GCI

Add Photos

GCI President, CEO, and Director Ron Duncan

Ron Duncan

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for!

Anchorage, AK

I have been working at GCI full-time for more than a year

ProsGCI is a very family oriented company. The benefits are good, pay is fair, and they treat their employees very well.

ConsI personally do not have any cons with the company.

A medium-sized, regional telecom that considers technical people 'a dime a dozen'.

ITS Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at GCI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHealth Benefits, Free services for employees (Quality Monitoring), flex time.

ConsYou may bank an indefinite amount of Sick Leave and Vacation but NEVER, EVER try to take any of it; the time is there indefinitely until you leave the company and then it will be paid out. Customer Service took over Tech Support so Techies no longer 'fix things', instead they have a handbook of platitudes to proffer in place of working service.

Advice to Senior Management'Promoting from within' is a often a laudable policy, but when it makes the company slow and plodding and incestuous it is time to consider outside blood. You cannot build the company's future on, "Here's how the other guy does it" if you're only going on third-hand information.

They say they want to do better, yet they don't

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GCI full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are OKAY. 401k is GREAT! Time off is GREAT. Training is OKAY but has room for good improvement and was improving when I left. Work to home life is pretty decent most of the time.

I support the actual COO - Greg C. I have never even seen Ron Duncan in the past 4 years.

ConsToo many VP's with no direct reports, the good ole boy club is holding the network back. Uninformed senior management is allowing the network to falter more and more each day. Ignored suggestions from competent people happen daily. The lack of preventative maintenance on your sites, a general lack of caring by a lot of your more tenured employees - all of this leads to a network that isn't reliable and a staff that can't maintain it.

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your people! You have hired some technicians, managers and even a director from the competition in the last few years. Put them in a room with your new CEO for 3 hours and let them tell you what you could be doing better. Start a small team with those new people that meet with Sr Management monthly about ideas they have. If you don't listen to them, they will leave and AWN will not be your saving grace that you are hoping for. You should try everything you can to keep that new blood because the grass is not greener on the other side.

Opportunities abound

Sales Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GCI full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPersonal growth opportunities, training, variety of experiences. This is a great company to get your foot in the door and rapidly climb the later. This is a tech company first and foremost.

ConsMedium size company with large company politics. If you don't like working for "the man" this isn't the company for you. There is no avoiding the politics if you want to be successful. Going above and beyond is the expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe middle management in this company seems to being trying harder to keep their jobs safe than doing a good job. Finding metrics that make you look good all the while failing to really perform is the norm.

Worth the hassle

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at GCI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReally great benefits, a feeling of unity, belief in the product and Alaska spirit and willingness to reinvest in the state. Opportunities to advance are plentiful.

ConsNot always understanding to those with family issues, management so bogged down they lose effectiveness, tendency to have senior positions open and unfilled when the job could get done by more mid level employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more mid level positions and don't hire someone for management just because they seem decisive and firm. They may just be an untalented megalomaniac with limited effective skills. The personality does not make the job.

Poor Management, no process, dissatisfied customers

Network Engineer III (Former Employee)
Anchorage, AK

I worked at GCI as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-There are some smart and hardworking people in the company
-The company seems to support local Alaskan charities

Cons-Lack of process, testing, documentation, etc, lead to nearly weekly outages in core equipment that support medical networks throughout Alaska and Washington State
-Management is ineffective in controlling personnel in network making undocumented and untested changes
-Because of the lack of engineer pool in Alaska, the network relies on the work of contractors from very many companies without any real project management to coordinate the different
-The focus on profit has led to networks built with no redundancy on refurbished equipment purchased from eBay.

Excellent Benefits

Integrated Tech Support (Current Employee)
Wasilla, AK

I have been working at GCI full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEvery year they provide employees & family members flu shots & breast examines for women over 40. If you chose not to take their health insurance (I'm covered thru retired military) I get paid almost $5,000.00 a year for not accepting their insurance. Holiday party every other year. Perfect attendance lunch every month.

ConsSome departments have a shift bid, you pick shifts 1-however many in that dept & if you are a stellar employee you most likely get the desired shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more team leads

GCI is a company who cares about it's employees and tries to provide what they view as appropriate compensation.

I have been working at GCI

ProsGCI is very business oriented and employee minded. They provide competetive benefits and incentives and annually share profits with their employees when possible. GCI cares about their employee's families and offer time off when it's necessary. They also try to create fun events their employees can participate in and support the community with donations and allowing time off for employees to participate in community service.

ConsI personally feel like I haven't been sufficiently compensated for the what I was hired to do and it was only recently that I figured this out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think GCI is a great company but I also feel that compensation review should occur more regularly and that an employee should be made aware when not being offered the industry standard at the very least for salary. I, on the other hand, should have asked more questions. It's not completely anyone's fault. I do believe that GCI is a good company to work for.

Very Nice Place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at GCI

ProsGreat experience, leading edge technology, excellent coworkers

ConsMiddle management.. will not fire ANYONE.. focus on selling versus providing service

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the 20+ year people, they are making your organization stagnant.

GCI is better than ACS

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat culture, Great benefits, Great State of Alaska

ConsGCI is a great company to work for. If there were a down side, I'd say it is the size of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job on employee retention.

Worked for GCI? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GCI reviews and ratings in Anchorage, AK — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for GCI CEO Ron Duncan. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by GCI employees.