GCA Services

Updated October 10, 2014
Updated October 10, 2014
2.5

Bob Norton

Pros
  • good people, good work, solid work (in 4 reviews)

• Most of the account managers are underpaid, given minimal support, but continue work hard and do the best with what they have (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Hiring of upper management and sales reps with NO facilities service (janitorial) experience (in 10 reviews)

• Senior management in my opinion did not have a realistic view of the contract sales environment (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor management and training.

Current Employee - Janitor in Bryant, AR
    Current Employee - Janitor in Bryant, AR

I have been working at GCA Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to come and go as you want. Others will do work for you if you want to be lazy or it just won't get done at all with no trouble.

Cons

Having clients get mad for bad work.

Don't just hire anyone and get upper management to actually do something productive. My account manager comes around to only complain and yell at us.

Pretty good job

Current Employee - Janitorial in Edmond, OK
    Current Employee - Janitorial in Edmond, OK

I have been working at GCA Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a good job until GCA lost their contract.

Cons

Always needed supplies to do the work properly

Working and meeting a lot of friendly people, and working on a college campus meeting students.

Former Employee - Custodian in Clemson, SC
    Former Employee - Custodian in Clemson, SC

I worked at GCA Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for GCA you get to experience working with many different people of different back grounds. And the environment I worked in was very relaxing. Schedules are flexible and training is good.

Cons

This is located on a college campus and can get very busy at times when it comes to doing your job duties. Also, the pay could be better considering the amount of work being done, the company can improve by bringing the starting pay up a little.

Considering the amount of work that has to be done, starting pay should be based on that.

Started out great. Slowly went down due to budgets.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Pensacola, FL

I worked at GCA Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

GCA has good benefits and retirement.

Cons

Worries to much about the stockholders and not the employees and customers.

Keep your word to ALL employees.

Terrible experience

I worked at GCA Services full-time

Pros

Easy job, mindless work.
    It's a job

Cons

Terrible supervision, doesn't seem to understand the work.
    Terrible excuse for benefits.
    Don't expect to be treated like a human being while employed.

Team members

Former Employee - Facilities Management Assistant in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Facilities Management Assistant in New Haven, CT

I worked at GCA Services part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was working at a high school where working with other workers on my shift ,also the staff and security were all professional and courtesy.

Cons

At the time there was no sick time ,holiday time,and raises.

Consider promotions,and incentives.

working at ppg/gca

I have been working at GCA Services

Pros

good people, good work, solid work

Cons

management, favoritism, work schedule, life

Disconnect between what is sold and delivered

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at GCA Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a job, however the lack of support and "the customer is always right" does not serve the ends of positive morale and culture.

Cons

I worked as a salaried Account Manager and did a great job. My custodians loved me, the staff and faculty respected me for the change in standards, but when it came to specific politics with specific administrators I did not play the game and it led to my undoing. I take partial responsibility for this failure, however when being repeatedly lied to in a septic culture one chooses between personal and professional integrity, or selling out to corporate profitability and playing the loyal dunce.

Peoples' productivity is directly related to how safe and appreciated they feel in coming to work every day. Manage by challenging the notions of initiative and integrity. Coach and be a servant leader - and at the same time talk about task ownership and pride in work done. Build trust, not animosity. Be fair to everyone and not put bulls-eyes on peoples backs. Overall, if you look at your average rating, it is 25% on this site. If this is not a wake up call, you are simply not paying attention, or you are rationalizing this site as a bunch of malcontents. In either case, in my experience, you are hiring number crunchers who lack people skills - who know what to do; but not how to get there in creating a positive experience for employees.

GCA doesn't like African Americans as account managers.

I have been working at GCA Services

Pros

Great place to work keeps you busy and I loved interacting with different people.

Cons

I wasnt in charge of my own account I was given one mop head and one box of chemicals wasn't allowed to view my contract wasn't allowed to hire or fire wasn't allowed to do anything but be the fall guy.

Check on senior regional managers and regional managers to make sure they are doing their job and not just looking to put extra money in their pocket I'm filing a discremanation lawsuit I would've loved to talk to CEO or EEO but they wouldn't let me.

Could be worse, could be so much better

Current Employee - Janitor
    Current Employee - Janitor

I have been working at GCA Services (more than 3 years)

Pros

It pays more than minimum wage. There are always sufficient supplies and they provide good tools to get the work done.

Cons

Hours! They'll cut your hours around every holiday "because the work load is lighter." Um... What?!? That is the WORST time to cut hours! It's pretty clear they don't care about the little worker bees. Even though we run efficiently, we never receive any praise outside of our account manager. They (regional managers etc.) like to claim they're going to throw us a pizza party (told us this 3 times). We've had exactly zero. Who cares, but don't lie to us. It's terribly unprofessional and disrespectful.

Cutting hours around the holidays is quite honestly one of the dirtiest moves you can make. Your "lowly" employees struggle enough already, but to take away hours around the holidays is downright cruel. If you can't figure out a way to run smoothly without cutting your employees' hours, maybe you need to reevaluate the skills and knowledge of those running your business.