and family for supervisory positions. If you ask for a transfer to another site, you are told that it is not possible. G4S has one of the highest, if not the highest, turnover rate. Most new hires do not stay longer than a year. There is no work-life balance because you are on call 24/7. They expect you to work overtime, but then they cut your hours so you do not get paid for the overtime. They call you on your off days to come in. You cannot join a union to protect yourself from the management, because they will fire you for joining a union. The uniform is awful. It is 100% polyester. I could go on and on about how horrible G4S is. It is truly the worst place I have ever worked. The day I quit was one of the happiest days of my life. I do not list my time at G4S on my resume.

I think the only thing that can be done at this point is to just shut down G4S and start from scratch with a new CEO, new management, new everything.

5. Awful.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Clinton, IA

Pros

Coworkers are generally friendly and helpful.

Cons

Inconsistent. No work/life balance. Doesn't follow own policies and procedures. Hostile work environment. Poor compensation. Management will bully and retaliate against employees, corporate is impotent and investigations on clear cut matters go nowhere. Will schedule employees on shifts they cannot work that was previously agreed upon employment. Abuses overtime during holiday weeks in order to only pay you for the holiday, not both. Has withheld final paychecks from employees.

Nearly every site manager should be fired. Sexual harassment, intimidation, hostile work environments, no regard for policy, and favoritism have no place in any work environment.

6. Great job, not a career.

Current Employee - Critical Facilities Officer in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Critical Facilities Officer in Newark, DE

I have been working at G4S Secure Solutions North America

Pros

Good assignments, great clients, training and co workers.

Cons

Pay could be higher. vacation approval akin to winning the powerball.

have monthly meetings with staff to air/out, address concerns

7. Good Job to earn a little extra money

Current Employee - Security Guard in Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Carlisle, PA

Pros

Most sites offer flexible schedules. There are may weeks with 50 - 60 hours.

Cons

Low hourly rate with little opportunity for advancement. The Harrisburg PA managers very poor at supporting their guards.

Pay your guards a better rate. They are the ones that keep you in business. Stop by the site on a more regular basis.

8. Low pay, overly demanding clients, terrible hours

Current Employee - Security Officer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at G4S Secure Solutions North America

Pros

Easy-to-get job
    If you're on a site contract you can get fairly consistent schedules
    Training and certification is usually covered by the company
    Hiring manager and trainer were very upfront in regards to job expectations

Cons

Seems everyone has problems with how schedules are worked out whether it's by site or just out of the main office
    Clients demand that you expand your job duties to include housekeeping, secretarial duties, etc.
    Management is hard to get in touch with
    Management frequently mixes up, loses, or forgets to pay employees
    Poor insurance plan (which starting in October will be unaffordable due to the price of G4S's health plan doubling for some reason) that is only covered at one doctor's office in town
    Hours are so different day to day that its hard to have a life outside of work

Hire a data entry clerk and switch to a computer-based pay system.
    Rework whatever scheduling system there is that's draining your workers' lives

9. The company has numerous sites

I worked at G4S Secure Solutions North America

Pros

You get your CPR card and they pay better then other companies that provide the same service. Depending on the site easy work.

Cons

No advancement, high turnover rate. Sometimes the drive is not worth the pay, ie.. sometimes you have to drive an hour or two away for a 4-6 hour shift.

Be up front and honest with the individual, If you give someone a job and tell them we only have part time available at that place but we have a full time position at another location and come to find out they are only trying to fill that position and the one you applied for is still full time

10. I think G4S supervisors write these comments.

Current Employee - Security Officer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

It's a job. Turnover is very high..and that should say it all.

Cons

Everything else. Training done by inexperienced supervisors whose own supervisors don't care about them or the employees just the bonus. FORGET about the health plans. You will pay for it if you include anyone but you and the plan is horrible (unless you management then you get a separate much better plan).

Do not be so greedy pinching your pennies for your end of years bonuses (yes, they get them by cutting corners and making their employees work for nothing).

11. Great for people in college

Pros

It's easy.

You're not hounded by management.

It's a good place to do school work.

Cons

Low pay.

It can be boring, especially if you are the only guard on shift.

Look for guards that can do the job, not just militarily; all my worst supervisors have been military.

G4S Secure Solutions North America Photos