GAIN Capital

Updated August 20, 2014
2.6

GAIN Capital CEO Glenn Stevens
Glenn Stevens

Pros
  • Its great for an entry level position but when advancement opportunities do come along, the compensation is not commensurate (in 3 reviews)

• Generally good people to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low remuneration for a financial services firm, only senior management get paid well (in 4 reviews)

• Management members have no clue how to lead or manage people (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Never a dull moment

Current Employee - Manager, Operations in Bedminster, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager, Operations in Bedminster, NJ

I have been working at GAIN Capital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a small enough company where individuals have the opportunity to effect change. Its great for an entry level position but when advancement opportunities do come along, the compensation is not commensurate. It's a fun, addictive place to work.

Cons

Priorities shift too often. There is often a lack of direction.

Invest in and value your employees.

An abusive & ethically challenged management team not lacking in bullying tactics with the charm of a used car salesman

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedminster, NJ

I worked at GAIN Capital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You have the privilege of boasting to your friends and family that you are employed.

Cons

If you are looking for a management team embodying the motto 'you are expendable', look no further. Gain will neither invest in you, nurture your talent, reward your hard work nor see any worth in you at all. Frankly, they are not sure why they even hired you in the first place. This is a chaotic and highly dysfunctional culture with each employee attempting to survive yet another day, week, month and year from witchhunts that permeate the ranks particularly when something inexplicably may not align with ill-conceived planning, unreasonable expectations and crude methodologies. Did I mention zero accountability, decency and respect by senior leadership? These are all foreign notions to each of them. If you care at all about your mental health and professional reputation, bypass this place. It is vitriolic.

I have no advice for management since they are all worthless. My advice is to the board - replace all management members starting with the longest tenured.

Easy paced

Current Employee - Director in Bedminster, NJ

I have been working at GAIN Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work culture, No commute to city, good benefits

Cons

Average Pay, Top mgmt not aggressively developing products

Get more competitive and become #1

ok place to work

Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Bedminster, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Bedminster, NJ

I worked at GAIN Capital full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Management - lack of direction at company

Listen to your best performers -

Change is coming for you miserable low/mid/upper management

I worked at GAIN Capital full-time

Pros

Maybe the free water and cups

Cons

A very disrespectful/ unprofessional group of managers. If FXCM purchased the company, there is no doubt in my mind most if not all of the mid-upper CS management would lose their jobs. Just a horrible experience.

Go back to the rock you came from under and be miserable by yourselves.

Dysfunctional company, toxic culture

Current Employee - Director in Bedminster, NJ

I have been working at GAIN Capital full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Junior staff by and large are very nice and helpful.

Cons

Very negative work environment. Absolutely no focus on goal setting, vision, leadership or employee development. Staff below management level are miserable and openly job hunting. Management members have no clue how to lead or manage people. Company performance is dismal, as evidenced by plummeting stock price since the company went public two years ago. They brought in a consultant to try to fix the broken culture, but minimal support from management team members means very little chance of change.

Remove the CEO and do a major house cleaning at the talentless VP level, which is destroying what was once an innovative, dynamic company.

Very good place to learn and be involved in the financial sector

I worked at GAIN Capital

Pros

- Very flexible
    - Good place to start a career
    - Friendly environment

Cons

- Very very low compensation.
    - No rooms for advancements
    - Super low communication rate.
    - Extremely high pressure.
    - Non managers are treated " little people " despite how smart or dedicated they are.
    - Skilled individuals are idle and morale is low, you don't exist if you don't follow the rules or what you had been told.
    - Highly disorganized.
    - Place for friends and families and not for professional skilled individuals.
    - Few are dedicated and the most are unqualified workers.

- Remember the people who worked 24/7 to help the firm go public/make those millions for you. It's not necessary to toss them out/treat them like garbage and speaks volumes about your class and values.
    - Know who is good and keep them interested, invest in them and not out of them.Don't hesitate to trim the fat and cut the non-performers.
    - Stop acting like you know everything where you know nothing, not a problem to consult, listen and have a planned strategy to invest and grow and not save and pretend to be growing.
    - Small rewards are appreciable especially for those dedicated individuals.
    - Don't look for your own benefit and pretend to be looking for the overall firm.
    - Focus on your fundamentals, you have brilliant people committed to creating value by their superior innovation and ideas, it is not just you who lead the firm, it is everyone's contribution to their day to day work.

Positive

I have been working at GAIN Capital

Pros

Flexibility, opportunity, fast growing industry, etc.

Cons

Location, stronger communication, diversify product offerings, stronger move to creating client solutions and just not copying the competition.

Increase communication

I have to get out of here!!!

I have been working at GAIN Capital

Pros

Young demographic and decent people to work with. I suppose since expectations are constantly being lowered, there are no surprises when raises and bonuses are suck.

Cons

This place is slowly sucking the life out of me. We used to have some pretty decent middle managers but the better they are, the higher the probability they will get the ax. I suppose if there was a plan to replace them, that would be a little understandable but they just get replaced with lower level managers who are too green to know what they're doing. Sr management is totally clueless. After 5 years with the company, their incompetance continues to astound me. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have left a long time ago. The sad thing is, I wasn't lazy before I started working at GAIN. Maybe there's a corrolation.

Quit! PLEASE!!!! Decision after decision from the top only benefits the handful of people who run the company. We all get treated liked fools and for some reason we just take it. I really don't think management cares one bit for anyone in the company but themselves. If the company is doing so bad that it can't give raises or pay decent bonuses, how come all you guys seem to get new luxury or high end sports car every year when I can barely afford to keep my 10 year old piece of crap running?

Unprofessional work environment

I worked at GAIN Capital

Pros

-Gives exposure to work in a financial industry

Cons

-Unprofessional work environment
    -Managers not capable of handling the work and managing, but have the right to hire or fire at their will.
    -Overworked, unstructured work environment
    -Performance reviews are based on the relationship you share with your manager, not a structured performance review
    -Salary, bonus is very less compared to the work you do.
    -One shoulder, 100's of responsibilities in an unstructured environment
    -Would not recommend anyone joining this company. Very bad experience.
    -People are hired and fired at the manager's will.

Accept that the management is horrible and work towards people management along with your personal & company achievements. Please create a structured work environment.

GAIN Capital Photos