GC Micro

4.5

Belinda Guadarrama

Nurturing Environment, Great Training, and a Fun Place to Work

Current Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I'll start with what you walk in to, an amazing training program. They teach you everything you need to be able to succeed at the job you've been hired for. Negotiation tactics, closing techniques, and scripts to make sure you don't blank on a call. The training is nicely structured and you get to actually use the skills you're taught right away, so they don't just go in one ear and out the other.

Once you finish training and hit the floor, you enter into an extremely supportive and nurturing environment. Everyone on the team wants you to succeed and will do whatever they can to help. No one has to do this alone, there are many people around you to help guide you along the way.

Finally, the pay. Commission sales can be very lucrative, but it's also scary for some people - especially those who have never done it before. Don't be. If you are confident in your abilities and can follow the advice of the rest of the staff, you'll do fine.

Cons

My only gripe is that I'm not able to take lunch whenever I want. The set lunch hour is from 12-1.

Great job with the training and setting a good path for people to follow.

They wanted me to give a commitment and I did. Then at exactly 3 months... I was not a "good fit".

I worked at GC Micro

Pros

Truly Quality Training Program. Learned a lot that I can take with me personally and now know where to look and who to look for, as far as personal growth material.

Cons

The name GC Micro is fitting. Cause they truly micro manage the crap out of you. Do not shy away from the script. They hire you for your personality and talents and then quickly let you know that they mean nothing. I worked for exactly 3 months, I did everything they asked of me, and did it well. I took what work they would allow me to home so that I could be the best I could. I memorized the material quicker than anyone I was training with. I gave more to this job than any job prior, I was learning everyday and studying everyday, and then... They let me go. I begged for an answer as to why, for something I could learn from or at least to share with my family. But it was done. I was never given a chance to sell anything.

Salespeople make good money.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm on the phone all the time. Half of time I'm making cold calls and the rest I'm taking orders from my existing clients. If you like to talk and treat your customers like they are your friends, then you should do fine here. However, it takes a while to build up my customer base. So being patience helps. Health insurance is standard stuff. I'm in my early 30's and I rarely go see a doctor.

Cons

Like I said, I'm on the phone all the time. I don't have time to fill out sales orders.

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have nothing but great things to say about GCM. Absolute the best work environment to work in. I have been here long enough to see people come and go and one thing is clear. Successful people in GCM have a strong work ethic and self motivation.

Cons

I can't think of anything bad to say.

You've been doing great for so long, I don't think you need my advice.

This company has great potential.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

GC Micro is one of the top 10 Hispanic-owned companies in America. They've been receiving performance awards year after year from client companies such as Boeing. They must be doing something right.

Cons

Occasionally, there are employees in the office who join the company with the expectation of what the company needs to do for them right away. At the same time, they produce very little or nothing for the company. They also tend to be difficult to work with. These are folks who end up leaving the company very quickly and then blame the company for mistreating them. I'm willing to bet they are the ones who left bad reviews on this site. They are nothing but parasites to any company.

Just keep doing what you're doing!

Love all the personal development and supportive management

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been here for 10 years, not only do I love my job and what I do, I'm so thankful for all the personal development.

Cons

There are none. This company is amazing. I love coming into the office everyday. The people I work with are my family.

I will work here until I retire.

CAN BE A CAREER NOT JUST A GREAT JOB FOR THE RIGHT PERSON

Current Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most places I have worked there was a lot of complaining about the company and management. GC Micro is just the opposite. Everybody loves the place. Management and staff work together on common goals. It’s a unique and nurturing environment. They encourage you to feel and act like a business partners not just an employee. The softball team, gym and daily basketball games are fun. There are a lot of close friendships among the staff.

Cons

Can’t think of anything worth mentioning, any cons are outnumbered by pros 100 to 1.

GC Micro has won more awards than any small business in California. I don’t think they need my advice.

INCREDIBLE SALES AND PERSONEL DEVELOPMENT TRAINING, TEAM ATMOSPHERE, THE BEST OPPORTUNITY YOU WILL EVER HAVE, $$$$$$

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When you step into the lobby of GC Micro you will see two large trophy cases. Those cases are filled with every possible award a small business can receive in America including one from the President of the United States. How do you do that for 28 years in the IT industry? By treating your staff, your customers and your suppliers with the highest levels of respect, honesty and integrity. You also accomplish that by attracting and keeping the finest staff available and treating them like the champions they are.

Cons

Notice how even the negative comments refer to the training as being good and even GREAT. Notice one person who said the "commission structure was not competitive" worked there for "more than five years." Another person who described GC Micro as, "One of the worst companies you could possibly work for", also worked there for "more than 5 years". If you went into a restaurant and the food was over priced and the WORST food you have ever eaten, would you go back every night for "more than 5 years"? Maybe it wasn't GC Micro that was the problem?

One negative comment described GC Micro as "A tad myopic". I don't think that person ever actually worked at GC Micro. That comment probably came from an angry competitor. They mentioned a co-owner, there is no co-owner. The also described it as a "good old boys club." Thats interesting, the owner is a woman, the controller is a woman, the sales manager is a woman and the head of training is a woman.

GC Micro offers every person excellent training and a fantastic opportunity to be extremely successful. Not everyone can make the grade and those people are angry and blame the company. They refuse to take responsibility for their lives and their careers and that is why they failed. Negative people are doomed to fail no matter where they go.

Get some bigger trophy cases.

COULDN'T BE MORE PLEASED WITH MY CHOICE. Wonderful training program, compensation and benefits package very competitive.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Petaluma, CA

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The vibe here is great. Sales meetings are so energizing, fun even. First time I don't dread them. Colleagues are awesome. The gym is great, and so fun as many of us use it and the basketball court also. I feel valued and respected. Great incentives. Maui? Yes, please.

Cons

The person in the cube next to me doesn't shower after he plays basketball at lunch. LOL!

Next time we get tickets to a concert, farther from the front because my ears are still ringing from the Stones concert in San Jose.

Amazing, Wonderful, Life-changing, Fantastic Training, Supportive, Happy, Fun, Integrity, Company of Champions

I have been working at GC Micro full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been at GC Micro for over 10 years. When I look over the negative reviews I have to laugh because I know exactly who each of those people are and why they no longer work at GC Micro – [insert Paul Harvey here with “the rest of the story”! LOL]. There’s always more to it.

GC Micro changed my life for the better in so many ways and is such a fantastic company it probably sounds unbelievable, but I’ll tell you anyway.

The sales training you are exposed to is life-changing – my kids will never worry about money because of what I learned and IMPLEMENTED in my career.

People who work at GC Micro are HAPPY (negative-nellies need not apply!).

The atmosphere is family-like. It never feels like you’re “going to work” it’s just “coming into the office” – it doesn’t feel like “work” because people at GC Micro like what they do (and if they don’t, they leave – we have a saying, “You can stay or you can go, but you can’t stay and complain!”).

The commission rate is higher than any I’ve seen in the industry. And GC Micro pays you what they say they are going to pay you. It’s all up-front, in writing, clear to understand, no surprises.
    PLUS there are bonus incentives, including monetary incentives, all-expense paid trips that knock your socks off, excellent seats (often front row!) to the best concerts, super-fancy dinners at top-rated restaurants and other fun surprises.

GC Micro is big on team building and we are constantly doing fun things both in and out of the office - from simple things like lunch-time BBQs to more organized events like ropes courses.

As far as the health insurance goes, I’m not sure what the naysayers are talking about. I recently compared my health plan against that of a half a dozen of my closest, well-employed friends (who work for Fortune 500 firms, are self-employed, or work for other small businesses). I would not trade my insurance for ANY of the plans my friends have. Evidently some former employees prefer Obamacare, COBRA, paying for their own insurance or waiting in line at public health centers. While any care is better than none, GC Micro’s is ahead of what most companies (large or small) are offering nowadays.

A common phrase at GC Micro is, “If it is to be, it’s up to me.” If you don’t succeed at GC Micro, I guarantee it’s not the company!

Cons

There are no cons to being at GC Micro. GC Micro has proven itself to be a company of honesty, integrity and loyalty. It’s a great place to have a career.

GC Micro has been a successful business for over 28 years –longer than most of us have been in the work force. I don’t have any advice for management. I appreciate the advice that management has given me to dramatically improve my paycheck and the quality of my life.