GAI Consultants

Updated Jul 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gary DeJidas, P.E.

Good way to get your foot in the door, but pay for entry level positions is low

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThey hire with little to no experience, so it's a great resume builder straight out of college. Lots of good people working there.

ConsPay is lower than average which leads to a high turnover rate. Some positions require constant travel. Unless you work in the Pittsburgh or Orlando office it's difficult to advance in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a greater effort to compensate junior staff

Always willing to save a penny to spend a pound.

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGood sense of community among employees. Good retirement benefits. Making an effort to change. Some departments have great flex time and opportunity to work from home.

ConsConstant organizational changes. Stingy on real training but big on lunchtime "training" presentations. High employee turnover. They seem to be unfocused on their internal infrastructure such as computers, servers, and vehicles at the expense of employee productivity.
    Hiring is full of nepotism and Human Resources is generally unresponsive when attempting to hire new employees, sometimes losing resumes.
    Very little holiday time, but vacation hours grow faster than some other places.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe willing to fire bad middle-management and crack down on nepotism. Search out employees who are pain points.

best company i have ever worked for

Lead CAD Operator (Former Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsGAI was excellent place for me hone my skill due to fact i had been out of the CAD world for 7 years

Consreally and truly didnt see any cons

Advice to Senior Managementplease re-hire me!!! hoping and praying for a call back.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

VERY greedy C-level executives

ProsThe only pro to working here is to have a paycheck while looking for a long-term job

ConsBack-stabbing and blaming starts at the C-level headed by Gary DeJidas (CEO) and further exasperated by Tony Morocco (COO). Company is bleeding revenue due to excessive greed. Employees are squeezed out when the greed game is not played. I predict company will not last 5 years while these two men are in charge.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management is a waste of breath. They've been given 3rd party advice and chose to ignore it.

A great place to work, good people.

Director of Engineering (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

Prosthe people and associations that GAI has is remarkable. the professionalism and the detail in the work.

ConsOne can get lost if you do not keep up with the rapid changes.

Advice to Senior Managementshow more care when you say you care for the employee. really mean it.

SAD

Senior Designer (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Prosthere are no pros to working for gai

Consthe co did more to create disharmoney than anywhere else i have worked

Advice to Senior Managementnone, you cant tell them anything

Great Working Atmosphere

ProsGreat support staff to help and guide you through whatever you need to get the best results to the clients.

ConsWorking as a field employee you do not get many opportunities to meet some of the wonderful coworkers in the main office.

Don't Waste Your Time

Lead Designer (Former Employee) Fort Wayne, IN

ProsThere are none that I can recall. If you are upper level management it appears to be a great place to work. *Edit* I had the privilege of working with some excellent people in the Fort Wayne office. Derek, Scott, John, Kelley, Nicci, Melanie, and Misty are all fine people and made up an excellent staff. Unfortunately all but Misty were gone by the time I left. My criticism below is not a reflection of these people. The backstabbers who were responsible for these people leaving got their promotions but destroyed local morale in the process. *End Edit*

ConsWay too much blame assigning. When things go wrong, it's not a time to figure out solutions, it's a time to figure out where to place blame. This leads to the inevitable feces flowing downhill. They stress accountability, but usually the person accountable is pointing the finger at someone else who doesn't believe in throwing another employee under the bus. In the end, the person responsible avoids being accountable, and the team player ends up being disciplined.

There were way too many lunch time "voluntary" seminars. Of course they take attendance at these events, and if you are not there, they WILL hold it against you. During my stay there it was not uncommon to have three events each week. They don't provide lunch, and you aren't paid for your time. Not one of these events was ever worthwhile, except for the person presenting the event. That person would receive valuable brown nosing points.

Upper management rewards employees for suggesting ways for the company to save money, which usually involves shafting mid and lower level employees.

If you are not working in Pittsburgh, you are a second class employee. You can never make any decisions on your own. Everything must be approved by Pittsburgh. A previous reviewer who mentioned micromanagement was spot on. I once got reprimanded for signing a company form in the wrong ink color.

Another reviewer mentioned nepotism. This also is spot on. If you have a family member at the top, you too can be a vice president!

Absolutely no concern for employees' personal situations. While I was there, they fired an IT person when a backup went bad while this employee's dad was in the hospital after suffering a massive heart attack.

I really could go on and on, but I think this list would never end.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop patting yourselves on the back. Nobody really likes you. They are just sucking up.

Opportunity and growth for young environmental professionals

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Homestead, PA

ProsCareer development opportunities, management listens to and considers new ideas from junior staff, potential for flexible schedule (depending on supervisor and department). The management seems to have responded well to recent employee satisfaction surveys where the results were pretty bad and have worked hard to make company-wide improvements. Great location for Homestead office.

ConsThe QA/QC data management system is ineffective and time-consuming/annoying for everyone involved. It takes too much time to chase signatures of reviewers, scan and email everything, and file forms...we end up charging our clients for the time it takes us to process annoying paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to and respect younger staff. Capitalize on the growth and demand from the Marcellus industry. Support work/life balance and allow competent hard-working staff to work from home part-time during the week.

Main campus is great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLaid back office. If you are not working on a project there is plenty of resources to help you look for more work.

ConsThe office is really set up to serve out of Pitt. If you want to work on any interesting projects get out there.

Worked for GAI Consultants? Contribute to the Community!