GC Services

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.8

Frank A. Taylor

Pros
  • Started right out of high school and learned the ropes of working in a call center (in 5 reviews)

• Attendance policy makes it literally impossible to get fired (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay but the work is equivalent to what you earn (in 6 reviews)

• Some) Upper management are tolerant of middle management abuse, as long as they top their bonus (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Collections Analyst/ Toyota/Lexus Financial Services

Current Employee - Collections Analyst in Copperas Cove, TX
    Current Employee - Collections Analyst in Copperas Cove, TX

I have been working at GC Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid training, opportunity to earn up to $2.00 more an hour when stats are met and schedule is adhered to. For the project I work for Upper Management and Team Leaders have always gone out of their way to make sure employees are taken care of. We are family and we look after one another. Government paid holidays after 3 mo. of employment and a chance to move up the company if willing to work hard.

Cons

Team leaders need to learn not to micromanage so much. Others need to learn how to better communicate with their employees on their team and not be so critical.

Overall a good Company. I would suggest training in proper etiquette for Team Leaders on speaking with their employees. Some are lacking.

Great group of people working at GC Services

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People - Fellow Employees were generally supportive in a changing environment.

Cons

Seemed to be a great deal of Office Politics. Instead of allowing the Teams to complete their required work, we were asked to report the work scheduled and completed on a daily basis. Too CONTROLLING....

Let folks do their work correctly - leave out the micro-management....

Good opportunities, but obstacles as well

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Lansing, MI

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Learned a tremendous amount about dealing with people, both the public and coworkers. There was opportunity to learn many different facets of the business, and to function in a variety of roles. Pay was adequate but not outstanding, although there were good bonus and, at times, attendance incentives. There was an effort to make sure that disciplinary issues were handled fairly and consistently.

Cons

Positive culture overall, but with a negative undercurrent. For example, doing employee reviews, you were expected to find SOMETHING negative to say even if your employee was doing a good job, even on monthly evaluations. There was a good deal of covering one's own tail out of fear of job security. I once reported to a higher manager who micro-managed most of her subordinate managers to pieces, which sent a message of her lack of trust in us, and which I think was driven by her fear of being the one without a chair if the music stopped.

I have been away 3½ years, so I don't know the current circumstances. If things are about the same, I would say treat the hourly employees like adults, let your managers know you trust them, and try to improve on the tendency to look for the negative. Everyone has room for improvement, but if someone is doing a good job let them know it without feeling like you have to water it down. Avoid sending mixed signals - I felt very little support much of the time for using my own discretion, and on one occasion where I adhered strictly to what I felt we were able to do, was severely treated for having not thought outside the box.

Decent Management Training

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can be entry-level, promotions from within, decent medical, dental & vision insurance. The management training program helped educate non-business world people how to become ethical business professionals, which is fabulous because many of the people in management have started as an entry-level employee with little to no experience. In this way, the company provides a great service to the local community with education and economic growth.

Cons

Because it is a lot of low skilled, entry-level work, highly skilled people just looking for a paycheck will be bored easily. If you can stick it out six months to a year, you'll most likely be in a management position. Also, there is a high turnover rate here, which tends to be a red flag for poor training and management. I think this may vary from center to center. Due to the promotions mostly being from within, it matters who you associate with. Maintain professionalism at all times, and you will move up very quickly.

Pay management more. They are working about 55 hours a week to meet their goals, and most of them are earning less than $12 an hour. For Management. That is absolutely unheard of.

You get what you put into it.

Former Employee - Account Representative in Killeen, TX
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Killeen, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They work to place you somewhere else if your project ends. Keeping you employed.

Cons

Small Break Areas. Not many places to sit.

No Need To Micro Manage

Former Employee - Unit Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at GC Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Friendly, Family Atmosphere, Professional, Training.

Cons

Favoritism, Micro Management, CYA, Life Balance

Do stop favouritism, Take information and make changes, consider middle management as friends not excess.

Flexible hours, incentives are becoming impossible though.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at GC Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

3 schedule changes per month
    performance-based incentive up to 3$ per hour
    generally friendly management
    friendly environment overall, but with lots of casual homophobia, sexism

Cons

higher management is completely inept
    it is now really hard to make your full 3$ incentive
    if you are 8 minutes late to work or back from lunch on a day with a schedule change you can't get another one for a full month
    constantly changing policies and incentive plans
    job can be grinding, sitting at a desk for 6-8 hours listening to people's problems isn't very enjoyable

Sad place to work, easy check.

Current Employee - Account Representative in Copperas Cove, TX
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Copperas Cove, TX

I have been working at GC Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job isn't that hard honestly. You answer a phone, read a couple scripts, say thank you for calling and hang up. If you want to be really aggressive you can bonus an extra $2/hr (at least when I worked there) every pay check, so twice a month. They hire just about anyone too as long as you pass a drug test and it's next to impossible to get fired.

Cons

Lots of pressure from management to make people pay, no matter the circumstances. I couldn't stay any longer than I did. On a daily basis I was basically strong-arming people into forgoing paying other bills, (rent, food, medicine, etc...) in order to pay Toyota by threatening their credit and other methods. Low pay but the work is equivalent to what you earn. Also, keep your business to yourself. The place is a gossip factory.

I would say upper management shouldn't put so much pressure on lower management to put so much pressure on account reps to get payments, but in reality I know that's the nature of the business and these jobs wouldn't exist if companies didn't think GC employees could get the job done. Offer a better wage might be my best advice. People will work harder and be more professional in my opinion.

Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Copperas Cove, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Copperas Cove, TX

I worked at GC Services full-time

Pros

Steady pay and overtime opportunities, paid training

Cons

Non flexible and unstable schedule, unfair treatment from supervisors, poor benefit opportunities

Treat all employees with respect, not just the ones you like. Be fair when granting raises and promotions.

The company GC Services, Weldon Springs Mo

Former Employee - Fraud Prevention Agent in Weldon Spring, MO
    Former Employee - Fraud Prevention Agent in Weldon Spring, MO

I worked at GC Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good company to work for got hired on the spot and received 3 breaks 2 15min and 1 30 min break

Cons

the pay being 8-9 dollars a hour it wasnt enough pay for the amount of work they asked us to do and if they say you are suspended that means you are fired and not alot of opportunity to advance

give your good reps chances to make up mistakes since your turn over rate is so high already