GC Services

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
2.7

Frank A. Taylor

Pros
  • Started right out of high school and learned the ropes of working in a call center (in 5 reviews)

• Attendance policy makes it literally impossible to get fired (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay but the work is equivalent to what you earn (in 6 reviews)

• Some) Upper management are tolerant of middle management abuse, as long as they top their bonus (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Emotionally tolling but pays well.

Former Employee - Account Representative in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Lansing, MI

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The bonus could be really big, if you were consistent. The most successful collector averaged about $1200 in bonus monthly. The months I did get bonus I got $200-$500. There were frequent contests with gift cards as prizes, and a gas card each month for the top collector. There were celebrations for every holiday, some at work and others both at work and outside. The managers actually care for and are interested about you. The dress code was supposed to be business casual but it was casual 99.9% of the time due to fundraising contests. I think I dressed formally maybe 3-4 days, including my first 2 days in which I had not paid my fees to be casual. The company really does a lot to keep the job fun between the contests and the parties. Several times management randomly provided breakfast. Paid training lasted for about 3-4 weeks (I had a very large class). At the end of it, I did not feel very prepared, but I was pretty much as prepared as I could be. A lot of it simply comes from experience. Also, our trainer was extremely fun and outgoing and made the whole process totally worth it. A lot of it is learning about very boring laws and how to use the program, and she totally made it interesting. Management listens to complaints. I was invited to several work-shopping sessions in which they allow a couple of collectors to meet with higher management and programmers to work on and suggest improvements.

Cons

The job is extremely emotionally tolling. People scream at you all day, every day. Some phone calls are very easy and you can collect a lot but some days are filled with nothing but rough calls and very little collections. You have to be very resilient person. When you are in the hiring process they warn you every step of the way that it is not an easy job. Also, MARCS, the program used, feels very outdated. It works well and does it's job but it is very bland to look at for 9 hours a day and has a lot of excess features that just cloud up your screen. Sometimes, and especially when you work a late shift, there will be no managers on the floor. That would be extremely frustrating. There might've only been one there and if they wander off for whatever reason and you have a supervisor call, you're screwed.

Either get more managers or make some sort of policy that there has to be 2 acting managers on the floor at all times.

An indescribable experience

Former Employee - Coll in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Coll in Knoxville, TN

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to make a lot of money

Cons

Stress, communication, monthly goals are set too high

Good entry level into collections.

Current Employee - Collector in Irwindale, CA
    Current Employee - Collector in Irwindale, CA

I have been working at GC Services

Pros

Great co workers, easy work

Cons

Poor time off system, management sometimes inexperienced. How things get done usually depends on someone's attitude that day.

positive environment

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Copperas Cove, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Copperas Cove, TX

I have been working at GC Services

Pros

attendance incentive pay, good benefits, positive environment, able to help people everyday

Cons

lots of sitting, difficult customer calls

Unit Manager

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Copperas Cove, TX
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Copperas Cove, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working with upper management was the best part.

Cons

The turnover made it hard to keep your team trained.

Make the interview process a little harder.

I have worked at GC Services for three years full time.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GC Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

40 hours/week guaranteed
    Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Contest Bonus
    Paid Vacation

Cons

Management treat others like they are way lower than you.
    It is very boring with little to do.
    The pay is very little for getting yelled at everyday on the phone.
    Unorganized

dept of ed collections

I have been working at GC Services

Pros

pay is good vs other collection companies, hours are ok you work two late nights and two saturdays, coworkers are helpful

Cons

manage with imitation, they try to find little things that you are not doing correct and write you up when your doing everything correct,

make achievable goals and praise your employees when they are doing everything you ask of them, no is going to answer or pay their bills on the weeken

Nice place to start out...

Former Employee - WFM Analyst in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - WFM Analyst in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A good first job to have.

Cons

Not competitive pay compared to similar jobs in the valley.

account rep

I have been working at GC Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good money, fun people, clean work place.

Cons

horrible hours, no flexibility at all

You Deserve Better

I worked at GC Services

Pros

Coworkers. I met some amazing people that became very good friends.

Cons

Let me give you a brief description of what this place is;
    This is a 3rd party call center that several Vendors Bid on. Vendors such as Apple, Sprint, Nike and the list goes on. What happens is Big companies ask for a place that can provide customer service at a cheap price so they don't have to build a call center. GC Services selects a Bid from a vendor and take it from there. From there they decide a Pay wage out of that bid to pay the workers and do with the rest whatever they please. At this point the job is to make the bigger company look good. GC does the 'dirty work' so to speak. That's about it. If GC meets the expectations of the company, being good numbers and OK Customer service than they don't care what happens.

If you need a job, this is an easy job to get. In fact its more challenging not to get this job. You start on the phones for whatever vendor you pick, than if the managers like you can move up. Those qualifications you have? Throw them out the window. Did you go to college for several years but get laid off and need to get by? Who cares at GC! When I worked there I at one point worked next to someone who had a Masters in Business. This was entry level. No, Here at GC Services everything is disgustingly based off of Favoritism. Take it from a 4 year Veteran of this place, This is not an angry rant. This is a cold-hard-truth.

This Place will you repeatedly ask how to make your job better just so they can say they did it. Everything you say will go in one ear and out the other. The stress resulting from the working conditions of this god forsaken call center nearly caused me a Heart-attack. I am in my early 20's.

If you are on rock bottom and absolutely need a job, Here you go. If you have any self respect, please don't waste your time. You deserve better.

Actually Caring for your Employee's would be a good start.