GC Services Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
120 reviews filtered by
2.8
Frank A. Taylor

Pros
  • Started right out of high school and learned the ropes of working in a call center (in 5 reviews)

• Attendance policy makes it literally impossible to get fired (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay but the work is equivalent to what you earn (in 6 reviews)

• Some) Upper management are tolerant of middle management abuse, as long as they top their bonus (in 6 reviews)

1. Great training/High attrition

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Offers great training for recruits, particularly those with little experience. The company manages an average salary, particularly for those who do not have any education higher than a high school diploma.

Cons

One downside to the pro point is that the management is sometimes lackluster and it often feels that there is little direction once the employee leaves the training room. Also, the company does little to empower their representatives, particularly when dealing with difficult customer cases.

As any organizational management team would say, invest in your people. Furthermore, invest in the growth and development of your managers. This needs to be two-fold objective. Develop team leaders to be exactly that: leaders and managers. Investing in a well structured leadership/management training program will undoubtedly go a long way.

2. They did not fire me but just excercised right to work term only after 2 months of work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at GC Services

Pros

People were nice. No one yelled at me.

Cons

Sweatshop. Working from 7:30am - 6:30PM and some weekends.

People don't work for free.

3. Great entry level opportunity.

Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GC Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Employment stability (company is not going to have financial issues anytime soon).

Cons

Limited growth opportunities. Great entry level but, not much in regards to ladder climbing.

5. Great company to work for as a first job.

Former Employee - Personal Phone Banker in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Personal Phone Banker in El Paso, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits after 6 months are great and there are plenty of opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

Very strict when it comes to missing work for emergencies and there is no set schedule. It varies from day to day. Bilingual representatives do twice the work and get paid the same rate as English-only representatives.

Reconsider pay for bilingual phone agents.

6. Training good

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at GC Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

they have good training class

Cons

very little money To be paid

Pay should start at least $10.00 Hr This is no commissions to be earned

7. Not a long term job or career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weldon Spring, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Weldon Spring, MO

I have been working at GC Services

Pros

Company provides a set schedule, decent benefits and incentives, company has never has lay offs (or so they claim.) Good place to learn call center, accounting and collecting skills. Main focus of company is attendance, if you can be early to each shift, this could be a great job for you.

Cons

Can often a political environment. Upward mobility is easy for some, difficult for others. Work is monotonous. Perfect attendance is key. If you like to be 5 minutes late regularly or need to miss work occasionally, you will often miss out on raises or promotions.

Promote those with true leadership skills. Start at a higher rate of pay. Focus on employee retention. Build employee relationships. Stop using the business model that encourages your low level managers to see employees as seat fillers instead of potential long term assets.

8. Excellent pay, Great benefits, worked with great people, a lot of team building, results driven and rewarded, great atm

Current Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at GC Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great incentives and competitive work environment. They do a great job of promoting team chemistry

Cons

This job is not for everyone it consist of a lot of sitting and dealing with rude customers all day

While I was there the management staff was excellent. They have an awesome open door policy and seem to appreciate associate feedback

9. Too much pressure

Former Employee - LAccount Representative
    Former Employee - LAccount Representative

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good training in the classroom and out on the production floor.

Cons

Lot of pressure to perform, Graded on everything, not getting breaks and lunch according to the labor laws, got fired because I was told i spent too much time on the phone with the customer

10. Emotionally tolling but pays well.

Former Employee - Account Representative in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Lansing, MI

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The bonus could be really big, if you were consistent. The most successful collector averaged about $1200 in bonus monthly. The months I did get bonus I got $200-$500. There were frequent contests with gift cards as prizes, and a gas card each month for the top collector. There were celebrations for every holiday, some at work and others both at work and outside. The managers actually care for and are interested about you. The dress code was supposed to be business casual but it was casual 99.9% of the time due to fundraising contests. I think I dressed formally maybe 3-4 days, including my first 2 days in which I had not paid my fees to be casual. The company really does a lot to keep the job fun between the contests and the parties. Several times management randomly provided breakfast. Paid training lasted for about 3-4 weeks (I had a very large class). At the end of it, I did not feel very prepared, but I was pretty much as prepared as I could be. A lot of it simply comes from experience. Also, our trainer was extremely fun and outgoing and made the whole process totally worth it. A lot of it is learning about very boring laws and how to use the program, and she totally made it interesting. Management listens to complaints. I was invited to several work-shopping sessions in which they allow a couple of collectors to meet with higher management and programmers to work on and suggest improvements.

Cons

The job is extremely emotionally tolling. People scream at you all day, every day. Some phone calls are very easy and you can collect a lot but some days are filled with nothing but rough calls and very little collections. You have to be very resilient person. When you are in the hiring process they warn you every step of the way that it is not an easy job. Also, MARCS, the program used, feels very outdated. It works well and does it's job but it is very bland to look at for 9 hours a day and has a lot of excess features that just cloud up your screen. Sometimes, and especially when you work a late shift, there will be no managers on the floor. That would be extremely frustrating. There might've only been one there and if they wander off for whatever reason and you have a supervisor call, you're screwed.

Either get more managers or make some sort of policy that there has to be 2 acting managers on the floor at all times.

11. An indescribable experience

Former Employee - Coll in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Coll in Knoxville, TN

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Ability to make a lot of money

Cons

Stress, communication, monthly goals are set too high