GATX Rail

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Brian A. Kenney

Great work like balance, but sacrifice the pay to get it.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWork life balance is the best reason to work for GATX and probably the second best reason is the type of people you would work with.

ConsThe compensation and career advancement opportunities are limited at GATX. GATX operates in a mature market and rail is the main component of its business.

They paid for my house over the years , now they are trying to take it away ...

Railcar Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsThe integrity of a weld bead ... is more important to them than the integrity of a human being ... I will add they are quite proficient in guidelines, calibrations,forms and all the paperwork that goes with the job ... I always said , if gatx ran the government , we'd have this deficit down real quick ... checks and balances ...

ConsThere is not much heart and soul there ... The operational outfits are looked at as less than human and if you try to help the company out by letting them know where things are going down the tubes ,you are shown the door after all the spin doctoring and cover ups are installed ....

Advice to Senior ManagementDont judge a man, woman or situation until you have all of the facts ... doing so without that needed info is called prejudice ... Clean house or promote from inside if you can with the Human Resources Department ... They are on cruise control with providing needed assistance when needed by an employee .... no follow through seems to be the main problem ...

GATX is a real "old school" company. Not a good company if you're looking for upward mobility.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternal online training opportunities are available, but only if the manager approves it. If you're in the right "clique" you will definitely succeed.

ConsIf you're in the "clique" you get the right projects, support, mentorship and exposure to help you succeed. Only those in the "clique" get promoted and believe me those are the same names that you see all the time. Others have been in the same position forever. If you're looking for diversity in management positions, forget about it!

From my experience, they offer online training, but only allow you to train for things in your area, and only with management approval. If you want to self-train for another department your manager knows and won't approve it because it doesn't apply to your current job. With this being said, you will never acquire skills to move on or be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees even if it means the non-verbal communication. Offer more opportunities for the "regular" people. Give them the opportunity to learn about what other departments actually do. Let them train online, on their own time, for positions outside of their own area.

Worked for GATX Rail? Contribute to the Community!